Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How fixible is...

A Pentax-A 1:2 50mm, with a jammed focus ring?

06-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

sounds like enough trouble to replace the lens outright, given how common and cheap they are....
06-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt anyone can give you a real answer without actually seeing and holding the lens. That said, unless something is actually broken, from a severe drop for example, these lenses are quite repairable. Could be nothing more than a loose screw.

However, the Pentax-A 50mm f/2 is as common as weeds in my yard so the economic way forward is to just buy a mint one off ebay. Almost certainly less expensive than paying for repair. If you want to attempt it yourself, there are several videos online showing Pentax lens disassembly. But you will need to buy or make a few special tools which puts the cost back up.
06-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I doubt anyone can give you a real answer without actually seeing and holding the lens. That said, unless something is actually broken, from a severe drop for example, these lenses are quite repairable. Could be nothing more than a loose screw.

However, the Pentax-A 50mm f/2 is as common as weeds in my yard so the economic way forward is to just buy a mint one off ebay. Almost certainly less expensive than paying for repair. If you want to attempt it yourself, there are several videos online showing Pentax lens disassembly. But you will need to buy or make a few special tools which puts the cost back up.
Well, I was thinking more of attempting a repair.

The lens was most likely damaged in shipping - the gap between the focus ring and aperture ring is not consistent, it looks like one side was pushed in.

Last edited by timw4mail; 06-06-2017 at 08:10 AM.
06-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have one with that problem; it came with a K1000 I got for like $10.
06-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Well, I was thinking more of attempting a repair.

The lens was most likely damaged in shipping - the gap between the focus ring and aperture ring is not consistent, it looks like one side was pushed in.
It does not hurt to take a broken lens apart. Once you dig in, I predict you will find that the chassis and/or focus ring are broken as in "here is a big crack that goes ALL the way through" kind of broken.

Steve
06-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

I had one pretty similar; I took it apart and the problem was clearly a shock had misaligned the threads. After much messing around with more gentle attempts, I was able to time-reverse the shock (i.e., I hit it hard in the opposite direction) and popped the screw threads back together. Works great now, though it's still an A50/2 and not really superb (but oh they don't make focus throw like that anymore, I love the feel of greased helicoids).

06-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes, one of those rules of thumb: If you're having trouble fitting something, try a bigger hammer.
08-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Ah yes, one of those rules of thumb: If you're having trouble fitting something, try a bigger hammer.
Ok, so I've just been given a K1000 which looks like its spent the last two decades in the bottom of a tool drawer. Being a K1000 it seems to work just fine despite the new hammered finish. It has a 50mm f2 M lens also. but the metal ring round the front element is loose. Is this something that is easy to repair (if you know how :-) ) or does the lens have to be dismantled from the back?

Also the K1000 doesn't seem to have a serial number anywhere. Its case is all metal, shouldn't it be stamped in somewhere?
08-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
Ok, so I've just been given a K1000 which looks like its spent the last two decades in the bottom of a tool drawer. Being a K1000 it seems to work just fine despite the new hammered finish. It has a 50mm f2 M lens also. but the metal ring round the front element is loose. Is this something that is easy to repair (if you know how :-) ) or does the lens have to be dismantled from the back?

Also the K1000 doesn't seem to have a serial number anywhere. Its case is all metal, shouldn't it be stamped in somewhere?
It should be stamped on the bottom of the camera, but I don't think they used paint or anything.
08-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
It should be stamped on the bottom of the camera, but I don't think they used paint or anything.
I was just going to edit my post. The serial number is on the bottom, it was hidden by some sticky gunk. Its 6278271. Lens is 3877662. I think that makes it a Hong Kong one.
08-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote

Perennial advice VAV the the metal ring: Screw it!
08-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Sounds very fixable, I took apart the same lens but M version and it's easy to do (and easy to put back too). Hardest part is making sure you calibrate to infinity properly. Someone's even got a whole video for it