Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
T2 to Pentax K adapter

Hello,

I just received a T2 to Pentax K adapter from eBay. Yes, one of those cheap ones ($5).
I tried it and it mounts to the T2 lens, but the mount doesn't fit any of my Pentax bodies. It looks to be the correct mount, but it doesn't turn. I sent a message to the seller in China with little hope so I want to ask here: Have anybody had this happened? Any hope to fix it? It seems to be a tolerance issue. Not sure if it's worth the effort of returning.
I'm testing in older non working bodies before trying a DSLR.

Thanks,
Ismael

06-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

I found you get what you pay for with T2 adapters. I pay a little more for ones that are marked "Japan" and haven't had any problems with them. Qualide is one brand name that I've had good luck with. Add Qualide or Japan to your eBay search.
06-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up a fotodiox T2-K for my Soligor 135/1.8 - flawless. I am very pleased
06-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The exact same thing happened to me!
T2 mount for P-K which seems to be ok but can't be mounted.
It was in a bag with other cheap Chinese T2 mounts, purchased at different times, so I can't say if it was a faulty piece among other perfectly fine ones, or a single purchase from a chinese vendor who sells faulty T2 adapters.
I'm sorry, I can't say if there is a vendor who should better be avoided, or if it's just a matter of poor QC.
I'd be grateful to get the right answer, maybe someone else, less messy and with less lenses, can give that answer

Cheers

P

06-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Happy to report I fixed it! It was $4 so it was not worth returning it. So what the heck!
I came to the conclusion it was a tolerance issue. I carefully filed away the back of the mount tabs and it improved ever so slightly. More filing looked promising. So out came the Dremel and went havoc on it! It works now but since the tabs were filed down, I'll treat it gently. This will not see much use anyways. Mostly a novelty for an occasional T2 lens that may come my way....

Thanks,
Ismael
06-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish ebay would let me skip certain countries when searching for products. I've gotten two T2/K-mount adapters, neither from China. The first one, in a box labeled "Sonia" I think, had the opposite of yours. It mounted, but it was slightly wobbly when tightened. The second one, worked just fine. I think it was Japanese, but I don't recall if it had any brand identification.
06-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the opposite opinion.
I'm glad to have the choice to buy cheap little accessories from Chinese vendors.
Especially for large format users, it means huge savings.
A simple retaining ring for a Compur/Copal/Prontor shutter could cost 15 times more if purchased from Linhof or Sinar, and they look and work exactly the same.
I've purchased dozens of accessories: lens caps, PK/M39/M42 back caps, hoods, step up/down rings, flanged M39/M42 to PK rings, T2 adapters, focusing adapters of various lenghts, etc, etc.
In such a huge number of accessories, just a single non working T2 adapter, plus a batch of infinity M42 to PK rings with too tight tolerances.
I haven't trashed them cause sooner or later they could come handy. If i have to, i'll try to improvise a fix with a file/dremel.
I guess the only way to be on the safe side is to try first one item, then order as many as you need once you make sure it works at it should. That is, if you need many. If you need just one piece, you can try another vendor if the first try was not successful. Still saving half of the money you'd spend with any other option.

One caveat specific to T2 adapters.
Chinese ones found on Ebay often are made with some kind of fiber, and the thread for the set screw is quite weak. The head of the screw is also easily damaged, especially if you want to transfer the same T2 from one lens to the other.
Unless you make sure the ring is made of aluminium, it could be preferable to buy a second hand one (made in Japan or Germany).

cheers

P

06-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some things I might want to buy from China, but when I know the thing I'm searching for is something I don't want to buy from there, it would be nice if I could subtract it from locations in my ebay search results. Of course, if I had that choice, I would also have the choice to not use it, as would other people.
06-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a high quality T adapter, try Edmund Scientific, but they aren't cheap.
06-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you want a high quality T adapter, try Edmund Scientific, but they aren't cheap.
I keep forgetting that Edmund is still around. When I was a grade school kid, my older brother would get their catalog in the mail...early 1960s!
06-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I keep forgetting that Edmund is still around. When I was a grade school kid, my older brother would get their catalog in the mail...early 1960s!
I used to get their ctatlog as well, and ordered some items from them although I cannot now remember precisely what. Since then they have spkit into Edmund Scientific and Edmund Optics. I think that the optics division is the one that has a diverse line of T-system tubes, adapters, etc.
06-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to get their ctatlog as well, and ordered some items from them although I cannot now remember precisely what. Since then they have spkit into Edmund Scientific and Edmund Optics. I think that the optics division is the one that has a diverse line of T-system tubes, adapters, etc.
I suspect that a number of those Edmund Optics T-adapters and related parts are for connecting cameras to telescopes, microscopes, or other kinds of optical systems most photographers aren't using.
06-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I suspect that a number of those Edmund Optics T-adapters and related parts are for connecting cameras to telescopes, microscopes, or other kinds of optical systems most photographers aren't using.
Not quite. They are sold mostly together with bench optics supplies = for laboratory set-ups. I use a T-adapter, a long T-tube and a T to RMS adapter all from Edmund to mount a microscope objective for first-step extreme macro (about 2X-4X range). At greater magnifications, I use a modified Wild microscope with a Pentax bellows atop. However, I also have a T thread to telescope adapter if I want to use the scope as a long telephoto (direct projection, eyepiece removed).
06-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not quite. They are sold mostly together with bench optics supplies = for laboratory set-ups. I use a T-adapter, a long T-tube and a T to RMS adapter all from Edmund to mount a microscope objective for first-step extreme macro (about 2X-4X range). At greater magnifications, I use a modified Wild microscope with a Pentax bellows atop. However, I also have a T thread to telescope adapter if I want to use the scope as a long telephoto (direct projection, eyepiece removed).
I have the Asahi Pentax microscope adapter, but it goes straight to m42, alas, no T-mount involved. I need to unpack my old microscope and try it out again!