Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To Cap or not to Cap

Yesterday I went to an event I wanted to photograph. I bought along a couple of Limited lenses the 35mm Macro and the 31mm plus the 100mm macro and a 50mm f1.7. When I arrived at the event I had to make a decision. Should I keep the Cap for my 35mm f2.8 which was mounted on the camera(K-5IIs) on the lens, or should I leave it in the car or in my camera bag ? I decided to keep the Cap on the lens for some reason. While I was stepping out of the car, I was trying to juggle a Monopod, my car keys, my camera bag with three other lenses and my camera with the 35mm mounted on it. Suddenly the camera slipped out of my hand and hit the ground(about 3 feet) Ouch ! .

I said to myself Oh no ! I quickly picked up the camera from the hard cement and under close inspection noticed no damage was done. Except for a couple of scratches and a small ding on the Cap for my 35mm limited. The camera turned on, and the auto focus worked, wow what a break. I pulled off the Cap and put it in my pocked. I figured with a little touch-up paint everything would be fine. I took some great pictures at this event, but when I was heading home I searched all of my pockets and the cap was nowhere to be found ? Did I drop it ? I then searched my car just in case but no cap.

Oh well, I have to write than one off to experience and be glad that things didn't turn out a lot worse.

05-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

So, always use a cap!
05-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
a mistery cap saved your lens and disappeared in the fog...all photographers feel safer now
jokes aside, I am glad that you lost it after it saved your lens and not before!
05-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #4

Recently my k30 with Samyang 14mm fell with the tripod that it was mounted on. There was no cap on the lens. The hood saved the lens from breaking, so i would say keep the hood on too.

01-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My take: Caps are good when not using a lens hood. With a lens hood usually not as the hood can take the bow.