Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #1

Renewing Lens Lettering

Has anyone ever replaced there aperture and distance scale numbers on a lens where the lettering has started to come off ? I am thinking that soome sort of transfers perpahs sprayed over with laquer afterwards may work?

I have a lens that seems to have has a very thin rubberised coating on it which basically comes of on a cloth when cleaned and I have taken it off in most places but the areas where the lettering is takes the letting with it.

05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
Has anyone ever replaced there aperture and distance scale numbers on a lens where the lettering has started to come off ? I am thinking that soome sort of transfers perpahs sprayed over with laquer afterwards may work?

I have a lens that seems to have has a very thin rubberised coating on it which basically comes of on a cloth when cleaned and I have taken it off in most places but the areas where the lettering is takes the letting with it.
Are there physical markings as well, or they just surface printed?
05-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the lens is engraved (an old M lens, for instance) then simply use Sugru. For modern, printed lenses, I've never done it.
05-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Unfortunately surface printed on top of the old coating. Transfers might actually cost more than the lens is worth but I am thinking of laquering over what is there so they dont get worn away more, they are still readable. I have never seen such a cheap looking lens, a bit like a toy although looking throuhg it it seems like it might actually work OK. It probably looked quite good rubberised !

05-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
Unfortunately surface printed on top of the old coating. Transfers might actually cost more than the lens is worth but I am thinking of laquering over what is there so they dont get worn away more, they are still readable. I have never seen such a cheap looking lens, a bit like a toy although looking throuhg it it seems like it might actually work OK. It probably looked quite good rubberised !
What lens is it, out of curiosity?
05-11-2017, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Kiron (Kino Precision) often used screen printed (silk screen) or embossed lettering on some of their lenses. It is very common to see this for sale with much of the lettering worn off. I wouldn't say any Kino Precision lens was cheaply made. Some of the non-Kino made Kiron badged lenses towards the end of Kiron as a brand name perhaps.

You might want to try a screen printing process however I don't know what the smallest size line or dot you can get.

EZScreen DIY SCREEN PRINTING - Custom Silk Screen Emulsion Stencils ? EZScreenPrint
05-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, there seems to be options although I am now consideing just lacquering over to preserve whats there as it's a real cheap lens; COSINA 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.8 MC MACRO.