Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2017, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
I finally bought a 15 Limited. (Don't tell my wife). I plan to use it for landscapes and architecture and would greatly appreciate any tips or tricks any of you might have using this lens. I've never shot in ultra wide angle before, there may be a learning curve...
Enjoy your lens. IMO, it's strengths are flare resistance, contrast, and starbursts from bright lights. Sharpness isn't a strong point wide open, but stop down a bit and sharpness is good across the frame for most photos (the DA 15 isn't made for taking photos of brick walls and graph paper). These samples are with my non-HD version. Expect your starbursts to be a little less dramatic because the HD version has round aperture blades..

Get a good tripod and practice Manual mode for long exposures at blue hour and night.

04-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
how does one determine if the copy is perfectly centered?
I got the impression from general use that my copy was sharper at one edge than the other, so I shot a series of tests at varying apertures with the camera square to a flat subject. It confirmed my suspicions so I sent it off for adjustment, along with the test shots documenting the problem.

It took a few weeks and a trip to Japan, but now it's sweet.
04-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Sharpness isn't a strong point wide open
On a good day mine (SMC) is not that bad wide open ...
04-19-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
For landscape shooting, accounting the field-curvature and practice both manual and auto focus with this lens. I guess it truth for any ultra-wide lens when you can get a very sharp center but 1/3 of the rest of the frame is a bit soft because the corners are moving back from the sharp focus in the center. (Hope my English is not too confusing.)
I have made a touch of paint to place manually ideal focus for distant scene (>30 meters).

04-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I own the older 15mm Limited. This lens is the primary reason I switched to Pentax from Canon. Having said that, I used to own the Sigma10-20 for Canon.

In my opinion....

The 15mm limited is wonderful for its Sharpness, Color/Contrast, and small size.
The 10-20 Sigma is Sharp, Provides Contrast, Colors are not quite as punchy but still good, cheaper, more versatile for indoor shots.

If you think you will use it for interior shots often, you should highly consider the 10-20 as you will find a lot of use @ 10mm. If you shoot outside mostly, let your feet zoom for you and enjoy the benefits and unique qualities of the 15mm Limited.
04-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lens works best for spatially complex shots where the lack of border sharpness is obscured by the geometry of the scene. It's great for dynamic people shots. The center sharpness is imho good wide open.

I use it for architecture and people. For straight on architecture facades it's a bit weak due to field curvature and unsharp borders. For more spatial shots it's great.
04-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I got the impression from general use that my copy was sharper at one edge than the other, so I shot a series of tests at varying apertures with the camera square to a flat subject. It confirmed my suspicions so I sent it off for adjustment, along with the test shots documenting the problem.

It took a few weeks and a trip to Japan, but now it's sweet.
Sandy, where did you send it to for repair and how much did it cost?

04-20-2017, 04:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Sandy, where did you send it to for repair and how much did it cost?
I handed to the girl at the front desk of the C.R.Kennedy office in Adelaide. It was sent to the service department in Melbourne, where they ascertained it needed to go to Japan. They repaired the focussing helicoid and replaced two lens elements.
I think it cost about $200 all up.
04-20-2017, 04:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I handed to the girl at the front desk of the C.R.Kennedy office in Adelaide. It was sent to the service department in Melbourne, where they ascertained it needed to go to Japan. They repaired the focussing helicoid and replaced two lens elements.
I think it cost about $200 all up.
Good to know!
05-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I came across a used Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 at a very good price and ordered it. Looking forward to my first ultra-wide!