Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Does switching to crop actually change IQ?
It lets the DA lens correction profiles kick in.

05-07-2017, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Does switching to crop actually change IQ? Is it not the same as cropping in pp? I don't have a K-1 yet so I do not know.

As for the DA40, I bought that at first release when I was shooting with an MZ-S. I carefully compared the DA against the original SMC-M pancake using slide film, and the DA gave the exact same coverage as the SMC-M. I still have those slides and see no vignetting in the corners.
Switching to crop certainly improves the corner resolution (by cropping out the corners of course) AND the K-1 applies lens corrections to the limited just as if it was a crop body, so yes it improves IQ. The lens corrections are not available in FF mode on the K-1. The K-1 crop mode sensor resolution (~15 MP) is roughly equal to the K-5ii so it very usable. There is also a 1:1 crop mode which will clean up the corners of most lenses delivering about ~24 MP as a square photo but without the benefit of the lens corrections. If you shoot only RAW and are willing to spend some time in post-processing, lens corrections are not a big deal (I shoot RAW+JPEG). In addition, moving to crop mode changes metering, AF point coverage, and frame capture rate. In crop mode, the frame rate goes up to nearly match the K-3 which is very handy in certain situations.

I also have the M-pancake and I agree that the DA40 is almost identical in coverage to the SMC-40. The newer DA lens has higher contrast and more flare resistance so I rarely use the M-pancake except on my film bodies where it is excellent. I have found that wide open, it is important to remove the hood of the DA40 when in use on the K-1. Vignetting goes up ever so slightly when left on. The DA40 looks like the twin of the SMC-40 with the hood removed :-)

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 05-07-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: incomplete