Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Options for FF, WR, 16-24, screw-in filters

I'd just to make sure that I'm not missing anything.... If one wanted a K mount FF lens (prime or zoom) that exists between 16mm and 24mm, is weather resistant, and could use screw-in filters, the only option is the D-FA 24-70 correct? The Irix 15mm Blackstone and D-FA 15-30 come close, but neither match all of the criteria I'm looking for.

05-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also the Samyang 20mm and 24mm or second hand, the FA 20mm or 24mm.

The DA 12-24mm also gives perfect FF coverage from 20mm ish and up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather resistant seems to be the hang up in your list. Without that you have a number of other options. But for your list the DFA 24-70 is the only thing that comes to mind.

How badly do you need weather resistance? I know that is the current hot button, but we used non-weather resistant lenses for a very long time. And even with a WR lens and camera I'm not standing out in the rain to take pictures.
05-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ah right, that WR requirement really narrows things down!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2017, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wouldnt a 18mm wr be nice?
05-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
I'd just to make sure that I'm not missing anything.... If one wanted a K mount FF lens (prime or zoom) that exists between 16mm and 24mm, is weather resistant, and could use screw-in filters, the only option is the D-FA 24-70 correct? The Irix 15mm Blackstone and D-FA 15-30 come close, but neither match all of the criteria I'm looking for.
Just a thought...If you could find a Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 Zoom in Pentax K Mount (accepts rear gelatin filters)
that might be useful. WR is not an option but the pricing would be reasonable.
05-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Weather resistant seems to be the hang up in your list. Without that you have a number of other options. But for your list the DFA 24-70 is the only thing that comes to mind.

How badly do you need weather resistance? I know that is the current hot button, but we used non-weather resistant lenses for a very long time. And even with a WR lens and camera I'm not standing out in the rain to take pictures.
Thanks for the reply! WR capability is the driving criteria behind the question... I'm standing out in the rain and/or around waterfalls pretty frequently. I use Rainsleeves for my non-WR's and they work pretty well, but it's not as solid of a solution. That being said, somebody buy my lenses so I can get a 24-70... the Irix 15 is a bit too wide for me and we could be waiting a long time for the mysterious "ultra wide angle single focus lens" that is listed on the FF road map that still exists and was never taken down .

---------- Post added 05-09-17 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Wouldnt a 18mm wr be nice?
How about they throw a nod to the non-standard Hirakawa focal lengths and give us a 19mm. Here we go: HD Pentax-A* 19mm F4.0 WR ED AL. That's right. They were smart enough to not include internal flash in the K-1... let's continue that frame of mind and eliminate AF for the ultimate UWA landscape lens.

---------- Post added 05-09-17 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
Just a thought...If you could find a Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 Zoom in Pentax K Mount (accepts rear gelatin filters)
that might be useful. WR is not an option but the pricing would be reasonable.
That looks like a rare, but great option for others who aren't looking for WR or the use of a CPL. Thanks!

05-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

not only is WR an field narrower, the requirement for a a screw in filter (ND/CPL).

I have shot waterfalls and landscapes for "a long time."

Here's your options:

DFA 24-70

take away the weather sealing and you can add:

FA 20
FA 20-35
Various Sigma 24-70's
Sigma 24-60
FA* 24

I think that about covers it.

Pretty much everything else requires really expenses adapters for filter holder (DFA 15-30/Sigma 12-25/15-30) (Or horrible gel filters. I hate those things, they crinkle, bend and do just about anything they can to ruin the shot.)
Or aren't true FF lenses (why get a Pentax 12-24 to only use from 20mm up? Better off getting a Sigma 10-20 and that DOES take screw in filters!)

Final note, I've shot in misting waterfalls and light rain for years will no issues. I ALWAYS take 3 bath towels with me - 1 to clean the front of the lens, 1 to drape over the lens and body and the 3rd stays in the car to wipe things down after shooting. Take a light meter with you so you can set camera settings with lens cap ON. Take image, clean front of lens, replace lens cap, chimp, repeat.
05-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the easier thing to compromise is filters. There are many techniques to get the same effect as most filters in most situations by using multiple exposures and post processing. Cerrainly not 100%, but probably 85%. Add a slow 20 or 24mm prime for those times you really need a filter.
05-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two words; Super. Wide. Specifically the Sigma Super-Wide II AF.
05-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
not only is WR an field narrower, the requirement for a a screw in filter (ND/CPL).

Here's your options:

DFA 24-70

FA 20
FA 20-35
Various Sigma 24-70's
Sigma 24-60
FA* 24

Pretty much everything else requires really expenses adapters for filter holder (DFA 15-30/Sigma 12-25/15-30) (Or horrible gel filters. I hate those things, they crinkle, bend and do just about anything they can to ruin the shot.)
Or aren't true FF lenses (why get a Pentax 12-24 to only use from 20mm up? Better off getting a Sigma 10-20 and that DOES take screw in filters!)

Final note, I've shot in misting waterfalls and light rain for years will no issues. I ALWAYS take 3 bath towels with me - 1 to clean the front of the lens, 1 to drape over the lens and body and the 3rd stays in the car to wipe things down after shooting. Take a light meter with you so you can set camera settings with lens cap ON. Take image, clean front of lens, replace lens cap, chimp, repeat.

There's also the Sigma 20-40/2.8. I compared it to the 24-60 & it was much better.
05-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
There's also the Sigma 20-40/2.8. I compared it to the 24-60 & it was much better.
I'd love one... have been stalking ebay and the forums for one for months now.

---------- Post added 05-09-17 at 10:12 PM ----------

Here's your options:

DFA 24-70

FA 20
FA 20-35
Various Sigma 24-70's
Sigma 24-60
FA* 24

Don't forget the Tokina 20-35's. I've got version I of the f/3.5-4.5 and it's serving me very well. The only issue with it is that it does have a rotating front element, so using it with a polarizer isn't as easy. I've got the DA 12-24 too, but haven't used it much since getting the K-1. I definitely could have used more towels this last outing.... luckily I have a surplus of lens wipes that covered it well.
05-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
LOL. I don't know how I forgot about that one. I've got one sitting in my safe. I think I've only used it once since getting my K-1. 20mm on FF is usually too wide for my style.
I keep it around mainly on the chance I might do so astrophotography. Problem is I go narcoleptic at 11p.
05-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

How about a lens coat for the non-WR lenses already suggested?

Seb
05-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL. I don't know how I forgot about that one. I've got one sitting in my safe. I think I've only used it once since getting my K-1. 20mm on FF is usually too wide for my style.
I keep it around mainly on the chance I might do so astrophotography. Problem is I go narcoleptic at 11p.
20-40 on FF would be, what, like a 12-26 on crop? Seems extremely versatile to me as long as you are okay with carrying a lens with some weight and bulk to it. Something just wider than 43mm on full and then out to ultra-wide-ish on the wide end sounds awesome.