Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying a lens from Ritz Camera?

Ritz Camera apparently still exists as a web store selling both on $bay and on their own website.
They sell "new" lenses, but when I asked about warranty, it only comes with a 30-day, free-return to Ritz warranty.
So is this what is meant by gray market lens?
The prices are significantly less than the other big stores, and I could probably get a SquareTrade warranty if I want and still pay a good deal less.
Any reason not to buy a new lens from Ritz?
I've regularly used B&H with good results, but I'm looking to save some money.

05-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Their website says the products they sell are "international", but they also offer a 1 year warranty.
05-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They seem to be 100% gray market...
05-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ritz isn't listed as an authorized dealer, so I'd assume everything to be grey market. Depending on which lens you're buying, it may indeed be a great candidate for a third-party warranty.

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/images/Ricoh%20Imaging_Authorized%20Dealer%20List_030217.pdf

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What does gray market actually mean?
Is it just the included warranty? Or are these factory seconds which didn't pass authorized dealer standards?
05-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
What does gray market actually mean?
It means that the item was not acquired through the authorized distribution channels and will not be warrantied except (possibly) through the manufacturer.

White = acquired through authorized distributors
Gray = acquired from other than authorized distributors*
Black = acquired through illegal means

Steve

* It is not unusual for gray market accessories and even lenses to be packaged as generic "white box" goods with little or no labeling to indicate brand.
05-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the clarification. The one I'm considering says "original packaging," so maybe it's simply acquired through an international channel and sold in US.
I guess one takes some chances and has to decide whether it's worth it.
Thanks again.

05-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Apparently Nikon is notoriously fussy and won't even repair (for a fee) grey market items. How particular is Pentax? I'm assuming they won't honor the grey market items warranty, but will the do for-cost repairs?
05-31-2017, 01:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Haven't had to invoke it, but I understand the Pentax warranty is international.

There might be some fine print regarding proof of purchase from an authorized dealer, although more likely any proof of purchase would be to prove the purchase date against the warranty length.