Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2017, 02:14 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA40 Limited on FF is a joy

Whenever I mount the DA 40 Limited on my K1, I half-expect to be disappointed. After all, this is not a FF lens, it shouldn't really work. And I have seen some less-than-perfect corners on occasion. However, far more often I am just blown away by the results. It's a beautiful lens on APS-C, but somehow the 40mm focal length just works better for me on FF.

I was out shooting the laneways and arcades of Melbourne on a grey rainy afternoon yesterday, using just the DA40, DA70 (another allegedly crop lens), and the DFA 15-30, all on the K1. These lenses turned out to be perfect for the low light and confined places. I thought I'd share a few uncropped DA40 images to show how well the lens performs, and ask others to post images taken with the same combination.

Take home message: Don't be afraid to throw the DA40 on a K1!

1/80, f/4.5, iso 2500

1/80, f/8, iso 3200

1/80, f/4.5, iso 2500

05-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I was out shooting the laneways and arcades of Melbourne on a grey rainy afternoon yesterday

Bleak City, someones gota live there, 1-1 in A league right now! xtra time.

Last edited by surfar; 05-07-2017 at 02:31 AM.
05-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Take home message: Don't be afraid to throw the DA40 on a K1!
Those look great, Paul. I'm quite surprised by how decent the borders are
05-07-2017, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work in the lanes. I don't get down there much since I stopped work in the city.

I have always liked the 40mm Limited. Now all I have to do do is find a K-1 to throw on mine.

05-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

K-1 arrived yesterday, thanks for the reminder about the DA40 !
05-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Bleak City, someones gota live there, 1-1 in A league right now! xtra time.
Sydney wins the penalty shoot out!
We try to visit Melbourne every year for an AFL game at the MCG.
Sydney stupidly built out most of its laneways. It's the little laneway bars, cafes and restaurants that make the Melbourne CBD far superior to Sydney's.
Lovely photos BTW.
05-07-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For me the DA70 passed the full frame no-black-circle test but failed the dark-corners-on-blank-wall test miserably. It might do for occasions where the background hides the vignetting or where the vignetting highlights the central portraiture subject. I haven't thrown the DA40 on yet, possibly because I have its M-series predecessor which I know is full-frame - I should give it (the DA) a go.

After all, there's a reason the SMC-M 40/2.8 was designed for the ME...

05-07-2017, 03:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Sydney wins the penalty shoot out!

Not as good as going down and beating them in 2010 when Muscnt missed his penalty....how sweet that was!

An armwrestle of a game but PREMIERS and CHAMPIONS will do me...they can have their laneways...we will just have the 2 most important trophys in OZ
05-07-2017, 03:58 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
For me the DA70 passed the full frame no-black-circle test but failed the dark-corners-on-blank-wall test miserably.
Really!? I find the DA70 pretty good on the K1. Perhaps I don't shoot enough blank walls.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-07-2017 at 04:13 AM.
05-07-2017, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sometimes problems with a DA lens (and even some FF film-era lenses) only show up with SR enabled, when using the composition adjust feature, or astrotracer. The image circle of the lens might be just at the edge of being FF but if SR has pushed the sensor over (up to ±1.5 mm in four directions), a corner or two will end up being a freak-show of distortion, chromatic aberration, or vignetting.

The minimum image circle with film or non-SR FF is about 43 mm but with SR, composition adjust, and astrotracer, it's about 47 mm.
05-07-2017, 05:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Sometimes problems with a DA lens (and even some FF film-era lenses) only show up with SR enabled, when using the composition adjust feature, or astrotracer. The image circle of the lens might be just at the edge of being FF but if SR has pushed the sensor over (up to ±1.5 mm in four directions), a corner or two will end up being a freak-show of distortion, chromatic aberration, or vignetting.
Interesting suggestion. That hadn't occurred to me. All of my images above were taken with SR on, but I think I was pretty steady in each case so maybe SR didn't move the sensor much. As I said earlier, I do have a few DA40 images with pretty muddy corners; maybe there I was less steady. I'll look out for that in future.
05-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos! I use both the DA 40 and 70 on the K-1. They work fine if you keep the compositions with things away from the edges. The darker corners are easily fixed in PP. JPEG lens corrections in camera don't work in FF so WYSIWYG. Not a bad solution overall. Plus you can switch to crop mode and get optimal image quality, 1.5 crop factor, and in camera lens correction at 15 MP! You get 40, 60, 70, and 105 mm equivalent focal lengths with two tiny primes.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 05-07-2017 at 07:13 AM.
05-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps I don't shoot enough blank walls.
I guess we need a new "Theme" thread.
05-07-2017, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps I don't shoot enough blank walls.
Some of my favourite (admittedly, older) lenses vignette considerably and/or have less-than-stellar border and corner performance

I think we've become rather spoiled by glass that is bright and sharp edge-to-edge. For some subjects, that sort of performance can be helpful, but for a huge amount of photography it just isn't a concern - and can even lead to a rather sterile look, IMHO.
05-07-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Nice photos! I use both the DA 40 and 70 on the K-1. They work fine if you keep the compositions with things away from the edges. The darker corners are easily fixed in PP. JPEG lens corrections in camera don't work in FF so WYSIWYG. Not a bad solution overall. Plus you can switch to crop mode and get optimal image quality, 1.5 crop factor, and in camera lens correction at 15 MP! You get 40, 60, 70, and 105 mm equivalent focal lengths with two tiny primes.
Does switching to crop actually change IQ? Is it not the same as cropping in pp? I don't have a K-1 yet so I do not know.

As for the DA40, I bought that at first release when I was shooting with an MZ-S. I carefully compared the DA against the original SMC-M pancake using slide film, and the DA gave the exact same coverage as the SMC-M. I still have those slides and see no vignetting in the corners.