Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Vintage Glass

Looking to get into some vintage glass and looking for some advice, i have heard about Takamur and maybe a couple of other brands. I am looking at maybe a 35mm and a 135mm and looking for maybe 1 more. I have never used an old lens on a dslr so know nothing, i know you have to be in manual, but where do you set the aperture ?. on the lens ?. Also what other lenses fit the K-S2 ?. I have a M42 adaptor but really know nothing more than that
Thanks In Advance
Tim

04-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went through all 402 pages in 'The M Club', i now have the M28 f2,8, M100 f4 macro and M200 f4 for my K-70 😊
The M Club! - PentaxForums.com
Manual aperture on the M lenses. Enable 'Using Aperture Ring', in menu C4,24.
In manual mode, use the green button to set correct exposure, liveview to focus using focus peaking - voliá.

Last edited by DrawsACircle; 04-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.
04-19-2017, 12:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will also get focus confirmation in the viewfinder ..green hexagon, but practice using your eyesight too !

---------- Post added 04-19-2017 at 08:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I went through all 402 pages in 'The M Club'
Thanks for pointing that thread out, I had forgotten all about it. I have quite a collection of the M series now...every one of them from 20mm to 400mm. I was using the M 200 f4 only two days ago.....

04-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great picture pschlute! Guess I wouldn't mind having them all, I like the build and feel of the M lenses.
Btw. Wizhunter, if you haven't allready been there, check out the fantastic lens database on this site, makes it much easier for everyone to make a looong wishlist for whatever next occasion 😊

04-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
Looking to get into some vintage glass and looking for some advice, i have heard about Takamur and maybe a couple of other brands. I am looking at maybe a 35mm and a 135mm and looking for maybe 1 more. I have never used an old lens on a dslr so know nothing, i know you have to be in manual, but where do you set the aperture ?. on the lens ?. Also what other lenses fit the K-S2 ?. I have a M42 adaptor but really know nothing more than that
Thanks In Advance
Tim
Check this article out:

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
04-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.......and also check out this site...loads of good detailed info here....Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

The old K and M series are fantastic value, most sport great optics, and as DrawsACircle says have a great feel to them too. All metal construction, but light and compact and the smooooooothest focus throw you have ever handled.

Some advice though...............

always use a hood with them and dont let bright direct sunlight get into your shot........ they are more prone to flare than modern lenses and digital cameras accentuate this.

they can be prone to Chromatic aberation also in high contrast shots.... tree branches against the sky for example. But this can be removed in pp.
04-19-2017, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

always use a hood with them and dont let bright direct sunlight get into your shot........ they are more prone to flare than modern lenses and digital cameras accentuate this.

they can be prone to Chromatic aberation also in high contrast shots.... tree branches against the sky for example. But this can be removed in pp.
Both of these need to be remembered when composing your shots. The older lenses don't have modern coatings, and were never intended for most of the "pixel-peeping" resolution. This doesn't mean they won't resolve at that level, but you may notice artifacts.

Get some of the collapsible rubber hoods which screw into the lenses and you'll solve half your problems, and get great contrast.
04-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the links and advice guys, if i was wanting to get FA fit lenses would i need an adaptor for them ?

Tim

04-20-2017, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You won't need an adapter for FA lenses. Anything from K-mount will work without adapters. Screw-mount (M42) will need an adapter.