Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I need a DA40mm Limited?

Hello all,

I already own a good copy of the xs 40mm that I got with my K-01.

Other than build quality and quick shift, is the limited superior in any way? Aren't they optically similiar?

I found a good deal on one but would it be a waste of money?

Thoughts?

05-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Other than build quality and quick shift, is the limited superior in any way? Aren't they optically similiar?
I own both, IMO, they produce the same great picture.

Here's the Limited lens club, they'll have opinions:
05-12-2017, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
I already own a good copy of the xs 40mm that I got with my K-01.
I have 40mm XS and never splurged for the Limited.
Limited makes sense if:
a) You need lens hood. Do you have flare problems with the XS?
b) You want Quickshift
c) You want to use a sensible filter size (27mm of the XS is a bit weird, but you can still find some filters for it online)
d) You want distance scales (can be useful for some things like zone focusing)
e) The HD DA 40mm limited has better lens coatings than the SMC and XS versions. As far as we know, the other optics are the same
f) Maybe you want one of the special silver versions to fit a special color camera?

For me, the XS does its job. Since it came with the K-01, it was a really amazing price. I would only upgrade to Limited if I already had all other focal lengths covered. Do you have the DA 70mm? Or maybe a Samyang 20mm? Sigma 30mm? Lot of interesting lenses out there to fill your lineup before you start with duplicates
05-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the 43. I sold my 40ltd to robgski as soon as I decided I liked the 43 better. If you don't like it better, sell it. If you do, sell the xs

05-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have compared them directly and see no real optical difference between the xs 40 (my son's) and my DA 40 limited. I prefer the ergonomics and features of the DA 40. If you do a lot of landscape photography where you use hyperfocal distance settings, you might prefer the DA 40 which at least has a rudimentary scale. I also prefer the hood arrangement on the DA 40. Other than these "cosmetic" differences, I would stick with the XS 40. If there are optical differences, they are minor.
05-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the xs 40 is not making you happy and you want an upgrade, move to the 43, or better yet the FA 31 Limited. Otherwise just keep shooting and enjoy your lens. IMHO you won't see any real difference between the two 40s.
05-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the older SMC DA 40mm and it's a very nice lens, though not quite as good (especially in sharpness) as the DA 35 limited. Unless you really need the small form factor I'd recommend the 35 over the 40. You could always try a 35 and decide then what to do with the 40 - keep, sell or upgrade the the limited version.

Be careful though - limited lenses are addictive: I have collected the whole SMC DA range. When I lust after new lenses I often remind myself that I already have some of the best ever made.
05-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you didn't already have the XS, I'd definitely suggest getting the DA40 Limited, assuming that focal length on APS-C works for you. Personally, I don't get on with it that well... I prefer a little wider (35mm) or longer (50mm+) depending on the situation, but I probably ought to spend a week shooting just the DA40; I'm sure I'd adapt after a short while.

Since you have the XS, I see no real benefit to getting the Limited. It's a lovely object, but I don't believe the difference in coatings and hood / filter attachment capability are enough to justify the purchase... unless, of course, you were to sell the XS

05-13-2017, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you didn't already have the XS, I'd definitely suggest getting the DA40 Limited, assuming that focal length on APS-C works for you. Personally, I don't get on with it that well... I prefer a little wider (35mm) or longer (50mm+) depending on the situation, but I probably ought to spend a week shooting just the DA40; I'm sure I'd adapt after a short while.

Since you have the XS, I see no real benefit to getting the Limited. It's a lovely object, but I don't believe the difference in coatings and hood / filter attachment capability are enough to justify the purchase... unless, of course, you were to sell the XS
The 40mm adapts well to a number of subjects...passing friend's boats, for example:

05-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Since both lenses offer the same image quality, this is really a personal decision based on build quality and maybe some other small differences. Maybe you don't need it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. Decide what you want.
05-13-2017, 03:07 AM   #11

To answer your question: no!

Last edited by ddharriman; 05-13-2017 at 02:05 PM.
05-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #12

I personally would go for the 40 limited, but the HD version. The coating is much better than the smc version and than the xs, this make a difference in certain situations.

In my case I'm still trying to decide between the 40 ltd and the 43.

05-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

On full frame I would prefer the 40mm Ltd over the xs, because corner sharpness is really a lot worse on the xs. On aps-c it doesn't really matter.
05-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not. DA limited has a few additional features mentioned, but they are pretty close.
05-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
On full frame I would prefer the 40mm Ltd over the xs, because corner sharpness is really a lot worse on the xs. On aps-c it doesn't really matter.
I don't remember seeing soft/distorted corners in FF shots from the 40XS.