Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is giving me ideas..

I'm still searching for my perfect 50.

So far I've got the M 50/1.4, the K 50/1.4 (I thought the M had an issue, I don't think it does though. prefer the Ms handling over the K).
I recently got to try a M 50/1.7 for a couple of days and shot many cars with it (soon to be in the K-1 photo thread.) and I quite enjoy that too as a neutral - not quite as fast - 50 for.. neutral work.
I've also got Cosinon and a Carenar 50/1.8. Dirt cheap, okay in center and very soft towards edges. Properly smeared. Interesting effect though.
Helios 44 and 44k-4 are cool in their own way and very useable. Can easily be used daily but also is not what I'm looking for all the time.
Industar 50-2 is absolutely brilliant for it's size. Very sharp stopped down, doesn't flare that much and as far as I remember has barely any aberrations.

I wouldn't mind finding either something with lots of character/fun rendering/soft focus and something that has little to no purple fringing and is fairly sharp across the frame..

It's funny, I've got my go to lenses for most lengths, but the 50s which exist in abundance are the trickiest ones to find a suitable one.

06-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
This thread is giving me ideas..

I'm still searching for my perfect 50.

So far I've got the M 50/1.4, the K 50/1.4 (I thought the M had an issue, I don't think it does though. prefer the Ms handling over the K).
I recently got to try a M 50/1.7 for a couple of days and shot many cars with it (soon to be in the K-1 photo thread.) and I quite enjoy that too as a neutral - not quite as fast - 50 for.. neutral work.
I've also got Cosinon and a Carenar 50/1.8. Dirt cheap, okay in center and very soft towards edges. Properly smeared. Interesting effect though.
Helios 44 and 44k-4 are cool in their own way and very useable. Can easily be used daily but also is not what I'm looking for all the time.
Industar 50-2 is absolutely brilliant for it's size. Very sharp stopped down, doesn't flare that much and as far as I remember has barely any aberrations.

I wouldn't mind finding either something with lots of character/fun rendering/soft focus and something that has little to no purple fringing and is fairly sharp across the frame..

It's funny, I've got my go to lenses for most lengths, but the 50s which exist in abundance are the trickiest ones to find a suitable one.
Nah, 50s just seem to be more specialized, despite the fact that they used to be kit lenses.

• For instance my favorite, the S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4: is a beast of a lens, difficult to beat in build quality and rendering. But it wouldn't be great for quick, precision focusing compared to, say a Rikenon 1:2/50mm, which has a short, light, focus throw.
  • Helioses are great for effect, and general rendering
  • Industars are the most portable full-frame 50s (And the smallest Tessar designs)
  • Tessars are the simplest way to get a good ~50mm lens, 4 elements in three groups, and they tend to be pretty sharp
06-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 - I have had this lens and worked with it for years, I know the optical proclivities of my own copy of it and find the lens to be easily in my top 10 50mm lenses ever made. I use it often as it is an excellent lens for portraiture not just because of its speed, but when it is stopped down it produces the "soft-sharpness" that some of the older generation of sought after large format lenses produce. The SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 it isn't as bitingly contrasty as some of the later and current FA and DA primes*, but it also doesn't have the same degree of optical aberration. In fact, the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 has measurably less axial CA than the late versions of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 - not too shabby for a lens designed in the mid 1970s.

Can you compare that to the A50/1.2 and say why you prefer the K?
06-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Can you compare that to the A50/1.2 and say why you prefer the K?
I just prefer the aesthetic design of the K version. Having said that I own a copy of the A version the Pentax 50mm f/1.2, the A and K versions are literally the same lens.

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 is a lens that has particularly bad issues with axial chromatic aberration, the pentax has better control of axial aberrations - especially when it comes to purple fringing, where it cleanly beats the Pentax SMC-FA 77 Limited*

*I know, I know. That is not a particularly high bar to jump.

06-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Which of the 55mm 1.2's is the basis for the Rikenon P? The Revuenon/Tomioka or the Porst/Cosina? I have always believed it to be the latter.

