That is a very nice portrait.
Thank you.
09-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The two non-Pentax lenses I own "could" be considered exotic. They are the

Lensbaby Burnside 35mm F2.8
Vivitar 150-600mm F5.6-F8

The latter is particularly rare, I believe. It's an impressive lens to be sure!
09-05-2018, 06:38 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My only 'exotic' lens is the Zenitar 85mm f1.4 in K-mount.

09-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I was a pro (long ago, nothing artsy, mostly still life of products for ads/catalogs) and over time I have turned into a collector (well, kind of), so I guess I'm in a different position than most forum users... but I know for sure that I'm not the only one. Far from that!
I don't know the exact number, I guess I have more than 300 non-Pentax lenses readily usable on any PK camera: PK, PKA, PKAF, M42, T2, adapted, macro heads, microscope, etc.
I have no idea which ones could be called "exotic", cause it depends on the point of view. Whatever the definition, I guess quite a few could be called that way!

@alexhk
If chinese lenses qualify as exotic, well.. your Mitakon 1.2/85mm is exotic.
For sure it's a hell of a lens!

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-09-2018 at 10:21 PM.
09-09-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

After my previous post, I gave a good though about the sense of this thread, and realised how much I'd like to read stories about strange/rare/very valuable lenses posted by forum members.
I also found myself wondering what I could have said to another enthusiast if I had a real life conversation about the matter. You know, something like: which ones I found after a long search, which ones are very uncommon, which ones are still at the top of my wish list... that kind of photographer's chit-chat.
I encourage any forum user who believes to be in possession of some "exotic" glass to post a reply and tell us about it.
I have a few ideas myself, but I refrain from posting what is crossing my mind because I don't like to brag. I's not a special merit to have money and time to dedicate to an hobby.
However I believe there is nothing wrong with being proud of the time dedicated to collecting info, or spent reading about the history of photographic lenses. I am admired when I find people who don't hoard lenses just to amass them, but know the reason behind any new acquisition. I realise that they don't buy new items because they are expensive or "fashionable", but because of some personal interest. When I find such collectors, I just listen in awe, and let them talk and talk... glad to absorb some of their knowledge
So I am torn between the pleasure of sharing my love for vintage optics and the little knowledge I've learned from other enthusiasts, and the deep, personal feeling that makes me uneasy, a sort of embarrassment.
Maybe mflenses forum would be a more appropriate place, even if my small format stuff is all for Pentax.

Cheers
Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-09-2018 at 10:22 PM.
09-09-2018, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
The most exotic one is the smallest 135mm of all, the M42 Fujita f4.5.
Nice tiny lens!
I simply can't refrain from posting a comment about your petite 135mm. I love it!
I have a special love for Japanese third party lens makers operating after WWII. Especially the small ones that did not survive after the boom of photographic market of the sixties/seventies, but used to produce lovely small format lenses (mainly LTM, M42 and Exakta mounts).
Fujita lenses are among my favorites, along with Kyoei (Acall), Sankor, and the more celebrated Sankyo Kohki (Komura).
Here is a beautiful Fujita 35mm wide angle, sold in the USA as Taylor, to capitalize on the fame of Taylor, Taylor & Hobson (Cooke) brand.
I believe this lens was the first third party retrofocus lens made in Japan.
It was like new, with box and "Series" filter adapter.
Unfortunately it was more a collector item than a worthy photographic tool (on digital), and came in Exakta bayonet. I concentrate on lenses usable - and possibly useful - on my Pentax DSLR's, so I gifted it to my friend /repairman who never wants money... so I have to find creative ways to thank him

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.
09-10-2018, 03:12 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Well, this is exotic on a Pentax camera, anyway:
How good is the glass in those Fotodiox adapters? Do they detract at all from the lens quality or sharpness?
09-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
How good is the glass in those Fotodiox adapters? Do they detract at all from the lens quality or sharpness?
It's not great. The Canon 50/1.8 was really glowy with the adapter.
09-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
It's not great.
I was thinking if these adapters are good, wow all those lenses to try, too good to be true
09-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Nice tiny lens!
I simply can't refrain from posting a comment about your petite 135mm. I love it!
Thanks!
Itīs so small that It always comes with me in the pocket of the bag,