Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The aperture ring and DoF scale are definitely Chinon. As D1N0 said, it looks like the 45, given its length. What a bizarre find.

05-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Methinks you are all being a bit cynical. LAPAN is renowned for its quality lenses.
Lapan . . . the pronunciation of Japan after 1 liter of Sake.
05-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
My favorite part of it is how they hacked up a Pentax case and just glued the bottom of it
I just looked at it, yep that case looks totally legit.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
There's also the whole paragraph explaining the virtues SMC when literally none of the component parts that make up the lens have SMC.
I read that too, though it ignores that Fuji EBC coatings are said to be superior to Pentax SMC coatings.
05-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm wondering where this counterfeit item was "made" ... ? Any reasonable guess, anyone?

05-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The posting is gone now.
05-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #21

It was there when I looked earlier but now it says the posting was deleted by the author.

Any way the end-cap on the case had a bit of leather or plastic on it that was embossed "Asahi Optical Co. Japan" or so. That may have been sliced off an old hard case because it was a much smaller diameter of the tube case being offered with the lens.
05-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #22

I live in Phoenix and saw the CL listing. I had no clue that was a counterfeit. It was a lot of money so I would not have looked at it. Had no idea I needed to be on the lookout for counterfeit lenses. Counterfeit Cuban cigars, Rolex's etc.....now lenses....wow

Last edited by rx2man; 05-22-2017 at 06:02 PM.
05-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #23
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Lapan . . . the pronunciation of Japan after 1 liter of Sake.
You sound like you know your Sake, Blue !! Cheers buddy.
05-23-2017, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
You sound like you know your Sake, Blue !! Cheers buddy.
Sometimes you drink Sake. Sometimes Sake drinks you.
05-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best mount for Zeiss lens for Pentax K-1

I am interested in acquiring a Karl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f 2.8 lens to be used on K-1 (and other K-mount cameras). I find the lens available in numerous mounts: Exakta, Leica L, T* Contax, Pentacon 6, and Arri PL plus a few others.
My question is which is the best mount to get with this lens to use it on my K-mount cameras. An M42 screw mount would be fine for me, but in the ebay lens listings I do not see M42 mounts, although I believe some of the mounts
I have mentioned may be M42 equivalents. I will greatly appreciate some knowledgeable advise on which mount to buy.
05-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am interested in acquiring a Karl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f 2.8 lens to be used on K-1 (and other K-mount cameras). I find the lens available in numerous mounts: Exakta, Leica L, T* Contax, Pentacon 6, and Arri PL plus a few others.
My question is which is the best mount to get with this lens to use it on my K-mount cameras. An M42 screw mount would be fine for me, but in the ebay lens listings I do not see M42 mounts, although I believe some of the mounts
I have mentioned may be M42 equivalents. I will greatly appreciate some knowledgeable advise on which mount to buy.
I would find one with the C/Y MM mount (not the AE mount version of the C/Y mount). Then use the C/Y to K mount kit from Leitax.comFor some reason I don't see the 180 on the Leitax list of lenses that they have converted.The Pebble Place database has it (page 2) and it does come in a MM version of the C/Y mount. I would email David at Leitax and ask him about the lens conversion.

05-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I would find one with the C/Y MM mount (not the AE mount version of the C/Y mount). Then use the C/Y to K mount kit from Leitax.comFor some reason I don't see the 180 on the Leitax list of lenses that they have converted.The Pebble Place database has it (page 2) and it does come in a MM version of the C/Y mount. I would email David at Leitax and ask him about the lens conversion.

Thank you very much for this advice. I will follow up accordingly.
05-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Easier with Pentacon 6. There is an adapter: Kiev 60 Pentacon 6 lens to Pentax K Mount PK Adapter K7 | eBay
05-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Easier with Pentacon 6. There is an adapter: Kiev 60 Pentacon 6 lens to Pentax K Mount PK Adapter K7 | eBay
Thank you for this advice.
06-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
Pentaxian

If you still haven't bought your Sonnar, keep in mind that there are different versions of "180mm Sonnar". Of course there is the West Germany version in C/Y mount, and the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar (also made for export to western countries as "aus Jena S"), but the latter has been made in different models over a long period of time.
After the pre-war "Olympia Sonnar", if I'm not mistaken there were 3 post-war versions, one "zebra", one with a faux leather ring, and one black with MC anti reflection treatment.
Some swear the C/Y one is the best, and some others say that the best they tried was an early post-war version.
Personally I owned a brand new black/MC one in Pentacon Six mount, and now I have the earlier zebra type. I also have the later 200mm (black, MC) available only in M42 screw mount.
Never tried the Contax version, though from what I've been told I wouldn't be so sure it's the best 180mm Sonnar you can buy. Let's say that I'd expect less sample variations, much better quality control.
People I trust say that the black CZJ version should be the best... if you find the right sample
Other trustworthy photographers say that the oldest the better, and the less sample variation.
Can't say much, given my limited experience. Just reporting opinions I value.

Two personal thoughts:
- the CZJ single coated should be great if you like B&W conversions (better use the lens with its hood!)
- the 200mm is very sharp but has strong fringing, maybe the strongest I've seen

All in all, the use of a robust, well made P6>PK adapter is cheaper and more practical than leitaxing an "MM" lens for Contax (which is no cheap itself!).
The adapters I use, coming from East Europe, are well made and allow to use other interesting P6 objectives like the two Biometars. One little ring that fits inside the adapter, and voila... you can also use all the lenses in Kiev 80/Zodiak/Hasselblad 1000 mount!

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.