Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Just lost my best lens - where to get replacement?

Hi Pentaxians,

... I'm posting this thread in a "state of sadness" as today I happened to drop what I consider my best lens on asphalt - and now the focus ring is locked and the lens basically useless

It's not an expensive lens (Asahi Opt. Co., Japan; SMC Takumar 1:1.8 / 55, S.No.: 7936380) - and it is old, and with manual focus ... but getting it a couple of years ago I have become very fond of its sharpness, the color rendering and not least a slight degree of magic that I don't find to the same extent with my other lenses.

So I'm looking for a replacement (could also be the 8 element 50 mm f 1.4 manual focus) and hope one of you here may have a suggestion as to where I may buy such a lens at a fair price - and preferably in Europe so that customs & shipping are fair as well. I have a K5 camera and it should mount on this (K mount is a vague memory ...)

Thanks for any suggestions & help!

Jesper

05-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try placing a WTB (Want To Buy) here:

Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jesper,

SMC Takumar 55 mm F/1.8 or F/2.0 (same lens) crop up regularly on DBA.dk: MAnge forskellige mærker. f.eks., Minolta, Olympus
The same goes for the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 mm F1.4. The latter is considered the better lens by many, but I don't know. I find them equally good.

I have a spare SMC Takumar 55mm F/1.8 you could have quite cheaply, say around 300 DKK. I live in Nordsjælland - I don't know where in Denmark you are at.

Kind regards,
Lars
05-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that lens and it is pretty good. Over here they come up quite often on auction sites usually mounted on Spotmatics. Sometimes they go foe very little money. Mine came with a Spotmatic and two Vivitar lenses for about the price you may pay for the 55 alone. Keep your eyes open and you should find one soon. There may be some copy variations on any lens that old, but it is so well made there is probably not a lot. That smooth and long focus ring is pretty nice to use.

05-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed KEH.com has a 55 mm f/2 (SMC K lens) for about $50.00. As I recall it is the same lens as the f/.1.8 except max aperture is f/2. This is an advantage if you want to shoot slightly stopped down (to reduce aberrations) as it will have a circular opening vs the f/1.8 at f/2. The 55 mm f/1.8 and f/2 come up regularly.
05-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,

First thanks for your prompt and helpful replies ... it's warming :-) ... as I was actually quite put off by what happened yesterday with my lens.

As it is I'm currently travelling in Europe and will continue to do so for probably another month or so - which besides emphasizing the ... of what happened - also makes it tricky for a possible new/replacement lens to get to me. Taking shipping time into consideration the most likely place to pick up another lens would be Budapest but reading about poste restante in Budapest on the internet I get the impression that it's not an entirely fool proof arrangement, so ....

@LaHo: Hi Lars ... Thanks for your offer - I think I would like to buy your lens, however, another forum member has sent me a PM about a lens available from somewhere in Europe - and if luck is with me it could be that it's close to where I will travel. So I'll prefer to first clarify with him which lens it is and also where I could pick it up, if feasible. Can I reserve your lens in the meantime? In Denmark I live in the north-western part (around Limfjorden) so I will have to ask you to send it, if possible, when I get back - or some kind of reliable poste restante/similar arrangement can be put in place while travelling (will pay in advance). Is that ok with you?

Thanks again to you all ;-)

Jesper
05-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That lens is incredibly common. I would guess a second-hand photography store in most major cities would have one for sale.

I do love my 55 as well.

05-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jesper,

The 55 mm Takumar lens I have is a surplus one (I think I have three), so there is no rush. Send me a PM when you know ...

Lars
05-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If sharpness wide-open is what you are seeking, the the STak 8-element is likely not the lens for you. It is relatively sharp stopped down (about f/5.6), but it's claim to fame (IMHO) is bokeh and color rendition. The STak 8-element is nice and dreamy wide-open as opposed to the sharpness of the K55/1.8. Different lens characteristics, s o one is not a replacement for the other -- again, IMHO...
05-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi again ... and thanks for your further comments & suggestions. To Lars: Thanks for making it "open" - I'll get back to you when I know what may be feasible to do ...

@Kozlok: Hmmm... sounds interesting - If lucky I might stumble upon one then while travelling ...

@ripper2860:
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
It is relatively sharp stopped down (about f/5.6), but it's claim to fame (IMHO) is bokeh and color rendition. The STak 8-element is nice and dreamy wide-open as opposed to the sharpness of the K55/1.8
I think I will stay with the K55/1.8 for now and then when back in Denmark (and not on a wireless connection) I may check pictures of both to shape my own impressions ...

Have a good day ;-)

Jesper