Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Tamron Adaptall 52BB 90mm Macro lens problem

i have a large blue area in the middle of the image which seems to show more when using it as a standard lens than using it for macro. any ideas as to what the problem is with it?

04-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it may be sensor reflection
04-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've read several accounts of how the 52B and 52BB both exhibit this 'blue spot' issue, due to sensor reflection...
04-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you using a hood? That might help reduce some reflections. Might.

04-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope this helps.

There are some other threads regarding the same problem.
Not sure how to link this thread but if you search the forums for this;

Tamron 90mm SP BBAR Problem

It will provide some info.
04-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for replies, have just found a long discussion on the subject and you are correct. i have found that no spot occurs when i use a Teleplus 1.5x converter or since the sky has clouded over so will have to remember this in future. think i may keep my eye out for a Sigma 105 or maybe the present version of the Tamron.
04-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redbusa Quote
thanks for replies, have just found a long discussion on the subject and you are correct. i have found that no spot occurs when i use a Teleplus 1.5x converter or since the sky has clouded over so will have to remember this in future. think i may keep my eye out for a Sigma 105 or maybe the present version of the Tamron.
Tamron made a nice 2X flat field TC that solves the problem...

04-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Tamron made a nice 2X flat field TC that solves the problem...

Or the extension tube...TAMRON EXTENSION TUBE 18F FOR TAMRON SP 90
04-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or the 72B version of the Adaptall-2 lens - it does not seem to exhibit this issue....
04-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Or the extension tube...TAMRON EXTENSION TUBE 18F FOR TAMRON SP 90
Would the extension solve the sensor reflection problem? My understanding is that the Tamron's rear element is flat and acts like a mirror, reflecting the shine of the sensor back onto the sensor. I figure a TC would rectify this because it's introducing a non-flat optical element in front of the sensor: a simple extension tube would not. It would just be moving the flat, reflecting culprit further from the sensor. Is that enough to reduce the reflection?
04-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Would the extension solve the sensor reflection problem? My understanding is that the Tamron's rear element is flat and acts like a mirror, reflecting the shine of the sensor back onto the sensor. I figure a TC would rectify this because it's introducing a non-flat optical element in front of the sensor: a simple extension tube would not. It would just be moving the flat, reflecting culprit further from the sensor. Is that enough to reduce the reflection?

Good point and I don't know the answer to that.
04-27-2017, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Good point and I don't know the answer to that.
note however that the extension tube will add some baffling of excessive light if it is well designed, and therefore may reduce the stray light that is giving you trouble.less light hitting the sensor will lead to less reflection. the same as diffuse light, and low contrast situations seem to also help. perhaps that is where the extension tube comes in, you are getting more diffuse light in a macro shot than a normal shot