Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2017, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA*55mm f1.4 - great portrait lens on APS-C, great "standard" lens on FF.

To be honest there are so many excellent lenses in this range that it's fine lines between many of them. The F 50mm f2.8 Macro is superb even with its violent autofocus. The 50mm 1.2's have a special character of their own with their ultra fine DOF, but they can be difficult to use. The Nokton 58mm f1.4 is probably my favourite Manual Focus "standard".

We really are spoilt for choice

06-13-2017, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I have got only 2 50mm, and both are sharp + have their own place in my bag.
Low light + compact = M50 f1.7
Starbursts + Auto-focus + Macro + in a mood of working out = FA50 macro
06-13-2017, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

I also like my Volna 9 50mm 2.8 macro lens. Great creamy bokeh.
06-13-2017, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #34

I've got a bit of a soft spot in my heart for the Helios 44-2. Just has such a unique quality to it when shot wide open.

For autofocus, I tend to use the FA 50 1.7 or the 50mm 2.8 Macro if I need the extra sharpness.

06-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
a pristine S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 I have
Steel grooves or rubber on the focal ring? S-M-C suggests the older Super Takumar styling but still with the aperture linkage gear.
06-13-2017, 04:04 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Super Takumar 50/1.4, 8 elements version is so good, I have two copies, "just in case".

But my favorite lens is the Macro Takumar 50/4 - not only for its IQ and normal plus 1:1 macro use, but also the sheer entertainment value of using such a beautifully engineered pre-set lens. Just looking at the photo of the lens below (taken by ripper 2860's excellent choice, a radio-active Carl Zeiss Jena 50/1.8 Pancolar) makes me want to go and shoot with it right now....but I'm in the office and it's at home!

06-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Steel grooves or rubber on the focal ring? S-M-C suggests the older Super Takumar styling but still with the aperture linkage gear.
In my personal parlance, going by the engraving on the beauty ring:
  • S-M-C = Super-Multi-Coated, with metal focusing grip
  • SMC = rubber focusing grip
The lens I referenced has the metal grip.
06-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anyone else used a Yashica Yashinon-DX 1.4/50 before?

06-13-2017, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I own a good number of 50mm, Pentax and third party, M42 and PK, AF and MF.
I haven't properly tested all of them, and even less are those i've used on full frame (K-1). I am giving general suggestions, but let's not forget that sensor size makes a difference, the borders are cropped on APS-C!
Excluding the macros (preferred: Pentax-F 2.8/50mm), and considering i can't express a preference for AF cause i have only one (the FA 1.4/50mm, same as the previous versions), i concentrate on MF "normal" lenses.

* Super-fast 50mm: Revuenon 1.2/55mm in PK mount. Same as other Tomioka designs, wonderful lens, better than the Pentax-K 1.2/50mm and the Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm. Reported in order of preference, but all are worth buying.
* Swirly 50mm: Helios 44 2/58mm or Helios 44-2 2/58mm. The former needs two stacked adapter rings and could have a problem with infinity. The latter is a standard M42 lens.
* Best buy 50mm: Pentax-K 1.8/55mm or Pentax-A 1.7/50mm. The former well built, the latter has electric contacts.
* DIY 50mm: Meyer Trioplan 2.8/50mm in Altix or Exa mount. Bubble bokeh. Can be easily adapted to M42 if you're handy at this kind of stuff.
If you don't go the Trioplan route i'd suggest to try another triplet, like a Domiplan, or better a Cassar, Cassaron, or Meritar. All are available in M42 screw-mount.

I'm not suggesting any lens that i consider too much "in-the-middle", apart the "best buy's", which stand out for their great price/performance ratio.
We buy a new lens because we think we could get something "different".
If we want super-sharp, there are many 50/55mm macro, either 1:2 or 1:1.
If we want to blur the background and separate focus planes, better get a 50mm prime as fast as possible.
If we are after an "artsy" bokeh, Helios 44's or the Trioplan are a perfect choice.
If we just want a smooth bokeh, some flare and a pleasing softness without spending too much, a vintage triplet is a good solution.

My one cent (of euro)... which is going to disappear also in Italy, by the way. Poor cent

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-13-2017 at 08:08 AM.
06-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Revuenon 1.2/55mm in PK mount. Same as other Tomioka designs, wonderful lens, better than the Pentax-K 1.2/50mm and the Porst/Cosina 1.2/55mm.
Which of the 55mm 1.2's is the basis for the Rikenon P? The Revuenon/Tomioka or the Porst/Cosina? I have always believed it to be the latter.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
My one cent (of euro)... which is going to disappear also in Italy, by the way.
Is the euro cent disappearing, or is Italy going back to the Lira? (The one cent coin seems to be disappearing everywhere, mostly because its monetary value is less than that of the metal it's made with. Australia's one and two cent coins went an age ago, Canada followed suit by ditching the one very recently.)
06-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #41

I love my FA 50 1.7, but since the DA 40 XS is my lens cap for the camera, its my pick for the normal prime.
06-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
I love my FA 50 1.7, but since the DA 40 XS is my lens cap for the camera, its my pick for the normal prime.
Hmm...that's not within the focal range I set...but since it's APS-C I'll say it counts
06-13-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

An unfortunate experience one day was when I watched a guy just before me buy an old SF10 with an F50/1.4 lens on it for $25 USD at a charity flea market fundraiser for our local senior center. For two years I tried to find an F50/1.4 in good condition without success. Three years later at the same charity flea market, I left with an ME super with a M50/1.7 on it for $15 USD. There was no hope for the ME super. I just tossed it but the M50/1.7 was in like new condition. Later, I got an FA50/1.7 in EX+ condition from KEH. Now I have two 50's to play around with. My thoughts:
Love the build quality and feel of the M50 but it is really too manual to use now that I am used to autofocus and ability to use Av mode. I may try to see if I can setup my K-5 and K-3 to see if I can use catch in focus to semi-automate focusing. My idea is to enable CIF, press and hold the shutter release all the way and hope it snaps the picture then the center target is in focus.
After handling the M version, the FA50/1.7 just doesn't feel as good, but I can use it in any mode with autofocus.
Both lenses are very sharp and probably have the same optical formula. I guess I would give my favorite 50 nod to the FA50/1.7 based on its usability and versatility. They do have one significant competitor in my bag and that is the HD DA40 Limited. More often than not, this is the lens I take with me when I need 40-50mm lens.
06-13-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #44
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

several 50's here, but I'd have to say my favorite is the K55/2, followed quickly with the Helios 44K-4... I have a couple more that are good, solid performers, but nothing like those two....

and my SMC A 50mm f1.4 is off for a CLA, so I cannot comment about it, just yet...
06-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my personal parlance, going by the engraving on the beauty ring:
  • S-M-C = Super-Multi-Coated, with metal focusing grip
  • SMC = rubber focusing grip
The lens I referenced has the metal grip.
I too simply go by the label on the lens.

Steve