Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2017, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Immortal Quote
Thank you guys - SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR - is exactly what i was looking for.

It's sharp enough for my needs and on top of that it got AF (althou opinions about it are well mixed but still better this than MF!).

I see i can get SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR version new for around 500$ which is perfectly acceptable for me, so im going place an order now and wait for my shipment.
Great choice. It's one of the best value-for-money lenses in the Pentax line-up, IMHO.

The few complaints about AF performance can be largely mitigated by turning the focus ring to MFD or infinity *before* focusing, depending on whether you're shooting nearby or distant subjects respectively. That will avoid the somewhat-leisurely racking back and forth throughout the focus range.

You're going to love this lens, I'm sure of it

05-17-2017, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Immortal Quote
Thank you guys - SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR - is exactly what i was looking for. ... SNIPPED FOR BREVITY ...
Yes, it's a very good lens and can do macro, which I don't think the Samyang 135mm can. Images are sharp, good colors, good contrast.

My only quibble about the DFA 100 is that it's prone to purple fringing at high contrast transitions. In practice, that fringing only shows up when aimed upwards: backlit tree branches against a bright sky, and night sky stars with the astrotracer. LR or other processing software can lessen the fringing.
05-17-2017, 04:38 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What an intelligent and helpful set of replies.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, this is the main argument for the DFA 100mm over Samyang 135mm. Samyang 135mm is a great lens. But its mostly for portraits and flower photos. The DFA 100mm allows closeups, macro, still life, abstract,/texture photos, product photography, it has Qucikshift, it is WR, it is compact to store and carry around, it has full automation and works well with Pentax cameras. I take a lot of landscape photos with it. I think its price is very fair, because it is basically a pro tier lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Yes, it's a very good lens and can do macro, which I don't think the Samyang 135mm can
The Samyang weighs 820g and has a minimum focus distance of 800mm. A world away from the DFA 100 Macro.

You won't regret getting the DFA. It's truly a "Wow" lens.

Last edited by Des; 05-17-2017 at 05:13 PM.