Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens storage ...in case or not?

Hi, All:

I have a fairly big collection of Takumar M42 lenses, the majority of them with hard cases. I am concerned that storing them in the case is not a good idea due to being in a closed container in the dark. (Fungus?)

I currently keep the lenses inside their case, stored in a cabinet under air conditioning. Humidity is fairly well controlled, about 56% RH @ 78F. I am considering storing the lenses in open air, but then there's the trade off of dust build up.

Does my concern have merit? I lost a 400mm Sigma back in the 80s due to fungus, and I had kept it in the case. I worried that long-term case storage contributed to the lens' demise. What do you all think?

thanks

germar

08-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Banned

just get some silica gel packets and put one in each case. that should help. change them out every now and again and it should keep them plenty safe. I have no special cabinet to keep my lenses and they stay in open air except my few takumars for which I store them as described above. as long as the caps are on and you dust on a regular basis (as one should) I don't really see how dust could be a problem.
08-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

+1 to Séamuis, based on my own experience maintaining lenses since the early '70s. If mine aren't on the camera, they're in their cases. I change/dry out the silica gel packets every couple of months (Pacific NW, y'know). Never lost a lens to fungus yet!
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It really depends on how dry it is where you live. The threat from fungus is real even when kept in hard cases with silica gel packets. Secondly the problem is in the foam padding which will disintegrate over time, leaving black sticky residue. Best to keep your gear in a humidifier case at 40-45% RH setting.

08-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Silica gel packs are best available at the link and if you match the right size to the contained area, you can get the moisture down to a Mojave level:

http://www.dehumidify.com/HydrosorbentProducts.htm

I have no relationship with the company; just used their products in a different line of work and realized they were ideal for optical equipment storage.