Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
In fact there was a much more common AF version of this lens. However, the AF version has an inscription below the focus ring that reads "SIGMA AUTO FOCUS". Although I have collected more than 4500 (pictures of) K-mount lenses and variants of lenses in the past 5 years, I have never come across this rare thing. Anyway, all the advice you got in this thread is true: It is definitely a manual focus lens and it appears not to be broken.
Didn't know I own such a rare lens. Here's a quick n' dirty snap of the AF K-mount version. MF/AF selector is just above the tripod-mount ring, although the text on mine has worn off some. You can click on the image to see a larger version.

Daniel, I would keep the lens if I were you, assuming you didn't pay too much. Ask for a partial refund if it was advertised as AF. It's truly a keeper.

04-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Didn't know I own such a rare lens. Here's a quick n' dirty snap of the AF K-mount version. MF/AF selector is just above the tripod-mount ring, although the text on mine has worn off some. You can click on the image to see a larger version.

Daniel, I would keep the lens if I were you, assuming you didn't pay too much. Ask for a partial refund if it was advertised as AF. It's truly a keeper.
I'm into it for $150, now. It is absolutely mint, so it should work well. Going to keep it, but needed the AF. My eyes are not what they used to be, so fast MF focusing is not happening. Not sure how that will work with wildlife, but we'll see. Going to keep a lookout for an AF version. Also eyeballing a Sigma 120-400. Maybe I'll find a good used copy sub 400.
04-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Catch in Focus with my manual lenses to shoot birds. Might be something you could check into for your manual focus 400mm.
04-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #19
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Didn't know I own such a rare lens....
Sorry to disappoint you. My words were a bit misleading. The MF-Version of this lens is the rare beast, the AF version can be found on Ebay every once in a while.