Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alas, my poor 40mm Limited... I knew it well.

Well, it's time to say bye to my most used lens, by far, my DA 40mm Limited.

I bought it back in early 2007.
It has been my most trusted companion ever since. And it's so small, I almost never leave home without it. If I needed a guaranteed tack-sharp shot, this was the lens.

Well yesterday I was shooting a wedding and it was acting finicky trying to focus. I switch the body to manual focus and reached for the focus ring.. The focus ring racked back and forth approximately a half centimeter in either direction, no more than that. It was stuck at somewhat less than infinity.

I knew something was wrong, I replaced it with my DA 70 for the moment, until I had a chance to look at it today.

I was able to wiggle the focus ring a little bit and get it unstuck... but upon rotating the ring from close focus to infinity, the front end of the lens sometimes moves about a millimeter. Sometimes it moved the proper distance.
Sometimes there is almost no visible movement at all. Either way.. something in the focus mechanism has gone horribly wrong.

This thing has been a workhorse for me.
With the exception of my Tamron 70-200mm, which I bought a few years back almost exclusively to shoot hockey at the local ice rink, this is by far my most used lens.

Now the question is, send it in for service or just get a brand new one? I'm going to see what estimate would be.
*sigh* Just wanted to share my story. I probably have 50k photos with this little gem.

05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Eric can fix the lens for you. Don't think it's too costly, either. Same thing happened to my FA 43mm, after only limited use over the course of several years.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You should try and get it fixed. I'd be curious to know how much an estimate would be.
05-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think Eric can fix the lens for you. Don't think it's too costly, either. Same thing happened to my FA 43mm, after only limited use over the course of several years.
I literally just came across Eric's information on another thread. I'm going to contact him and check it out.
Precision camera's quote came out at $172, just under half what the HD DA 40 is going for new.

Thanks for the heads up.
-Dan "I can't believe I still have that old forum tag with K200D, K110D in my signature" Morgan.

05-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In the meantime for repair, maybe pickup a DA 40 XS then you'd also have a backup
I got mine for about 70 USD used.
05-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
In the meantime for repair, maybe pickup a DA 40 XS then you'd also have a backup
I got mine for about 70 USD used.
I've been out of the loop on the XS stuff... what's the story on that?
(as if the 40mm wasn't small enough already, how did they make that thing even smaller?)

I've sent Eric an email just to confirm he can work on that before I ship it away.
05-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I've been out of the loop on the XS stuff... what's the story on that?
(as if the 40mm wasn't small enough already, how did they make that thing even smaller?)
The XS series (which is comprised of one lens...) is designed to match the K-01, but it is standard K-mount and works perfectly on any Pentax.
Same optical design but different exterior, it focuses very fast because of it's size; only 9.2mm thick as opposed to the huge 15mm of the limited.
Pretty much my most used lens on my K-50.

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

05-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The XS series (which is comprised of one lens...) is designed to match the K-01, but it is standard K-mount and works perfectly on any Pentax.
Same optical design but different exterior, it focuses very fast because of it's size; only 9.2mm thick as opposed to the huge 15mm of the limited.

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Nice..! Hmmm maybe I'll look for one, but I don't know that I have any weddings until July. (I have 5 or 6 this year but I do not wish to be a full time wedding guy, this is just helping me pay off some bills)
So if it's a decent price to get it repaired I may just do that.. and perhaps keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one. Definitely don't want to be without this lens when it's crunch time.
05-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax uses very good loctite on their screws. Seems to be a common problem with Pentax lenses disassembling. The screws that hold the focus ring to the lens group seems to be the common culprit. Here's what happened to my DA21, my guess is it's the same problem with your 40:

Need HELP DA21 Self-Disassembled! - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I just had my DA 16-85 repaired (free of charge) because an internal screw came loose. The repair guy said he thought that maybe no loctite had been used during assembly. Clearly a quality control issue.

Still, it's the only such issue I've had with Pentax lenses.

By the way, I agree that the DA40 is a gem.
05-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Funnily enough, I just updated a thread I started some time ago about similar problems with my DA 40mm. I got it fixed for €45, a lot less than a new one would have cost me. I originally bought it for €200 used, so even factoring in the repair price it wasn't a bad deal.

I'd suggest looking for somewhere to repair it, it may be cheaper than you think.
05-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A forum member (DCShooter) is most adept at servicing this type of issue at a very fair price. I'd reach out to him via PM and ask before making a decision. He fixed a similar issue on my DA35 Limited Macro and it came back good as new!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-29-2017 at 08:56 AM.
05-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #13

I personally wouldn't go with the XS since it can have no hood.
05-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
I personally wouldn't go with the XS since it can have no hood.
I've got a hood on my XS- 27-49mm step up ring and then the 49mm flange from an old rubber lens hood- remove the rubber itself (in this case the hood had split as they tend to do!)
05-29-2017, 02:54 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently picked up a like new 40 xs from a forum member ( THANKS ) and am very impressed with it.

I have no experience with the larger 40 but I did note that the review listed dies over some possible options if a hood is wanted

I have found no need for one myself