Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My entire kit...

The DA12-24 came today! The only downer is that the weather's nasty outside, so I doubt I'll be able to go outside to play with it until tomorrow.

To celebrate the occasion, I pulled out my handy, dandy Nikon 5400 p&s, slapped the Sunpak 383 flash onto it, and took a pic of all of it:

I think I'm done shopping for lenses...at least for now...

Heather

08-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did manage to get some inside pics, though.
All taken with Sunpak 383 flash at iso400, f/8, 1/180 sec.

14mm

18mm

24mm
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice family portrait! You're only done lens shopping until the LBA bug bites again!

I trust you will have fun with the new lens.

Thanks for sharing.
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your not really done yet heather, I see some serious limitations in your kit, and I think you need to add about 5 kilos to fix it. Cost should be approximately $100 per kilo by my reckoning

But seriously, I can see in the future, a need for a second body, I don;t see any flash, or a fast 70-200, and TC's to get you to 400mm.

once you have finished shooting everything you want with your present kit, LBA and CBA will bite again

08-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Kei

I don't have anything wider than 18mm yet; by looking at the 14mm shot I start drooling over a wide angel lens.
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats Heather on finally getting your super-wide! Your kit is really shaping up. Isn't it a shame that we couldn't have just bought these lenses one at a time at first? Instead of buying, trying, and selling a bunch of other lenses? Ugh!

I think that I am just about done too. I am thinking about getting the DA14/2.8 lens, since I sold the Sigma 10-20. But, I don't do as much at the wide end as I thought that I would. I love the 16-45. It seems to cover just about all I need at the wide end.

My newest baby is the DA*300. And I love it! I decided to sell the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) after packing it all around in Alaska in my back pack. The weight, along with a bunch of other lenses became a "pain in the back pack"!

p.s. What is the circular white and blue thing on the floor?
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Your not really done yet heather, I see some serious limitations in your kit, and I think you need to add about 5 kilos to fix it. Cost should be approximately $100 per kilo by my reckoning

But seriously, I can see in the future, a need for a second body, I don;t see any flash, or a fast 70-200, and TC's to get you to 400mm.

once you have finished shooting everything you want with your present kit, LBA and CBA will bite again
I do have a flash but one of the reasons I didn't include it in the pic with the lenses is because I was using it on my Nikon p&s, which so happens to have a flash shoe. The flash is a Sunpak 383. I eventually want to upgrade it to a more automatic flash--at this point, I'm thinking that a Metz 48 will do the job.

A second body is most definitely under consideration. I'm waiting until after Photokina to decide in which direction I want to go. If the new body is the "baby" entry-level one and I like the price and features, then I'll get one when they come out. If I don't go that route, I've got a couple more options:
1. Get a K20 and keep the K10 as a backup
2. Keep the K10 and either:
a. Buy a K100 or K100 super for cheap
b. If the budget allows me to spend a little more, then buy a new K200. I've noticed that the prices on the K200 bodies are really starting to fall. Buydig has them for $539.95, shipped.
Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Body (lens not included) | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

A faster tele is also under consideration, as well. I'm not sure which one I would get if I was going to buy today, though. I like the length of the 70-200s, but they're awfully heavy; Sigma has the TCs, but at least in the preliminary tests, their 70-200's IQ is not quite as good as the Tamron version, but I would have to do a lot of hunting around for a Tamron TC. I also like the DA*50-135 a lot, but Pentax hasn't come out with a TC that works with SDM yet. Sigma's supposed to be coming out with the 50-150/2.8 for Pentax and it does have TCs for it.

I may have a possible solution to the heavy lens problem (besides a tripod or monopod): Agonic - Stedi-Stock Home Page

Week after next, I'll be adding some overtime hours to my work schedule to the tune of 10 hours per week for 3 weeks. While a lot of that money is going to go towards a photography workshop I want to go to next Spring, I wouldn't mind knocking out one of these items (most likely the flash or second body) with some of this extra money.

Ideas and opinions are most definitely welcome.

