Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 HELP Please~I have tried everything & having trouble with focus~AF & Manual

Hello.
I feel certain that there will be a simple solution to this but, I am losing what is left of my mind,
trying to figure it out.

I usually keep my camera on aperture priority but, I had a shoot yesterday where everything
was clicking along perfectly but, when the model put on red lipstick, the focus shifted from
her eyes to her mouth.

Nothing I did would change the focus on any priority or AF mode so, manual would work
perfectly, right? Wrong.

I have searched YouTube for videos about this, consulted my manual & consulted the great
ebook I bought on this forum & I am either a complete moron (the jury is still out) or my K-3
is buggy.... can you help?

05-05-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #2

Which lens?
05-05-2017, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did your lens physically malfunction? It's rare but possible, either the quick shift mechanism (on lenses with silent AF) or gearing (on screwdrive lenses) can break. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2017, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a recent thread here about this same issue. Did the camera change from landscape to portrait orientation when the focus went off?

05-05-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #5

Are you using Face Detect in Live View? The live view face detect uses multiple focus points and an algorithm, so it may not always focus on the eyes.

Did you try setting a specific focus point? If you select a specific focus point and put it right on the eyes the camera should work perfectly.

Last edited by Bman; 05-05-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed quote of entire first post
05-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lens I used is the Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6.

I did change out to a 50mm once but I didn't like the results & went back to the 28-105mm.

I kept it on portrait orientation during the entire shoot!
05-05-2017, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
I usually keep my camera on aperture priority but, I had a shoot yesterday where everything
was clicking along perfectly but, when the model put on red lipstick, the focus shifted from
her eyes to her mouth.
Your exposure mode (aperture priority) does not affect AF operation.

The nature of your problem is unclear to me. Initially, I thought that you were using AF auto-27 or auto-9 and the camera merely settled on the lips rather than the eyes. Then I reread and became quite confused. A few questions:

General...
  • What lens? Edit: You posted while I was typing.

Let's rule out the lens...
  • Does AF work in live view when using a simple subject (flat surface at moderate distance)?
  • Are you able to manual focus using magnified live view (press OK in live view to magnify the display)
If both of the above are true, it is probably not the lens. That leaves the PDAF (viewfinder AF) system.

More questions...
  • Regardless of accuracy, are you consistently able to attain focus (green hexagon) on various subjects?
  • Are you using AF-S, AF-C, or AF-A(auto)?
  • Are you using a fixed AF point?
  • If using other than AF-S/focus-priority, are you certain that focus was attained (green hexagon lit) when you released the shutter? (The EXIF for the exposure may offer a clue here.)
  • If you are certain that focus was attained, are you certain that the AF point was at your intended point of focus?
  • Added: Are you using the back button for focus?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My troubleshooting has consisted of me throwing the camera over a bridge....

Seriously, I have been troubleshooting with my manual & the ebook & I haven't gotten anywhere.
It never occurred to me that it might be the lens. It is a relatively new lens that I bought in Dec/16.
Has never been dropped or anything but babied!
05-05-2017, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #9

Well at least the K-3 is tough enough to survive being thrown over a bridge...

Last edited by Bman; 05-05-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I haven't figured out how to reply without quoting the previous post lol
05-05-2017, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
My troubleshooting has consisted of me throwing the camera over a bridge....

Seriously, I have been troubleshooting with my manual & the ebook & I haven't gotten anywhere.
It never occurred to me that it might be the lens. It is a relatively new lens that I bought in Dec/16.
Has never been dropped or anything but babied!
Go ahead and test its manual focusing and AF capabilities (preferably in live view, since it's easier to see changes in the focus), and let us know.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2017, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single focus point, or multiple?
I can only think that the lipstick has higher contrast, and attracted the autofocus' attention. If you use focus point selection, perhaps you can select one in the eye region.
05-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will be in a meeting until 5pm but then I will get back to everyone & troubleshoot~

I have it on AF-S and I think it is the focus selection that I need to pinpoint.

I will be back & thank you all sooooo much!~ I love living in the SOLUTION
rather than the problem!
05-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a lot of ways the complexity of these tools can confuse.
05-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oK, I am dead on my feet & have to get to a birthday party but, I will pick this back up tomorrow~
I missed some really great shots because of this & I cannot afford to have it happen again!
05-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Single focus point, or multiple?
I can only think that the lipstick has higher contrast, and attracted the autofocus' attention. If you use focus point selection, perhaps you can select one in the eye region.
+1 ....