Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Possible Da* 50-135 Bargain... (Advice Needed!!)

Hello everybody!
I recently came across a faulty Da* 50-135,
The lens was clearly dropped and therefore sustained some cosmetic damage on the front area. also the focus ring doesn't seem to be working properly.
On a further check i noticed a bent internal metallic ring. In my own assumption, that is the cause of the focus malfunction. (picture is not from actual lens)

I also thought about passing in auto focus mode, I connected it to my K-30 but the focus didn't move a bit, so i thought the sdm motor must be dead.

Anyway, I am aware of the sdm to screw drive conversion and I think i can perform it, but the problem is, i have to buy the lens in order to take it home with me.

Here's the fun part: the item is priced for 70 euros, and its optically perfect, no scratches or dust or anything! needless to say a jaw dropping view for any pentaxian who knows what a DA* is.

But this might seem a bit more positive of a situation than it actually is, so here are my questions:

1. Do I have any chance to bypass the faulty focus by passing to screw drive?
2. can i attempt to perform surgery on my own on this lens to see if i can fix the faulty ring?(if so any advice or resource would be much appriciated)

BTW: I have some experience from successfully disassembling my dal-18-55. Yes, i know the Da* is more complex and sealed weatherproof.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

04-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

turn the screw for the focus drive with a small screwdriver and make sure that all the parts move freely.

if it's locked up then you'll have to dig much deeper, if not then a screwdrive conversion will likely work out for you.

i have a feeling that you won't get this result though, as the focus ring and screwdrive perform essentially the same duty.
04-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks wibbly, will try that!