Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #16

Original Poster
OK so it looks like I have two idential (apart from the name) non SMC lenses. I have to say though the name Cosmicar didnt initially fill me with confidence. But either way I agree taht lenses are not made as they used to be, even the A lenses are not up to the M ones, and neither are a patch on the old M42 Super Takumars build.

05-29-2017, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Cosmicar is still used for C-mount lenses by Ricoh/Pentax. We use them a lot with C-mount industrial cameras. Budget line compared to Schneider C-mount lenses.
So the brand name is still around and quite well known in C-mount land. Interesting to see that there were also some K-mount Cosmicars.
Pentax / Cosmicar are used interchnageably for C-mount lenses. These days its mainly Cosmicar. So I don't think there is any difference in design and probabyl never was.
02-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #18

Cosmicar is the version of Asahi for early TV lenses. They also used "Kinotel". And many others.

The Cosmicar name was dropped some time ago, decades IMHO. Pentax then was used and now, Ricoh.

Same Pentax quality, not an economy brand, but they may have used Taiwan to assemble pieces made in Japan. It is commonly used to avoid tariffs and other taxes.