Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Laowa 12mm infinity focus

I am at a loss here guys. Anyone who has this lens let me know your thoughts.

I purchased the new Laowa 12mm for my Pentax K1 and was unable to reach infinity focus on my copy. I couldn't get anything in the distance to be in perfect focus. I have both the Samyang 14mm and Pentax 15-30mm to compare it to which are both able to achieve focus at infinity. I am able to finally star to get distant objects in focus at f8 or higher. If it actually squeeze the lens against the camera mount sharpness does increase which means the distance between the sensor and the rear of the lens is somehow too great. I sent it back for a second copy which had the exact same issue. Unsure why this was I decided to actually send my camera back as it had 1 week left under warranty. At this point it seemed more likely that the camera may be at fault. Having a sensor capable of moving I was wondering if it was just somehow out of alignment. Both the samyang and Pentax can focus well past infinity while the Laowa cannot which might explain why those two lenses do not have issues. Well, I have now received back the camera and this issue still persists.

So, I can only conclude that I either received two bad copies in a row with the same issue or the folks at Precision Camera Repair, who Pentax uses for their warrant repairs, we incapable of diagnosing the problem I sent my camera in for. I have absolutely no way of knowing if Laowa of Pentax is at fault but it is frustrating because at f8 and smaller apertures where the lens is able to focus on distant objects it is a stellar lens and I want so badly to keep it. However $900+ for a lens that cannot achieve sharp pictures at any aperture more open than f8 is just not worth it as I planned on also using it for astrophotography.

Has anyone else had this camera and lens combo? Is it more likely that I received two bad copies or that my camera itself is somehow at fault? This is the only lens I own that cannot focus well past infinity so even though my other lenses are working that still does not mean I cannot rule out an issue with the camera despite the fact that they found no issue with it during repairs. Maybe it just was not meant to be.

05-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see how the camera could be at fault if your other lenses work. And not focusing to infinity is not really a camera issue in my experience.

The Pentax movable sensor is a well tried technology having been around for quite some time. I don't think I remember a single instance of it being at fault for focusing issues. Certainly not when some lenses work and some do not.

Seems more likely that Laowa is having issues. Are you sure they sent you a new lens or just the same one again? Did you record the serial number?

Also, is infinity focus adjustable on that lens? I don't have it but many manual focus lenses allow an adjustment, just something to check on.
05-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If the other two lenses are fine, I think you can safely rule out the camera body as the issue, so it's likely the 12mm lens. Unfortunately I haven't yet used this lens myself, but it sounds like you've either gotten pretty unlucky, or the lens has problems in the K mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't see how the camera could be at fault if your other lenses work. And not focusing to infinity is not really a camera issue in my experience.

The Pentax movable sensor is a well tried technology having been around for quite some time. I don't think I remember a single instance of it being at fault for focusing issues. Certainly not when some lenses work and some do not.

Seems more likely that Laowa is having issues. Are you sure they sent you a new lens or just the same one again? Did you record the serial number?

Also, is infinity focus adjustable on that lens? I don't have it but many manual focus lenses allow an adjustment, just something to check on.

I have been shooting Pentax for years now without issue so I certainly want to think it must be the Laowa. They did send a new copy though because I purchased it again (through BH) before they received my first copy back.

I was really hoping infinity focus would be adjustable, as I have adjusted it on my Samyang 14mm back when I first got it as it was off quite a bit. I am afraid to start messing with the lens and have not yet seen any tutorials online on how to adjust infinity. If it is adjustable that would certainly be a solution.

05-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick search does not show any other infinity focusing issues being reported or that infinity focus is adjustable. Wish I could help more but I have exhausted my experience.

This lens is on my list to purchase at some point so I am interested in a resolution. Maybe a phone call to B&H would be in order. Explain you have had two copies, had your camera checked and still have issues. Ask if they have any suggestions or have had other issues with this lens.

