Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Thinking about this lens....The price is right....what do you folks think?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sears 28mm 2.8 Wide Camera Lens PENTAX K Mount MACRO - eBay (item 220269306481 end time Aug-21-08 17:52:12 PDT)

This lens is a macro lens...will this take good all around shots?
Anyone have this lens?

Thanks!

JRock

08-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without knowing more abut the lens, I'm inclined to doubt just how "macro" it really is. Sometimes lens makers slap tht name on just to say it focuses somwhat closer than other lenses. But in order to get 1:1 (macro) reproduction with a 28mm lens, you'd probably need the front of the lens to be no more than an inch away from your subject. I'm somewhat somewhat dubious that this lens can do that, and the picture showing the macro focus scale going only to 1:4 - which is to say, perhaps not better than the kit 180-55 lens (which does 1:3, although the whole crop factor probably comes into play) - doesn't add to my confidence. You might want to write the seller to ask just close it really does focus.

Even if it really does get you 1:1 magnification, I also question whether you'd *want* to be doing macro photography from a distance of one inch. For no more than what this is gong for, you could get one of the Raynox adapter that is being discussed in another thread, which would probably work out better.

On the other hand, if this really is a true macro lens - not only capable of 1:1 reproduction, but really optimized to have a nice flat field of focus - it could be quite cool. If the price doesn't go up to much, I'm sure it wouldn't to give it a shot. If nothing else, a 28/2.8 is worth having.

BTW, the mention of Ricoh in the description makes me suggest you look into the issue of Ricoh lenses getting permanently stuck on Pentax DSLRs before attempting to mount it. It's not n unsolvable problem, but you want to be sure you have it addressed finding it stuck, not after.
08-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, this one will most likely stick on your camera unless modified. And I am fairly certain it is not 1:1 macro.
08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #4

I have this lens, picked it up at a thrift store for about $10, but the aperature blades are slow to move (needs some cleaning inside I think is all). It is NOT a true macro lens, it will only go to 1:4. I haven't measured the closest focal distance, but on the focus ring it's about 4 inches. My copy looks identical to the one listed as far as I can see, and mine does not have the infamous "ricoh pin" and mounts to my K100D perfectly.

Unfortunately haven't had it around long enough to get any use out of it yet (been way too busy at work to do much picture takin lately).

08-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The mount looks OK, only the Ricoh PROGRAM (Pentax A series equivalent) have the sticking problem... I could be wrong but that's my story. The pre program Ricoh's are compatible.

Note that yes, you take the MACRO name with a grain of salt. But then remember who else was marketing 28mm CLOSE FOCUS lenses (Vivitar, Soligor) and you can begin to see this was likely made in the same factory and with the same specs.

In other words, this is probably a pretty good lens, only under a less good marketing brand.

(Pricing is relative, but unless I were in throes of LBA, I'm thinking something like this can be had at a lower price. Also, though they don't have this online at the moment, I recall KEH selling these as 'general brand 28mm 2.8 close focus', which should also tell you something.)
08-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I think I will pass on this one!

JRock