Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
ok, the J-9 arrived yesterday. check out my basic review on my blog if you can be bothered as I got some weird results with the first 4 shots. after that, the photos came out fine.

Seems like a fun lens and may take a little getting used to compared to the very user friendly Takumar lenses.
Add your review to the 3rd Party Lens Database when you get a chance. The more the merrier...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2008 at 09:31 AM.
10-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #77
Site Supporter

check out my basic review on my blog...
I read your blog.

Regarding your initial reactions...Aside from the weird fluorescent light results, your first impressions mirror my own. The manual was printed on cheap, thin newsprint and the plastic case looked like it had been kicked around the soccer field. The focus was very stiff, as was the aperture preset ring. Both will loosen up with use. In addition, there will probably be some oil on the iris blades. This is normal, needed, and is no cause for alarm. In regards to date of manufacture, this should be noted in the manual. There is a page for the inspection stamp/signature that includes the date. I also believe that the first two digits of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture (will check my copy when I get home later today).

Steve
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, just out of curiosity, when was your J-9 manufactured? Mine says Oct 1989...I thought it was new?
10-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #79
Site Supporter

Thanks Steve, just out of curiosity, when was your J-9 manufactured? Mine says Oct 1989...I thought it was new?
Mine was made in Nov 2007, purchased through rugift this last Spring.

It would be interesting to know the history of the J-9s that you see for sale on eBay. It is almost as if there is a vast warehouse somewhere in Kazakhstan full of surplus military lenses. Your lens may well be new-old-stock from some such place.

Post some pictures when you get the hang of using the lens.

Steve

BTW...you WILL need a hood for shooting out-of-doors.

10-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
1989 but looks brand new, so who knows where it came from. I'll post some pics soon, might take a few photos today. I'll have to use a takumar lens hood then.
10-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few test shots.

02-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #82

Go for it

I've shot with the Jupiter 9 and 37A. They're both very sharp, in fact so sharp that portraits usually get diffusion in Photoshop. In some ways I prefer them to my Takumar counterparts.

Pros: They have amazing bokeh. Aperatures have a lot of blades for very smooth results at any f-stop

Cons: I notice they can flare easier than Pentax lenses.

They're worth more than what they cost

Jupiter 9 with 1.4 kenko teleconverter, with Photoshop diffusion

Jupiter 37A on macro Bellows

Jupiter 9

Jupiter 9 with 1.4 kenko teleconverter

Jupiter 37A on macro bellows
02-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nyaskovic Quote
I've shot with the Jupiter 9 and 37A. They're both very sharp, in fact so sharp that portraits usually get diffusion in Photoshop. In some ways I prefer them to my Takumar counterparts.

Pros: They have amazing bokeh. Aperatures have a lot of blades for very smooth results at any f-stop

Cons: I notice they can flare easier than Pentax lenses.

They're worth more than what they cost
Amazing shots there. Is there anything specific I should look for when choosing a teleconverter?? Since the J-9 is M42, do i need to find a teleconverter that converts M42 -> K-mount? I have two genuine M42 to K-mount adapters.

My current setup is a k10d + J-9 with Asashi Pentax Adapter. Thanks! I will post some pics soon.

02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #84
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used manual lenses for years. How do you use Jupiter on DSLR? I suppose in manual mode by seting the aperture on the lens and adjusting the shutter speed via camera's metering system?
Thanks,
02-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #85
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TTQ225 Quote
I haven't used manual lenses for years. How do you use Jupiter on DSLR? I suppose in manual mode by seting the aperture on the lens and adjusting the shutter speed via camera's metering system?
Thanks,
Av mode. Since the lens is already stopped down, the camera will assign the shutter speed based on the light hitting the meter.

One caution:
On the K10D and K20D, the meter is optimized for lenses with "A" contacts on the mount. As a result there is the potential for significant underexposure at apertures wider than f/4. At f/5.6 and narrower metering is pretty much accurate and linear, though there is still may be a bias the opposite way to overexposure.

Steve
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #86
Pentaxian

I love that cat's eye picture -- the Jupiter 37A has a reputation for sharpness, and BOY is that crisp!

But how did you get a camera, bellows, and lens that close to a cat, and then have time to focus? Valium?
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried using a takumar 135mm hood on the J-9? I know it's 7.5 mm off when you convert effecti FOV, but I'd want maximum shade if it didn't have any vignetting. Heavystar's reportedly works fine on 50mm, and I'd want a bit more. However, I don't really know the length of either of these, if anyone knows. Also, the size lens cap that fits on the heavystar would be useful to know.

Also, the flange distance is different on Zenit-mount M39 jupiter-9's, right? Even with a m39-m42 adapter, I wouldn't get infinity focus?
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #88
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Has anyone tried using a takumar 135mm hood on the J-9? I know it's 7.5 mm off when you convert effecti FOV, but I'd want maximum shade if it didn't have any vignetting. Heavystar's reportedly works fine on 50mm, and I'd want a bit more...
I use the Heavystar tele hood with my J-9. The hood is 60mm diameter and 35mm deep. It will accept a 58mm lens cap. I have not had any problem with vignette on APS-C.

Steve