Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 01:06 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

New video review: Pentax 31mm f1.8 limited Vs Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art lens on K1

I've finally made my choice for best lens brothers, and it was a difficult one indeed. The loser was packed up and sent away, but not without a tear of regret in my eye. 'We'll always have Paris.'

I compared the illustrious old Pentax 31mm f1.8 limited lens to the lauded new Sigma 35mm f1.4 on the K1. I made a video review showing how I made my decision, and included sample videos and photos for you too.

Check it out here...

05-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grabbing popcorn....
05-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i'll join you, getting a cold beer as well
05-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the record, I won't be replacing my FA31 anytime soon.

05-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I own the Sigma 35mm Art. It's a very good lens, but it doesn't often find its way into my K1 kit because of the size and weight. If I had the FA 31mm, it would go everywhere with me. The deciding factor when I bought the Sigma was price.

Having looked at very many images from both lenses, I have a hard time agreeing with the OP that the Sigma is better optically.
05-20-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I own the Sigma 35mm Art. It's a very good lens, but it doesn't often find its way into my K1 kit because of the size and weight. If I had the FA 31mm, it would go everywhere with me. The deciding factor when I bought the Sigma was price.

Having looked at very many images from both lenses, I have a hard time agreeing with the OP that the Sigma is better optically.
Thanks, that's why I included full DNG files in the description of the YouTube video :-)
05-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DNG at 100% doesn't predict how a big print on the wall will engage the viewer.

05-20-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
DNG at 100% doesn't predict how a big print on the wall will engage the viewer.
Maybe I should include wall sized prints for everyone next time. But you're welcome to make prints of the photos for personal use.
05-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

In a laboratory test prioritizing resolution I would expect the Sigma to perform better, particularly wide open, and more even from corner to corner. In real-world shooting, however, I would prefer the Limited any day: microcontrast, 3-D and colour rendering, flare resistance.

It is easy to get infatuated with the shallower DOF the Sigma can offer, but hypercorrected as the optics are, I doubt its bokeh will be all that much superior aesthetically. Add to this the form factor and the build quality, and a strong case could still be made for the 31 Limited. What kinda killed the 31 for me on APS-C, however, is that the 35 Limited Macro is such a gorgeously-rendering lens in its own right, and at a much lower price, that I happily settled with its slower aperture.

This doesn't take away that the OP has made an enjoyable, informative video, of course.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 05-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
05-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair enough.
I disagree.
The 31 is amazing, The sigma is huge by comparison, less wide, but faster.
There is no less subtlety in a large but silent lens than a small but slightly noisy one.
Your findings are valid. Thanks for the comparison.
05-20-2017, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

It's always risky to say something negative about an FA Limited lens around here...

Thanks for making the video! I was hoping to hear more of your thoughts on details of the image quality between the two, or at least the FA31. I've had a couple Sigma lenses and no longer trust them since they always seem to have something wonky with them (the weirdest being the 17-70C and its shake reduction mishaps...) so I won't consider the Art; what you said about focus being a problem really seals me away from it.

I'm on my 3rd copy of the FA31 for the K-1 and it's likely this one is going back forever. First one I had for years on my crop body and beat the heck out of it; it needed repairs and afterwards, I had trouble relying on it so I sold it (full disclosure on issues to the buyer!) for a song and bought a fresh copy. That one, I felt, had focus issues so I sent it back for a new one. This one...doesn't look or act any better than the first two so I'm thinking there was nothing wrong with my first one--that's just how it is on the K-1.

I find the FA31's image quality on the K-1 to be very middle of the road. There's a lot of really weak points in the images it makes on a full frame camera that are not there for crop bodies; its reputation was cemented on APS-C bodies and I think people are not re-examining the lens on the new sensor and kinda remembering the good old times. It's certainly not worth the $1000 price it commands. If it were $500 or 600, I think I could accept it, but it's far too much money for a lens whose best selling point is that its small. I feel like you have some deeper thoughts on the image quality but didn't want to discuss in the video because the only real positive talking point you made for the lens is its friendly size...
05-20-2017, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I couldn't watch the whole video. I really appreciate you are doing reviews of Pentax stuff. But please try to add some inflection to your narration, maybe toss in some soft background music, try a facial expression or two. I'm not saying this as a hater. People stay on the channel for personality and character. Now that I type this.. this is the same reason why they choose the FA limited lenses. Not because of technical perfection, but character. Spice. Pixie dust. So I guess I understand your personal choice.
Good luck, English Photographer!
05-20-2017, 10:04 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I have them both. The Sigma on my K-1 and the Pentax on my arm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The review seemed to me a bunch of him mucking about with the lens physically, then presto, he liked the Sigma better? There were only a couple of scenes with actual results? I noticed that the 31 seemed to flare much less in the sun video. I guess if I was trying to make up my own mind, the video didn't give me much useful information. I fast forwarded through most of the middle, though, so maybe I missed something.
05-20-2017, 08:54 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

What is a Pentax FA31Ltd?

It is a smallish lens that gives 31mm FOV (not 35mm) and its associated ease/difficulty in designing one.
On my travels, I'm out at 4am-5am and back in the hotel room at 10pm, often on foot for long stretches, over a whole week.

That lower encumbrance certainly helps. (esp when there will be another 3 lenses in the bag)

The 31mm FOV is unique certainly, an "in between" of a classical 28mm and a 35mm.
It allows this reportage style of coverage of the human condition.

and yet, at a switch, that wideness is pretty good for landscape as well

At more open apertures, there is a good consistency to the bokeh (in most cases) and often, the good separation between subject and bkgnd.

Sharp, sharp and more sharp is the emphasis nowadays.
Often, I don't even bother with sharp edges when shooting at larger apertures (the subjects are often not even placed there)
If its stopped down, most lenses are good at f8, f11.