Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX vs. Art advice needed

So i just made my friend upgrade his DSLR from a K200 to a K-S2 which I found for him used for a very good price. He would also like to spend some money on a fast normal prime. So my suggestion was to go for a Sigma 30mm 1.4 since I'm very happy with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art on my K-1.

Now my question is which one you would recommend. I found an offer for the older EX version in very good condition for 200.- €. The new Art version sells for 439.- € right now. Is the Art version optically that much better that it's worth spending more money on it? And is the screwdrive af more reliable than the HSM? I've read some bad reviews about the autofocus on the Art version. Or has that problem been fixed via firmware since those reviews were written?

Thanks for your input.

05-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Art 30 is a very different beast from the Art 35. In some ways, the 30 should have been badged as a Contemporary, because it doesn't conform to the ultra-corrected, sharp-from-corner-to-corner, standard that the later Art lenses are known for.

There's been no change to the firmware - the AF problem is still there. I use center-point focus most of the time, so I never notice the issue, but if you go to autoselect, it will hunt and possibly give up. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with the HSM motor - it's definitely quieter than the EX screwdrive. These were my observations regarding the Art 30 versus the EX 30 in my review of the Art 30:

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The older Sigma lens has a strongly curved focal plane, giving it (in)famously soft corners, which can be artistically useful. The Art 30 is a different optical design, with much more usable corners. I think this makes the Art 30 a better general-purpose lens.

The Art 30 is larger in all dimensions and heavier, and while both lenses have 62mm filter rings, the hoods are not interchangeable. Despite the ‘HSM’ in the name, the Pentax-mount EX 30 was screw-drive, rather loud, and the focus ring would twist under your fingers when auto-focusing. While the manual-focus ring on the EX 30 has been criticized as “gritty”, mine was always smooth, if a little plastic-y, and easy to turn with just thumb and forefinger. The ring on my Art 30 is much stiffer.

In my head-to-head comparisons, the Art 30 seemed to expose just a little darker than the EX 30, but colors were very similar. The Art 30’s bokeh seems to have a little more blur for each f/stop. The minimum focus distance on the Art 30 is a little shorter. The EX 30 can give nice stars at f/5.6 or higher; the Art 30 is very flare resistant and doesn’t seem to want to star at all.
My Sigma Art 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM "Art" review - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by THoog; 05-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.
05-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

I am not fan of color rendering pf Sigma lenses on pentax body. I would go for used fa 31mm
05-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I owned both. Both are sharp in the center and have good bokeh.

I think the Art version and the older EX DG version are quite different. earlier version is more focused on the sharpness in the center, and sigma didn't care the broader and corners at all. I guess for good reason: they made this for indoor low light, and expected user shooting it with large aperture, if not wide open. so the corners are not important.

for art version, they tried to make the corners better. the effort ended up with a larger lens. but although much improved, the corners are still not good unless stop down by a lot. center is always great.

expect AF issue from Art, and you might need an USB docking to correct it. But after spending some time, you will get good and accurate AF. But i still feel it is on the slow side. slower than the old version. But that could just my feeling. silent moment might gave me a wrong feeling.

05-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My question was always regarding AF accuracy issues and trying to figure out which version would be the most likely to focus "right" the most often. It always seemed like all versions of this lens has issues with this from what I've read, and some samples work better than others, but it's hard to really know based on forum posts and such.
05-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use 30A at K30 and KS2 , AF select point, mostly centre. I have some miss-focuses but DA 70 has also. Sigma needs to be AF at contrast edge.
05-16-2017, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Art version sells for 439.- €
Can't you get used DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 50mm f1.8 for the same price as a new Sigma 30mm? I even see a reasonably priced FA 50mm f1.4 in the forum marketplace, and the marketplace here is probably even safer than ebays. You can almost get a used FA 43mm limited for that price!
If you go with DA 35mm and DA 50mm, you get full compatibility, automation, Pentax colours, very sharp normal/wide angle, and a nice nifty fifty. Plus, both of them can be used on FF, down the road. Its not f1.4, but what good is f1.4 when you have AF problems, and weird triangular bokeh (old version)?

Now, true, 30mm sounds like a nice FoV, and f1.4 is attractive. But when my 35mm is not wide enough, I go for 21mm and wider anyway. And I use it almost always at f8, so if it was faster than f2.4, I wouldn't gain much

Oh and congrats on the K-S2. Looks like a really cool, capable camera!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.
05-16-2017, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #8

I've only used the 30 1.4 ex. I did need to spend a little time with a focus chart to get it dialed in but as soon as I did that I've had some excellent shots in this lens. 1.4 is a very small plane of focus and I think that many people find it challenging but for my primary use for it - indoors, low light, I find it dependable and with some excellent results.

I'd save the extra $200 and get the EX personally.

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
So i just made my friend upgrade his DSLR from a K200 to a K-S2 which I found for him used for a very good price. He would also like to spend some money on a fast normal prime. So my suggestion was to go for a Sigma 30mm 1.4 since I'm very happy with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art on my K-1.

Now my question is which one you would recommend. I found an offer for the older EX version in very good condition for 200.- €. The new Art version sells for 439.- € right now. Is the Art version optically that much better that it's worth spending more money on it? And is the screwdrive af more reliable than the HSM? I've read some bad reviews about the autofocus on the Art version. Or has that problem been fixed via firmware since those reviews were written?

Thanks for your input.
05-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma EX 30/1.4. It is not a general purpose lens. Landscape work is not very good, also terrible at brick walls (lol). For single subjects, like people, especially indoors, it's really incredible.
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma 30 1.4 Art and the Pentax DA 35 2.4 and Iove them both. If I had to keep just one of them it would be the35 because it is an all purpose lens, looking good on any use and great on some. F/2.4 is good enough for any of my low light uses and the Pentax is sooo light. But I am glad I can keep both that way I can be creative with the larger apertures and super creamy bokeh of the Sigma.
05-16-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Why not consider the FA 35 f/2? It's razor sharp wide open, compact and has stunning colour rendering. It is the poor man's FA 31. The FA 31 would be dynamite too....

Check out the reviews on the Sigma 30 f/1.4. AF isn't it's best characteristic. The dodgy AF has kept me from considering it.