Please post back if you find a solution.
05-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Short story: I think they have problems with the mounting piece of the lens. I didn't test infinity focus, because my first copy had wiggle in the mount (see below). I reported my problem to Laowa but didn't get any info back.

Long story:
I have had an unpleasant experience so far with my attempts to acquire a functioning copy of this lens. First I ordered direct from Laowa. They waited a week before telling me they didn't have any lenses in stock with not lead time estimate available. I am sure they would have never told me had I not been pestering them with emails. Then they took another week to get me the refund and again only because I was emailing them daily. Then I ordered the lens from Adorama and they took forever to ship the lens. It took a full week to receive the lens.

Once I finally had the lens I didn't even bother critically testing infinity focus because the mount connection was not solid with my copy. What I mean by this is once I attached the lens, there was some movement/wiggle in the mount. The lens itself was solid/intact and did not have any looseness, so I think the mounting piece is warped or something. I tried it both with my K1 and K3 and it was exactly the same. When attached to the camera, I could wiggle the lens back and forth slightly while attached. I could see this wiggle affect the LV image on screen.

I used the lens for a week anyway then sent it back (which cost me $35 to ship insured back to Adorama). I waited a week to see if they would get more stock, but they didn't so I cancelled the order. Now I've been waiting over a week since I cancelled the order and Adorama has still not refunded the money. They are very misleading in their interactions about the refund too, trying to make it seem like my bank is holding the transaction, but it's definitely not the case as I've called my bank twice about it... Assuming Adorama will eventually issue my refund, I will then try to purchase from B&H, if they still have inventory. At this point, I would not even attempt another copy, except that I already (and regrettably) purchased the proprietary filter adapter for this lens from Laowa... I hope my second copy has no issues, but at this point I will be pleasantly surprised if that is the case. It is a very nice design so it's a bummer they are apparently having quality control issues.
05-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

With B&H, if there is an issue with the lens then they issue a return and you don't pay for shipping.
Adorama makes you pay shipping for a defective lens?
I had an order with them but I was notified that it was out of stock. If it costs $35 every time to return a defective lens then I will try it from B&H instead.

05-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c57d Quote
With B&H, if there is an issue with the lens then they issue a return and you don't pay for shipping.
I had an order with them but I was notified that it was out of stock. If it costs $35 every time to return a defective lens then I will try it from B&H instead.

I've ordered two Irix 15mm f/2/4 lenses and neither could achieve infinity focus on K-1. First one from Adorama second one from B&H. Neither company charged me to ship back to their warehouse for refund.

The lens is defective so you state that when requesting RMA. You get a free UPS 'sticker' to print out..
05-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c57d Quote
Yes Adorama made me pay to return it and requires *understandably it to be insured. Ironically, I went with Adorama because they offered free shipping while B&H wanted (and apparently still wants) $10 to ship this lens. Adorama made up their shipping expense up on this one...

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've ordered two Irix 15mm f/2/4 lenses and neither could achieve infinity focus on K-1. First one from Adorama second one from B&H. Neither company charged me to ship back to their warehouse for refund.

The lens is defective so you state that when requesting RMA. You get a free UPS 'sticker' to print out..
Interesting because I contacted Adorama twice about this and they did not give me this option.

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Interesting because I contacted Adorama twice about this and they did not give me this option.
Update: I just emailed Adorama about this and apparently it was my mistake. They told me to initially to contact Laowa to get confirmation that it was defective. I didn't hear back from Laowa so I guess I was supposed to press this issue with Adorama after that, when I didn't hear back from Laowa. That part of the process was not clear to me and Adoroma told me to just print the RMA from their site. Now Adorama is saying if I send them a copy of the receipt, they will check with their Credits team to see if they can reimburse.. Hopefully I can find the receipt haha... So it does look like I could have gotten them to pay, but I didn't work it hard enough...

Last edited by todd; 05-30-2017 at 12:24 PM.
05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I am at a loss here guys. Anyone who has this lens let me know your thoughts.

