I read lots of words but don't see too many pictures
Remember what is said about Daffodils :

'A thousand pictures - one Wordsworth'.

05-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
Here is a link to nicolas06 flickr gallery (he is my son):<br />
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolasbousquet/" target="_blank">Nicolas | Flickr</a>
Firstly,I assume you have your son's permission to post that link.
Secondly,access to someone's complete Flickr content isn't quite the same as posting individual pictures to illustrate a particular strength (or weakness) of a lens or demonstrate a technique.

And third,some nice pictures there,especially like the recent carnival shots.

Last edited by timb64; 05-16-2017 at 11:19 AM.
05-17-2017, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Firstly,I assume you have your son's permission to post that link.
Secondly,access to someone's complete Flickr content isn't quite the same as posting individual pictures to illustrate a particular strength (or weakness) of a lens or demonstrate a technique.

And third,some nice pictures there,especially like the recent carnival shots.
Firstly, the link accesses to his public pictures only, so everybody who wants can access.
Secondly, I was not demonstrating anything, just answering to the statement "i dont see many pictures".
Third, I am glad you liked his carnaval shots; Here is one of my shots at the Menton "Fête des citrons" we attended together (from my filckr gallery....).

Off topic of course.....
But nicolas06 also posted several pictures this way
This one, from his flickr public gallery , is a littlemore on topic (shot with DA15 in Spain, october 2015):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolasbousquet/21818208573/in/album-72157659862067660/

Last edited by Tatouzou; 05-17-2017 at 05:34 AM.
05-17-2017, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

"Zoom with your feet" is an incomplete philosophy.

Perspective angles and relative sizes of foreground and background objects are important photo elements. Moving to a different spot changes those relationships. Lens zoom and cropping are very useful techniques that can help manipulate perspective.

Terrain is another factor. Canyons, cliffs, buildings, rivers, and roads limit movement.

Finally, time is a factor even when you can zoom with your feet. A photo opportunity might evaporate by the time you reposition.

Here's an example where I would have liked to go wider. Shifting directly backwards was impossible because of a wall behind me. Shifting to the left placed a streetlamp in front of my lens. It's a DA 15mm on crop body, not 28mm, but it still illustrates that a wider angle lens can sometimes do things that can't be done with feet.

05-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 35mm film almost exclusively. I never got on with 28mm focal length.
I consider 35mm "normal". 28mm isn't wide enough to be wide; 24mm is.

I surmise 24mm is useful for APS-C as it is equivalent to 35mm in full-frame.

Chris
05-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yet I have a FA-J full frame 18-35 ƒ4 to ƒ5.6. It's a terrible lens, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do it right. It's very light, if it was worth anything at all I'd take it everywhere. Anytime I get too happy, I just put it on the camera, take a few frames, look at them on the computer and that solves that.

It seems sharp enough to out resolve any sensor we've put it on, K-3 or K-5 or K-1, but I haven't tried it on the ultimate resolution tester, the Q.
I'm curious, why do you think the FA-J 18-35 is a terrible lens? I picked one up recently and I like it a lot. Is it cheaply made/flimsy? Maybe a bit, but I seem to get good shots from my K-1 with it. For the price a D FA 15-30 (Which I'd love to have BTW) would cost me, I can buy 10 of the 18-35.

For me, it's a bargain of a lens.
05-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
I'm curious, why do you think the FA-J 18-35 is a terrible lens? I picked one up recently and I like it a lot. Is it cheaply made/flimsy? Maybe a bit, but I seem to get good shots from my K-1 with it. For the price a D FA 15-30 (Which I'd love to have BTW) would cost me, I can buy 10 of the 18-35.

For me, it's a bargain of a lens.
I suspect Graigbob, that even though it was bought old new stock, my lens is on the bottom end of the "within technical parameters" evaluation, while yours is at the top end. Mine purple fringes like crazy, a sure sign it is out of alignment. Trouble is I paid $100 for it. DO i really want to spend money trying to get it repaired? I am happy to here yours is good. Then I see my lens as a gamble that didn't pay off, as opposed to assuming I was absolutely out of my mind.

I brought the Sigma 8-16 along thinking I'd use it on the K-3, but then I thought, "try it on the K-1, what have you got to lose?"

I can't tell you how much happier I am with the K-1 being able to use the Sigma at 14-16mm.

At 16mm

At 14mm

At 11mm and cropped to 19.1 MP.

16mm may be too wide, but, I can always crop. With 28 instead of 24 or 20, there was nothing I could do.

05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I suspect Graigbob, that even though it was bought old new stock, my lens is on the bottom end of the "within technical parameters" evaluation, while yours is at the top end. Mine purple fringes like crazy, a sure sign it is out of alignment. Trouble is I paid $100 for it. DO i really want to spend money trying to get it repaired? I am happy to here yours is good. Then I see my lens as a gamble that didn't pay off, as opposed to assuming I was absolutely out of my mind.

I brought the Sigma 8-16 along thinking I'd use it on the K-3, but then I thought, "try it on the K-1, what have you got to lose?"

I can't tell you how much happier I am with the K-1 being able to use the Sigma at 14-16mm.

At 16mm

At 14mm

At 11mm and cropped to 19.1 MP.

16mm may be too wide, but, I can always crop. With 28 instead of 24, there was nothing I could do.
Beautiful shots.

Here's one I got with the 18-35 @ 18mm

05-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Beautiful shots.

Here's one I got with the 18-35 @ 18mm
Now I feel like I was robbed.