Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 40mm XS is, as far as we know, optically the same as the SMC DA 40mm ltd, but in a different body. It is smaller, has 27mm filter thread, but has no lens hood, no distance scales, no quickshift. But it is more affordable. Mount is still metal. And the aperture blades on the XS might be the same style as the HD version, which might be more rounded than the SMC version for different bokeh (rounder bokeh) and diffraction spikes (rounded blades appear to reduce the star spikes).

On the other hand, if you really liked the 40mm limited so much, maybe its time to 'upgrade' to the HD DA 40mm limited. HD coatings, rounded aperture blades might give you something you want.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-limited.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-29-2017 at 06:32 AM.
05-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I've been out of the loop on the XS stuff.
The DA 40 XS was the first prime I bought after purchasing the K-5. It's my "go-to" lens. It seldom leaves my camera, and it's so compact that it is always in my camera bag as a back up for whatever situation I find myself in.

I'm not the only Pentaxian who prizes this lens above others, here is a thread of it loyal users
05-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The DA 40 XS was the first prime I bought after purchasing the K-5. It's my "go-to" lens. It seldom leaves my camera, and it's so compact that it is always in my camera bag as a back up for whatever situation I find myself in.

I'm not the only Pentaxian who prizes this lens above others, here is a thread of it loyal users
Yes even the size of the "normal" DA40 was so small I always kept it with me. I don't know that I've ever left it at home more than a handful of times, only in the event that I wanted to "force" myself to use one lens for a walkabout.
The only thing I'm not impressed with on the XS is no lens hood. When doing studio portraits with flash - it does get a good bit of flare if the flash is off-camera but hits the lens. That's the only downside I see of it. I'll keep an eye out..

Update on quote:
Precision: $172
the legendary Eric: no price quoted. He said he could most likely fix, if he can get the parts from Ricoh, but apparently they are intolerably slow getting him parts. He said it might be August before it was returned.

I just saw a used one in EX+ condition for... $170..
So I'll look around for a few weeks and see if I can find a used DA40 or HD DA40.

One thing I really love about the limited set I have - the 15, the 40, the 70... all take the 49mm filters - that's a pretty capable group of lenses right there in a very compact package.
05-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I don't think Pentax uses very good loctite on their screws. Seems to be a common problem with Pentax lenses disassembling. The screws that hold the focus ring to the lens group seems to be the common culprit. Here's what happened to my DA21, my guess is it's the same problem with your 40:

Need HELP DA21 Self-Disassembled! - PentaxForums.com
It happens to my DA15 too. I opened it, apply a bit of nail polish to the screw and tighten it back.

05-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I don't think Pentax uses very good loctite on their screws. Seems to be a common problem with Pentax lenses disassembling. The screws that hold the focus ring to the lens group seems to be the common culprit. Here's what happened to my DA21, my guess is it's the same problem with your 40:

Need HELP DA21 Self-Disassembled! - PentaxForums.com
Kozlok:
So you had to remove two things of the front of the lens and that got you to the screws that held the focus ring to the lens group?

Hmmm... I'm gonna start taking it apart, since I won't be able to get it repaired in short order anyway... I might as well give it a go...