Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #1

Irix 15mm Blackstone stuck on F--

Hello,

i have received today a Irix 15mm Blackstone but when mounted on K-1 ( or even k-5) the camera just show F-- and i can't control the aperture
am i missing something (an option to be enabled in the camera to enable the lens aperture ) ? or the lens is defective ?

thank for your help

06-10-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It wouldn't be a settings issue. I'd check to make sure that the lens is mounted correctly, and that all the contacts are clean. If it still doesn't work, it might be a candidate for an exchange.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2017, 02:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
sorry,

i can't find an edit button.
i'll add that i have a samyang 85mm f1.4 who is working well.

---------- Post added 06-10-17 at 02:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It wouldn't be a settings issue. I'd check to make sure that the lens is mounted correctly, and that all the contacts are clean. If it still doesn't work, it might be a candidate for an exchange.
thank for the response
I just clean the contacts with a cloth, always the same issue.
Well the lens will go back to the store :/
06-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #4

Does the lens have A mode button on its body?

06-10-2017, 02:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
no A mode button on this lens, we can't even change the diaphrame manually
it's too bad, the photos look very promissing f2.4...
06-10-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just had the same problem appear on my copy after six months of faultless and very pleasing performance. Cleaning the contacts made no difference; and the problem recurred irrespective of camera body (K1 and K5). There is no service centre in Australia apparently, so yesterday my lens started its journey from Australia back to the manufacturer's service centre in Korea, with IRIX meeting the courier freight cost on their account. It took a few email exchanges to organise, but I can't fault their co-operation so far.
06-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd suspect that this might be caused due to imprecision in the engineering of the lens mount. Still, it shouldn't be too hard to pull off an A-type lenses, as Samyang does it pretty well and it really is quite simple.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just had the same thing happen with my new Samyang 14mm. I just got it in the mail yesterday from B&H. Put it on my K1 and it showed F--. Turned the aperture ring out of A and then back in and it started to work. Used it yesterday and today for test shots with no problem. Put it back on the camera this afternoon and got F--. Tried my K3 and got the same. Have tried over and over, and can't get it to go into A mode any more. Contacts look fine, other lens all work.

The Samyang has an aperture ring so its not like I can't use the lens, just have to use the green button or the DOF switch to meter. It's just a pain when I shouldn't have to. The lens will only be used for landscapes and night skies so it's not really a problem. So now I have to decide if its worth going through the pain of the return or if I just accept it as an M lens. I am in Canada so a B&H return will be a couple weeks and milky way season is on. Plus I already have some planned outings in the next couple weeks that I had hoped to take this lens on. I did a brick wall test and it doesn't appear to have any decentering issues, which is a more serious and common issue with these lenses.

Hmmm, now to decide what to do...

06-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Used it yesterday and today for test shots with no problem. Put it back on the camera this afternoon and got F--.
After fixing the aperture ring problem on my SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 it started doing this. I had gotten some non-conducting grease into the A pin mechanism. Cleaning the pin assembly with lighter fluid fixed the problem. The Samyang may have completely different design for the A pin assembly but the problem could be similar.

Since the Irix does not have an aperture ring it could be an alignment problem with the A pin or an internal connection.
07-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Loktard Quote
Hello,

i have received today a Irix 15mm Blackstone but when mounted on K-1 ( or even k-5) the camera just show F-- and i can't control the aperture
am i missing something (an option to be enabled in the camera to enable the lens aperture ) ? or the lens is defective ?

thank for your help
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I just had the same problem appear on my copy after six months of faultless and very pleasing performance. Cleaning the contacts made no difference; and the problem recurred irrespective of camera body (K1 and K5). There is no service centre in Australia apparently, so yesterday my lens started its journey from Australia back to the manufacturer's service centre in Korea, with IRIX meeting the courier freight cost on their account. It took a few email exchanges to organise, but I can't fault their co-operation so far.
Got my IRIX 15mm Blackstone back from IRIX Service in Korea this morning . It works just as it should .

There was a bad pin contact internal to the mount, which was repaired free of charge. IRIX paid for Air Express Courier (DHL) service both ways, acknowledged receipt of the lens from me, told me what the fault was, and advised its dispatch back to me. Just over 3 weeks for the whole process including a 2 day hold-up by Australian Customs who appear not to have read the accompanying invoice properly.

I can only compliment IRIX on their service.