Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Takumar 58mm f2

So I recently purchased the original Asahi Pentax and it came with a 58mm f2 Takumar. From the pictures, I could see that the aperture blades were coated in oil so I assumed that in addition to the CLA for the body, I waould also have to have the lens serviced. To my surprise, when I received the kit today, I found that this lens has no automation whatsoever in the aperture so oily blades are not a concern.

The lens is near perfect with no marks on the glass and only very minimal internal dust. The only flaw is a tiny chip about the size of a pinhead in the paint on the lens barrel. The AP is in similar exceptional cosmetic condition but the mirror and shutter are not functioning correctly. I got the kit for $250 shipped so I really hope that Eric can get this old AP up and running again. If so, I'll have gotten the kit and CLA for less than what some might have paid for the lens alone.

05-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find; congratulations.

Yeah, the best thing about the older, pre-auto Taks is that "oily/sticky blades" isn't a thing that matters - unless, as in the case of a K-mount Vivitar I inherited, they're so sticky they are jammed open (or worse, shut)!!!

I wish I could say they didn't matter at all, but there are too many people I know (including me) who shoot M42 film bodies on which it DOES matter. Best of luck getting your new rig fixed.
05-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My favorite M42 to shoot with is my SV so yes, I understand the importance of using care in ensuring that aperture blades are not sticking. I've had, and still have, a few slow ones unfortunately.
05-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I understand the importance of using care in ensuring that aperture blades are not sticking.
I never doubted it, but sometimes I feel it appropriate to leave a reminder for digital-only shooters as to why this matters.