Heather
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
p.s. What is the circular white and blue thing on the floor?
That is known as a Cat Spa. The middle part has catnip in it that's supposed to attract cats to the Cat Spa, where they can rub and massage their faces to their hearts' content. I don't think my cats use it, at least in front of me, at least.

As for my fast tele plans, I've even thought about getting the 50-135 and 200 or 300 combination. If I went that route, then I would get the 50-135 first and keep the 55-300 until Pentax comes out with a SDM-compatible TC and then sell the 55-300 and buy the 200 or 300 and the TC.

We'll see...

Heather

08-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As for my fast tele plans, I've even thought about getting the 50-135 and 200 or 300 combination. If I went that route, then I would get the 50-135 first and keep the 55-300 until Pentax comes out with a SDM-compatible TC and then sell the 55-300 and buy the 200 or 300 and the TC.
I just ordered a teleconverter to use with my DA*300. I will let you know how it works and post some sample images.

By the way, the SDM focus on the DA*300 is almost inaudible!! When I first got it, I couldn't hear it focus and thought that it was broken! Then I realized that the focus was working fine!
08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I do have a flash but one of the reasons I didn't include it in the pic with the lenses is because I was using it on my Nikon p&s, which so happens to have a flash shoe. The flash is a Sunpak 383. I eventually want to upgrade it to a more automatic flash--at this point, I'm thinking that a Metz 48 will do the job.
I use an FA540FGZ
QuoteQuote:

A second body is most definitely under consideration. I'm waiting until after Photokina to decide in which direction I want to go. If the new body is the "baby" entry-level one and I like the price and features, then I'll get one when they come out. If I don't go that route, I've got a couple more options:
1. Get a K20 and keep the K10 as a backup
2. Keep the K10 and either:
a. Buy a K100 or K100 super for cheap
b. If the budget allows me to spend a little more, then buy a new K200. I've noticed that the prices on the K200 bodies are really starting to fall. Buydig has them for $539.95, shipped.
I guess it depends on what you want it to do. I kept my *istD simply because it has TTL flash and can work very well with K mounts (I have 8 of them)
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Body (lens not included) | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

A faster tele is also under consideration, as well. I'm not sure which one I would get if I was going to buy today, though. I like the length of the 70-200s, but they're awfully heavy; Sigma has the TCs, but at least in the preliminary tests, their 70-200's IQ is not quite as good as the Tamron version, but I would have to do a lot of hunting around for a Tamron TC.
why not get the APO 70-200 F2.8 EX non macro version, I have one and find it excellent. I am not a hung up as much about HSM and it can work on older bodies, then at least you get to match it with a sigma TC which works very well and as I said, be prepared to give $1000 per kilo
QuoteQuote:
I also like the DA*50-135 a lot, but Pentax hasn't come out with a TC that works with SDM yet. Sigma's supposed to be coming out with the 50-150/2.8 for Pentax and it does have TCs for it.

I may have a possible solution to the heavy lens problem (besides a tripod or monopod): Agonic - Stedi-Stock Home Page
my brother in law is just sitting on the fence waiting for higer quality at ISO 1600 and above, so he does not need the faster lens, we'll see
QuoteQuote:
Week after next, I'll be adding some overtime hours to my work schedule to the tune of 10 hours per week for 3 weeks. While a lot of that money is going to go towards a photography workshop I want to go to next Spring, I wouldn't mind knocking out one of these items (most likely the flash or second body) with some of this extra money.

Ideas and opinions are most definitely welcome.

Heather
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally got outside and got some pics...

I like this lens.
Heather
08-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

congrats on this phase of the kit. You should enjoy the 12-24. There's a massive difference between 12 and 18mm as can be seen above. Earlier you said you were done, yeah sure...
08-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I like the colors, contrast & sharpness of that lens a LOT! I've noted here and in other demonstrations of this lens that it has some edge softness at 12mm. I don't know why that bugs me so much...

What is wrong with me?

By the way, mighty fine lookin' fast 50 you got there!
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #14

wow! nice wide lens. shots are good too! congrats heather!