Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #496

So many vivitars!. Looking for a vivitar 28mm myself - two lenses judging by serial numbers a MC version by Bauer (42) & other looks like Komine (28). Which is arguably better?

12-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Most would shoot for the Komine, once a distinguished Japanese lens maker. However, the Bauer is likely a newer design and so might have an A setting?
01-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update to the Bestiary for the new year, including the photos donated above.
01-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #499
Veteran Member

I've got an M13 sitting in front of me that fits all of your noted markings exactly.

-MFD isn't marked exactly, but it's less than 1foot. Judging from the distance from the 1ft mark to the 1.5ft mark, I'd hazard .85 or .9ft as a MFD, which seems to be backed up by my decidedly unscientific "testing" in the field.

-6 aperture blades.

-Front element/filter ring do not turn with focus adjustments.

01-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #500
kkx
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
disassembly of vivitar 28mm 2.8 fd version

Hi,

First time posting here. Hello everyone.

This is a good thread for this lens.

Reading this thread is the key reason for me to hunt for one to try it out.

I have the FD version and I am in the process of trying to convert it to EOS mount.

It is not easy.

I have so far manage to remove the FD mount at the end. Unsrew the front place and remove the whole lens assembly.

What I left with is just the case with the focusing mechanism and the base (with aperture ring attached).

My plan is to remove the base from the case and file it down by 1.5mm.

I had been trying to remove the base for days. There is no screw to remove and nothing can be unscrewed.

The rubber ring came of but there is no hidden screw under it.

The three tiny screw that hold the aperture scale is removed, but this only allow the ring to turn, but I still can remove this ring or the aperture ring.

It seems like the key is to remove the aperture ring, I can see the base of three screw the must be under the aperture ring from inside, and this must be holding the whole base.

Anyone who had done this, please help?

Or if anyone have any hints or suggestion, it will be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

kkx
01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a typical Takumar lens, the focus ring is held on by three screws inside the ring. They are the three screws not marked by the red arrows in this photo:

Again on a Takumar lens, the focus ring would come off, then you could remove the ring above the aperture ring, then slide the aperture ring off. On a Pentax lens, the mount comes off and the aperture ring can be removed from the rear. Pentax and Takumar lenses do often have screws under the aperture ring for further disassembly.

With all the manufacturers used by Vivitar, just about any construction method is possible. You would think they would make swapping mounts easy, since the lenses were made for many different camera systems. But I have not found this to be true.
02-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #502
Veteran Member

How do you know if one of these lenses has an A setting? Any of the f2 or f1.9 have A? I'm trying to find an A f2 or faster lens 24mm or wider by any maker. Only found a zuiko and these that can work, period, on a pentax in some way

Last edited by troglodyte; 02-09-2011 at 05:07 AM.
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a shot of my 24mm version of the A01 from the Bestiary. So, yes a 24mm f/2 does exist! And you can tell it's an "A" lens from the prominent symbol on the aperture dial.

I use this lens regularly. By coincidence I was just going to post some shots, so I will xpost to this thread as well. IIRC this was at f/4. Not much PP except for slight curve correction and sharpening after downsizing. It's a nice lens and the cheapest I ever bought.

Schweppes in kitchen sun

02-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Everyone wants a fast lens with the beautiful image of the FA31 but not everyone can afford that lens. Is there some lost glass from the past that can replace the FA31, at lower cost?

The first option is the FA35 f/2.0, and there are several threads around the net comparing the lenses.

But I thought I'd try to find something even cheaper and started my search with Vivitar, since I've been more than happy with their older products. There was a time that they branded some very nice glass. But it's confusing for sure deciphering their many different products.

So, I went out to eBay and purchased four different 28mm manual focus lenses. I chose this focal length as it becomes the perfect normal on APS-C sensors. This field of view is perfect for street scenes, candids, group portraiture, landscapes and more.

Here are the lenses:

1. Vivitar Series 1 Auto Wide Angle 28mm f/1.9 [Tokina made, M42 mount]
2. Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 28mm f/2.8 [Tokina made, TX mount]
3. Vivitar Close Focus Wide Angle 28mm f/2.0 [manufacturer unknown, K-mount]
3. Vivitar Wide Angle MC 28mm f/2.8 [Komine made, K-mount]

My aim is to test all four of these side by side. So far I'm in receipt of the last one but expect all within a week.

Being in Europe these four lenses cost me a total of €230... shipping can be brutal. (I did get two useless pieces of glass in the bundle.) Here's where you come in. Anyone want to donate to the cause? My blog has a PayPal button for this purpose. You can be sure that I'm not trying to make any money here... just defray costs.

I would also like to baseline the Vivitars against a typical Pentax brand lens, aside from the FA31 (which I do not own). Perhaps the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2 or SMC Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8. But as I'm over budget I'm unable to obtain more lenses... for now.

This thread will grow as lenses arrive. Number 2 is here already and has been displayed in the thread Anyone Use TX Mount Lenses?.

Soon we will find the FA31 killer... or will we?
I would go for SMC Pentax 28/3.5s or 35/3.5s in either screwmoint or K mount. They are superb lenses and easy to find. The 35/2.0 is also a fine lens.
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #505
Veteran Member

I bought a Komine (A03 type shown at Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary: Details) 28/2.8 auto aperture for about £20 and was immediately struck at the nice colouring and it's seems sharp enough. I might get more use out of it when my split image focus screen turns up.
Here's one shot that was taken in fill flash conditions - f16 1/3 sec iso 400 handheld with flash contributing about half the light at a guess. The ability to differentiate all the red hues just had a special extra something that made me mark it out as a decent lens.

02-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #506
Veteran Member

rp,
So the big green A is the only way to know? Whenever I see a k or ka mount vivitar on ebay only the front with the lens information has a picture. Very rarely does a seller show a picture of the f-stop scale showing the A.
02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
Whenever I see a k or ka mount vivitar on ebay only the front with the lens information has a picture. Very rarely does a seller show a picture of the f-stop scale showing the A.
The KA mount has two extra contacts on the lens, as Dimitrov's page illustrates. But good luck seeing that on the typical bad eBay picture!

Better to ask the seller if there is an "A" on the dial.
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I bought a Komine (A03 type shown at Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary: Details)
£20 is a good deal for a good lens. And that cat is cute too! (Looks like a younger version of our Schweppes). Try it at f/5.6 or f/8 instead of f/16 and the clarity will be better, I'm guessing.
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #509
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I acquired an A01 recently (28mm f/2 with A setting) and am really enjoying it. Here's a sample, I didn't do a great job of focusing, and there's a bit of camera shake, but note the great color rendering and bokeh instead:

I wrote a full review, you can see it here: Vivitar 28mm f2 MC (M series) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
02-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #510
Veteran Member

acrollet,
how much did you pay so I have an idea of what's acceptable?
You have any other A lenses? How does it compare? I have the pentax-a 50mm f1.7. Great lens. Love the A compared to my m42.