Is the euro cent disappearing, or is Italy going back to the Lira? (The one cent coin seems to be disappearing everywhere, mostly because its monetary value is less than that of the metal it's made with. Australia's one and two cent coins went an age ago, Canada followed suit by ditching the one very recently.)
Hahaha, no lira!
Personally i'm fine with euros in my pocket. You know, i live abroad...
The circulation of 1 and 2 cent coins was already stopped by most EU countries. Italy is just following the others.
Good under a practical point of view, though it should negatively affect inflation. Not that much i guess...

About the Cosina and Tomioka design, what i found from my own examples, from taking a close look to internet pictures is as such:
the Porst is a Cosina design (same as Cosinon-S)
the Revuenon is a Tomioka design (as the Ricoh, the Cosina, and few others)
This is only true considering f/1.2 lenses.
The Porst f/1.4 is actually a Tomioka design. This adds to the confusion.
My personal opinion is shared by more experienced collectors on mflenses.com

cheers

Paolo

---------- Post added 14-06-17 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I just prefer the aesthetic design of the K version. Having said that I own a copy of the A version the Pentax 50mm f/1.2, the A and K versions are literally the same lens.
I totally agree.
The build quality, and the "tactile experience" is at its best with the first generation of PK lenses. M lenses are a touch inferior, A lenses have a weaker build (plastic is introduced, weak diaphragm ring). Those who dare to dismantle AF lenses (i don't) say that F lenses have better internal build than the FA, despite their wobbly feel.
Usually i prefer A lenses over fully manual ones, cause they are a breeze to use, but i use the 1.2/50mm fully open, so i can shoot in AV and forget about the green button. I think it makes no sense to invest a lot of money in a Pentax-A, considering that the SMC Pentax has just minor limits.

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-14-2017 at 02:23 AM.
06-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep trying other 50s and coming back to the SMC Takumar 55/1.8.
06-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I think the answer to this question is going to vary based on situation and platform. Anyone with an ES-series or F Spotmatic would do well to consider the S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4 for a walkaround lens in bright light, for example, unless eyeball-popping bokeh with razor thin DOF is their intention. I spent the day playing around with my SPF and S-M-C Macro 50/4 yesterday with pretty much an entire roll of colour film shot, and the flexibility is amazing, especially if one is a lover of flowers and other small details in nature.

06-19-2017, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

My choice is Pentax 50mm f/1.2, K version has the same quality but less convenient because does not allow you to control the aperture from the camera. And in general it is the best 50mm lens not only among Pentax system.
06-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
My choice is Pentax 50mm f/1.2, K version has the same quality but less convenient because does not allow you to control the aperture from the camera. And in general it is the best 50mm lens not only among Pentax system.
Best 50mm lens for what? There are faster lenses, there are cheaper lenses, there are smaller lenses, etc.

Lens design is such a set of tradeoffs, I find it hard to believe there is such a thing as a "best" lens, even within one focal length.
06-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Best 50mm lens for what? There are faster lenses, there are cheaper lenses, there are smaller lenses, etc.

Lens design is such a set of tradeoffs, I find it hard to believe there is such a thing as a "best" lens, even within one focal length.
Pentax A 50mm f/1.2 one of the best (may be best ) lenses ever made in this focal range, of course it doesn't chip.

Last edited by Patriot; 06-19-2017 at 06:40 AM.
06-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Especially not one as diversely and extensively populated as 50/55/58mm.
06-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Agreed, but one can still have a favorite. It's not like they're your kids...

No wait -- it's exactly like that!!
06-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Agreed, but one can still have a favorite. It's not like they're your kids...

No wait -- it's exactly like that!!
That's why I labeled this thread as "Your favorite 50?" and not "Your best 50?"

I have two 50/1.4 lenses, A S-M-C Takumar, and a Yashica Yashinon-DX.

• The Takumar has better overall rendering, and minimum focus distance.
  • The Yashinon has more focus "pop"
So I like using the Yashinon more in low-light situations.

And, even at the same focal range and maximum f-stop, there is still variety, which still rules out a "best" lens.