Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sigma 17-70C and while you can shoot into the sun with it, it does show some flare. In comparison to my original version of the DA 18-55 from my K10D, it handles flare much better. In comparison to my DA 15 and DA 40 Limiteds, it flares a lot more. All that said, my 17-70 is my everyday walk around lens and performs well in just about any condition I have ever shot in.

If you like to shoot into the sun, I think one of the Limited primes belongs in your bag. They have a reputation for flare resistance and the DA 15 Limited SMC version is legendary for into the sun landscapes and spectacular starbursts. I haven't used the DA 20-40 Limited zoom so I don't know how it compares to the primes for flare resistance. Always keep in mind that when shooting into bright light sources, your front element needs to be spotlessly clean and a filter can become a flare culprit too.

04-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course primes are better than zooms in terms of flare control, generally speaking; and at least in the K-Mount, it's hard to beat the limiteds, especially the DA 15 and the DA 35. I also own the DA 12-24 and DA 16-85. In terms of flare control, the DA 16-85 is a little better than the DA 12-24.
05-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I used the 16-45mm for a few years and upgraded to the Sigma 17-50. Your statement about flare is overstated, that has not been my experience at all. It's no DA 15mm, but it's a zoom, not a prime. I think the 17-50's tendency to expose to the right, vs. the 16-45's tendency to underexpose by half a stop may be misleading some. All around IQ on that lens is spectacular (for a zoom).
Many thanks for the information, Dan. Much appreciated! The Sigma 17-50/2.8 would suit me really well as I have a whole kit of 77mm filters from my Nikon days.

I based my opinion about it's poor flare resistance on several websites. First on the reviews of users on Juza. It's an Italian forum which I frequently visit. Several of the users complain about the poor flare resistance of the 17-50 so I removed the lens of my list knowing the flare would certainly annoy me. Here are the reviews : Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM : Specifications and Opinions | JuzaPhoto

Also the pictures shown on Lenstip didn't convince me, especially at 17mm F8: Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM review - Ghosting and flares - LensTip.com

And then there is of course the comparison with the Pentax 16-50 and Tamron 17-50 on this website where it is stated that "The Sigma performs worst of all, often overexposing and losing significant contrast with the sun in the frame, and usually showing really ugly flare patterns."

Probably, as adviced by several members, it is best to have a prime like the 15/4 in your kit in combination with the DA35 or 20-40. This topic is really useful for me as only now I'm starting to understand the advantages of a combination of a zoom together with the Pentax primes. Thanks to you all!

Last edited by Dannyv; 05-01-2017 at 12:57 AM.