Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
? re: filters for UWA lens

Folks,
I just moved from K3-II to K-1, I use filters ( rectangular: ND, ND grads) in the past I may continue - but I need to move to 100mm filters with the FF camera/lenses.

Can you give me a bit of a read on approximately how wide a lens I can use with a 100mm filter setup and NOT experience vignetting? (likely going Lee w/wind angle adapter)

Thanks /Bill

ps- one UWA lens I have in mind is the IRIX 15mm product.

05-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the filter front, I can't help...but you might like to browse the thread below and the one linked within before deciding on the Irix. In the end I went for the Samyang 16mm partly as a result of the issues described.

Irix 15mm for astro/night? - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, interesting info in that thread....I have time on purchasing a UWA. The filter stuff is if more immediate concern- don't want to invest in setup that can't go reasonably wide in future.
Bill
05-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Lee 100mm system will go to 16mm on FF without vignetting. And you need to use the Lee (or the Filter Dude's works really well to) wide angle adapter ring for the filter holder. Any wider than 16mm, you should go with the Lee SW150 system.

05-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks David....that is the info I need; now I will move forward to purchase the 100mm setup.
Bill
05-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a very interesting kickstarter campaign from Breakthrough Photography that is already fully funded -- they say their holder and ring will work down to 16mm -- it's here if you want to check it out: Dark CPL & X4 GND by Breakthrough Photography ? Kickstarter

They seem quite reasonably priced, esp. for the holder and adapter rings -- far better than what I payed for my Lee system used quite a few years ago.
05-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

JPGs from K-1

IRIX 15/2,4 Fireflay + Bombo holder with Bombo 95mm ring + RayMaster ND8soft 100x150

05-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
There is a very interesting kickstarter campaign from Breakthrough Photography that is already fully funded -- they say their holder and ring will work down to 16mm -- it's here if you want to check it out: Dark CPL & X4 GND by Breakthrough Photography ? Kickstarter

They seem quite reasonably priced, esp. for the holder and adapter rings -- far better than what I payed for my Lee system used quite a few years ago.
Thanks, I'm familiar with the company but not these new/upcomig product offerings. However, for me I'll stick with (more durable) resin ND grads instead of glass....I am guessing even 'tempered' glass as Breakthrough will offer would not fare well when dropped on a hard surface.

Bill
05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
On the filter front, I can't help...but you might like to browse the thread below and the one linked within before deciding on the Irix. In the end I went for the Samyang 16mm partly as a result of the issues described.

Irix 15mm for astro/night? - PentaxForums.com
IRIX QC issues: For what it's worth....I contacted IRIX via email and asked them about past problems reported by Pentax users who purchased their 15mm lens, here's the response:

Hi Bill,
Our repair service received few lenses with such issues, but it happened at the beginning of manufacturing process. Current lenses are free of any problems thanks to double QC.

Best regards
Irix Team