Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It was thirty years ago. I was young, strong, fit, and reckless. It remains the single most remarkable thing I have probably ever done.
Unfortunately my Pentax PC35AF died on day two, so I have no worthwhile photos. I wrote an epic poem instead
I hope the poem survived. I'm sure it would make great reading - like Beowulf or an Icelandic saga perhaps?

04-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all... Ouch! A painful price to pay for visiting Tasmania. But the way I'm wired I'd mark it down as worth the price. Getting to see wonderful places is what brought me back to photography, not the other way around. The main problem with Tasmania, though, is that it's about as far from home as it's possible to get Would love to go anyway. If only you guys could shift to a proper time zone...

Hope you can get your lens fixed even if it looks unlikely.

04-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks to everyone for your sympathy. And for refraining from saying what I said to myself: "You clumsy idiot".

That's what I feared. Your damage looks similar. Doesn't seem much hope of a fix.

Thanks for that. I took the view some time ago that travel insurance wasn't worth it, given the premiums and the excess. So this is covered by my "self-insurance" instead.
I can't even blame the conditions. It was a little boat which had just moored in calm waters.

I always suspected that you had supernatural powers Sandy. Now I know. It was at Melaleuca. And yes, neither the hut nor the bird hide had a Pentax repairer.

I was really warming to the lens too. PLM is the future.
Not travel insurance necessarily, but some Home & Contents policies cover things like cameras when removed from the home - I know, i found that hard to believe as well, but my Westpac H&C does. Then there's the usual issue of excess to weigh against the cost of a repair or replacement. Good luck!
04-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Give it to the locals to fix, they got double the brain power as any mainlander!

04-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
First of all... Ouch! A painful price to pay for visiting Tasmania. But the way I'm wired I'd mark it down as worth the price. Getting to see wonderful places is what brought me back to photography, not the other way around.
I like the positive thinking. I bought the lens with the Tassie trip in mind. For me, photography is part of the experience of a beautiful place. I haven't processed the photos yet, but I think I got some very good shots with the PLM. I would buy it again if it proves to be unrepairable. At least it's a current lens and is replaceable - so in the end it's a dollar cost.
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The main problem with Tasmania, though, is that it's about as far from home as it's possible to get Would love to go anyway. If only you guys could shift to a proper time zone...
But hey it's just a plane trip away.

QuoteOriginally posted by nifty_shot Quote
Not travel insurance necessarily, but some Home & Contents policies cover things like cameras when removed from the home - I know, i found that hard to believe as well, but my Westpac H&C does. Then there's the usual issue of excess to weigh against the cost of a repair or replacement. Good luck!
Good point. Our CGU H&C policy does cover loss or damage to valuables (which is defined to include photographic equipment) anywhere. But there is a $500 excess - and that is what the lens cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Give it to the locals to fix, they got double the brain power as any mainlander!
Bit of duck tape, hay twine, fencing wire, araldite and cable ties and Bob's your uncle.
08-08-2017, 09:25 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The PLM is back from the dead!

Hallelujah!

C R Kennedy (official Australian distributor for Pentax) sent the lens on to Ricoh in Japan for repair. I was told it would take about 6 weeks or so, and the cost estimate was $A250-300. It took a little longer than that, but CRK very kindly waived the charges because of the delay.

The repair report said, "repaired rear barrel, replace pc board, clean and test". Seems as good as new.

Bouquets to CRK and to Ricoh.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sad lens stories.

But no neck strap to originally catch the 55-300 and camera?

08-08-2017, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sad lens stories.

But no neck strap to originally catch the 55-300 and camera?
I was nursing the camera on my knee while sitting in a seat while the boat was docking. I can't remember whether I was holding it by the strap or by the grip, but I dropped it when I stood up after the boat was moored. I guess the lesson is, at the least, to have the strap wrapped around my wrist if it's not around my neck.