Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who knew size mattered...

Just got the Sigma 70mm macro for a walk-around lens on my K100D.

The Sigma is a brick. A very good brick to be sure -- wonderful macro, sharp as a tack -- but a brick none the less. And on a "smaller" camera like the the K100 it seems I'm always walking downhill and balancing against gravity.

Who knew how good my K100D + 50mm f/1.4 camera/lens combination is for size/weight/handling ease? The difference between the camera with the FA50 and camera with the Sigma 70 macro is 329 grams, or 11+ ounces.

Since I really like the 70mm range, looks like another Adorama return and exchange for either the DA70 or FA 77. Who knew those optically wonderful Pentax primes had more to offer than just image quality? Size does matter,
FHPhotographer

08-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've given a little bit of thought to trading the A100 macro in for something shorter--either something like the Sigma 70 or one of the Pentax 70s. The Pentax lenses definitely have a size advantage, but my concern is that I'd miss the closeup capabilities that a macro lens provides.

If you really don't need the closeup feature of the Sigma 70, then it looks like you're making the right decision by trading it for a smaller lens.

Heather
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yah, I was guessing the Sigma might feel that way (why do I think of big boobs here?). The DA70is light as a feather and small as Twiggy's chest. If macro's important and you're willing to stretch from 70 a bit, you might want to feel out the Tamron 90, definitely not as busty as the Sigma.
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the sigma is heavy because it is built well. the tamron 90 and the pentax dfa's pale in terms of build quality.

i'm a bit confused you're giving up the macro for a non-macro lens. i guess only the focal length was important and not the closeup ability :S ?

08-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the sigma is heavy because it is built well. the tamron 90 and the pentax dfa's pale in terms of build quality.

i'm a bit confused you're giving up the macro for a non-macro lens. i guess only the focal length was important and not the closeup ability :S ?
that's about it... if wanted the focal length and took the macro capability as a bonus. I doubt I'd use the macro on more than one out of 10 shots, so I'm guessing it adds weight and complexity without real benefit (for me). Also, are you saying the Pentax 70 isn't well built, or just not at the same build level as the Sigma?
FHPhotog
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Meh,...to each his own I guess. I have the Sigma 70 and absolutely love it. It is a big lens, and heavy, but the build quality and the images it produces are amazing.

I tested the Sigma 70 to the DA70 and found no appreciable difference between the shots. The cost was about the same too. The deciding feature for me was the 0.91:1 macro function.

If you're not going to use the macro then the DA70 is your choice.

c[_]
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FH,
My solution to the problem was to order a battery grip, so that the lens weight is better supported. This way all of my longer lenses are easier to carry. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but it should work well with my 28-70mm/2.8 zoom. I use the 70mm end alot, just as I did with my 105mm with film.

Dave
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a battery grip would be nice but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
FH,
My solution to the problem was to order a battery grip, so that the lens weight is better supported. This way all of my longer lenses are easier to carry. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but it should work well with my 28-70mm/2.8 zoom. I use the 70mm end alot, just as I did with my 105mm with film.

Dave
Wish I had that option, but as far as I know there is no battery grip available for the K100D,
FHPhotog

08-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
that's about it... if wanted the focal length and took the macro capability as a bonus. I doubt I'd use the macro on more than one out of 10 shots, so I'm guessing it adds weight and complexity without real benefit (for me). Also, are you saying the Pentax 70 isn't well built, or just not at the same build level as the Sigma?
FHPhotog
i've never handled the sigma, but i know from what people have read the build quality is quite excellent.

the Limiteds are very well built from my experience, i have the DA21 and FA Limiteds and they are all excellent, all metal bodies if you're into that sorta thing
09-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote

Size does matter,
FHPhotographer
No. Perspective matters.