Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens!

It should look like this.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-21-2017, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And not like this.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Story?
04-21-2017, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This was the result of a half-metre (18") fall onto the deck of a boat, while in the wilds of South-West Tasmania. (The camera it was attached to was OK.) I was nursing the camera (with lens attached) and dropped it when I stood up. I think the lens hood hit the deck first. None of the elements appears to be damaged, but I fear that it may be unrepairable anyway.

I have sent it to C R Kennedy for assessment.

I hadn't brought my old DA-L 55-300 on the trip unfortunately. I had the 18-135 and FA*300 (amongst others), but I did miss the zoom on the rest of the trip.

Last edited by Des; 04-22-2017 at 12:29 AM.
04-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ouch, that a big Break
04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh wow, I'm sorry to see that. I hate it when I do stuff like that, just makes my stomach sink. And if I were on a boat, I'd be motion sick to boot, so that would not have made a good day...
04-21-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #7

What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens!

Same thing happened to me with my 16-85 last September. Worst feeling ever! Mine was not repairable.

Last edited by doroth2; 04-21-2017 at 06:17 PM.
04-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry guys, these are sickening.
04-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - sucks to say the least. Sorry to see this. Doing a lot of sailing myself, I can appreciate something like this happening. Perhaps too late now, but reinforces having some form of insurance (PAF on home owner's may be cheapest) on certain lenses depending on how you use them and replacement cost. Hope it can be repaired. Post back if it can or not - would be interesting to know.
04-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No chance of getting that repaired in Melaleuca....
04-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry to see that. You might see about taking the internals out and maybe turning it into a pencil holder or a really cool cup if its not repairable.

04-21-2017, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your sympathetic responses. And for refraining from saying what I said to myself: "You clumsy idiot".

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Same thing happened to me with my 16-85 last September. Worst feeling ever! Mine was not repairable.
That's what I feared. Your damage looks similar. Doesn't seem much hope of a fix.
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Wow - sucks to say the least. Sorry to see this. Doing a lot of sailing myself, I can appreciate something like this happening. Perhaps too late now, but reinforces having some form of insurance (PAF on home owner's may be cheapest) on certain lenses depending on how you use them and replacement cost. Hope it can be repaired. Post back if it can or not - would be interesting to know.
Thanks for that. I took the view some time ago that travel insurance wasn't worth it, given the premiums and the excess. So this is covered by my "self-insurance" instead.
I can't even blame the conditions. It was a little boat which had just moored in calm waters.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No chance of getting that repaired in Melaleuca....
I always suspected that you had supernatural powers Sandy. Now I know. It was at Melaleuca. And yes, neither the hut nor the bird hide had a Pentax repairer.

I was really warming to the lens too. PLM is the future.

Last edited by Des; 04-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.
04-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I always suspected that you had supernatural powers Sandy. Now I know. It was at Melaleuca.
Big navigable lake in the South West with an out of focus mountain in the background....

I have only seen Melaleuca from the summit of Federation Peak, but it seemed a reasonable guess
04-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Big navigable lake in the South West with an out of focus mountain in the background....

I have only seen Melaleuca from the summit of Federation Peak, but it seemed a reasonable guess
It could have been a cruise from Strahan (although I guess I would have described that as West rather than SW). The fact that you have been to the summit of Federation Peak does show supernatural powers. We flew over it on the way back and I see now why the Arthur Range is regarded with awe amongst bushwalkers: Bushwalking - Tasmania - Federation Peak

The whole area of SW Tasmania is just remarkable. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the natural world. For those who don't feel up to a long, hard, multi-day walk, the soft option is pricey but fabulous: A Day in the Wilderness Tour | Par Avion Wilderness Tours (The cost doubles if you break a $500 lens in the process.)
04-22-2017, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The fact that you have been to the summit of Federation Peak does show supernatural powers.
It was thirty years ago. I was young, strong, fit, and reckless. It remains the single most remarkable thing I have probably ever done.
Unfortunately my Pentax PC35AF died on day two, so I have no worthwhile photos. I wrote an epic poem instead