Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ultraviolet lens paint

I've noticed that some of my lenses have areas with paint that glows under an ultraviolet light.

Any reason why this would be? Just coincidence?

04-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paint may include optical brighteners, special pigments that absorb light in the UV spectrum and re-emit it in the visible (usually Blue) portion of the spectrum. It is used to make the paint appear "whiter" or cleaner. Optical brighteners can also be found in paper, textiles and plastics for the same reason. If you want to get freaked out, put a UV light on your laundry detergent, it will also glow (its the optical brighteners they put into the detergent to make colors and whites brighter).

And yes, these agents, although benign, find there way into the water systems (stream and rivers). I wonder how long it will be before turtles and fish glow under UV light!

Regards,
04-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sunlight has a fair amount of UV in it so paint companies often add UV-fluorescing compounds to create brighter colors. That would be especially useful for thin paints being applied to black surfaces.
04-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Optical brighteners can also be found in paper, textiles and plastics for the same reason.
OBAs also degrade over time, so if you are into printing your photos I recommend OBA free paper.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
And yes, these agents, although benign, find there way into the water systems (stream and rivers). I wonder how long it will be before turtles and fish glow under UV light!
You can already buy them, they are called Glo-Fish. (It's more from genetic engineering than OBAs, though.)

04-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My recent UV "black light" story:

I noticed the skin of my hand was all blotchy. Not just a rash, it looked like my skin was peeling off. A moment of panic: what skin disease was this!? Then I realized I spilled a little bit of coffee on my hand a few minutes prior and the hallway has a UV light.
04-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My recent UV "black light" story:

I noticed the skin of my hand was all blotchy. Not just a rash, it looked like my skin was peeling off. A moment of panic: what skin disease was this!? Then I realized I spilled a little bit of coffee on my hand a few minutes prior and the hallway has a UV light.
Yeah, UV has a way of revealing nasty things.
04-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Yeah, UV has a way of revealing nasty things.
Try looking in your lavatory room. Quite distressing.