I purchased the new Laowa 12mm for my Pentax K1 and was unable to reach infinity focus on my copy. I couldn't get anything in the distance to be in perfect focus. I have both the Samyang 14mm and Pentax 15-30mm to compare it to which are both able to achieve focus at infinity. I am able to finally star to get distant objects in focus at f8 or higher. If it actually squeeze the lens against the camera mount sharpness does increase which means the distance between the sensor and the rear of the lens is somehow too great. I sent it back for a second copy which had the exact same issue. Unsure why this was I decided to actually send my camera back as it had 1 week left under warranty. At this point it seemed more likely that the camera may be at fault. Having a sensor capable of moving I was wondering if it was just somehow out of alignment. Both the samyang and Pentax can focus well past infinity while the Laowa cannot which might explain why those two lenses do not have issues. Well, I have now received back the camera and this issue still persists.

So, I can only conclude that I either received two bad copies in a row with the same issue or the folks at Precision Camera Repair, who Pentax uses for their warrant repairs, we incapable of diagnosing the problem I sent my camera in for. I have absolutely no way of knowing if Laowa of Pentax is at fault but it is frustrating because at f8 and smaller apertures where the lens is able to focus on distant objects it is a stellar lens and I want so badly to keep it. However $900+ for a lens that cannot achieve sharp pictures at any aperture more open than f8 is just not worth it as I planned on also using it for astrophotography.

Has anyone else had this camera and lens combo? Is it more likely that I received two bad copies or that my camera itself is somehow at fault? This is the only lens I own that cannot focus well past infinity so even though my other lenses are working that still does not mean I cannot rule out an issue with the camera despite the fact that they found no issue with it during repairs. Maybe it just was not meant to be.
Seems like Other mounts are having similar issues ....

Re: Anyone received the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 yet?: Third Party Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
LAOWA/Venus 12mm f/2.8 - FM Forums
05-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I will wait a bit before thinking about this lens
01-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #12

I purchased a Laowa 12mm last month from Adorama for a job in January and I am having the same issue. I brought it in Italy to test it over the holidays and I noticed it does not reach infinity. It is really sharp at close range but infinity remains evidently fuzzy. I m already annoyed at the iter I will have to go through when I will be back to Tokyo, to send it back somewhere to have it fixed. There is evidently something wrong with the lens...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-05-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Edited to forum rules
02-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

I purchased a Laowa 12mm from B&H when they first became available. I had the same issues - no infinity focus with a little bit of slack in the mount. Sent the 1st copy back, received a 2nd copy that also had the exact same issues. I sent that copy back as well. Looks like it's still a no-go on these lenses, which is a shame - I'd love to give it another shot.
02-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #14

I grew to believe that it is a characteristic of the lens, despite I assume it was not intentional. Many lanses have difficulties in reaching full infinity. Being an ultrawide, it is supposed to be used in relative proximity to the subject, making it ideal for interiors rather than exteriors. Stopped down at f8 or 11 it is normally or acceptably sharp (even if not outstanding, in my opinion). Particularly in good light condition. Anywhere below that, you'd better have your main focus closer than infinity. It certainly is a pity (or also a waste of resources, if you want) having an f2.8 12mm that you can't use for low-light situations at the widest focal, be them landscapes, building or interiors, since af f8 or more - distortion set aside - you are pretty much served with other cheaper and even older solutions. F2.8 and high iso (and I mean 800... which is by no means high) on Pentax K1 give an horrendous and useless infinity detail, mostly unusable, inside large buildings like churches or palaces. I tested it a bit during the holiday. Results in that sense where quite deluding. I am certainly used to very high definition for certain jobs, and perhaps demanding to a 12mm the same you have from a 20mm is not proper. But a blurry/soft background, is beyond that, I guess. I contacted the guys and was requested some samples; they promised to look into it and let me know. But I haven't heard from them anymore.
03-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #15

I have this lens, don't turn it all the way to infinity. Set iy between 1.5 - 3m and you will get infinity focus.