Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What's in this lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Below is a link to a photo showing some white spots on the inside of the front element of a lens I just bought when I let a flashlight shine through it. Does anyone know if this is fungus? Also, does anyone know how to remove the front element of this Tele Takumar 200 f5.6 so I can maybe try to clean it? They don't seem to affect the image quality but they do bother me a little.Thanks.

Untitled | stillshot2 | Flickr

Last edited by stillshot2; 06-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.
06-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely fungus. I think you can just unscrew the name plate and then disassemble from the front, but I'll let better informed posters give the real answer on that.
06-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

if it is on the back of the front element it should be easy to clean. Try using an m42 lens mount cap with some rubber between it and the front plate. I tried it on a takumar 28 3.5 and it worked great.

Wish you the best of luck, it is a superb lens that is worth repairing
06-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Try using an m42 lens mount cap with some rubber between it and the front plate.
This was genius, I was able to get it off! But then there is another threaded ring holding the element in place with two slots for unscrewing it that are 180 degrees apart from each other. I am having trouble getting it off since I only have a small flat head screwdriver that fits in one of the two slots to remove the ring, and it is on pretty tight and I don't want to slip and scratch the lens. Is there a good way to remove this ring without the proper two pronged tool?

06-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spanner wrench substitutes - PentaxForums.com
06-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spanner wrench. In a pinch try a pair of metal dividers or a pair of scissors. But spanner is safest and best.
06-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although you can use things in a pinch, a real spanner wrench is the safest way to NOT scratch the front element. The wrenches are not that expensive. Here is a $14 one that comes out of CA:

Pro DSLR Lens Spanner Wrench Opening Tool For Camera Repair open Tools 15~100MM | eBay

Good luck!

06-09-2017, 01:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried a pair of scissors that fit really well but even after quite a bit of force it didn't budge. I may have to purchase a spanners wrench. I was able to clean a lot of fungus off the front of the lens with a microfiber cloth and a lot of pressure, but even though it looks much cleaner when shining a flashlight, the spots are still there when I fog the lens with my breath. Could the fungus have etched itself into the front element?

Last edited by stillshot2; 06-09-2017 at 04:55 AM.
06-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I tried a pair of scissors that fit really well but even after quite a bit of force it didn't budge. I may have to purchase a spanners wrench. I was able to clean a lot of fungus off the front of the lens with a microfiber cloth and a lot of pressure, but even though it looks much cleaner when shining a flashlight, the spots are still there when I figure the lens with my breath. Could the fungus have etched itself into the front element?
i think you need to use some cleaning fluid (you can find lots of alternatives on a random search engine)

i had to clean 2 of my lenses of fungus but do not remember exactly what i used; might have been hydrogen peroxide.

p.s. after the operation you might leave a lot of dust in the lens (i know i have) which is really hard to get rid of, but can be seen only with a flashlight. better ignore that
06-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't mind dust. But won't chemicals remove any coatings on a lens? Or is this lens so old it doesn't have any?
06-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Possible condensation and drying. A wet wipe clean should do it I am thinking. The wet wipes I use are the ones you get in walmart (Ziess or Nikon makes them for glasses in general)
06-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tried mild soapy water and even a little windex and the spots are still there. Any other suggestions for a cleaning agent? Also, I just remembered I have a spanner to remove watch case backs but sadly the prongs were too wide. The inside of the lens actually isn't nearly as bad as the outside though so I may give up trying to open it. Could it have locktite holding it together?

Last edited by stillshot2; 06-09-2017 at 06:33 PM.