Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,703
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Subtle hints from this group


Nothing too likely

IMHO, YMMV
Subtle hints like 'Buy your sweetie a $2100 lens you cheapskate."

Maybe i shouldn't be on the committee that composes the petition.

06-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,480
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Subtle hints like 'Buy your sweetie a $2100 lens you cheapskate."

Maybe i shouldn't be on the committee that composes the petition.
hey, that is better than I expected

I am nominating you to head up the committee
06-14-2017, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,754
Conditions:
1) K3 mounted on heavy tripod (Bogen/Manfrotto 3221), Shutter on "X," cable release, two-second delay;
2) Standard Air Force resolution test chart about 20 feet away (as far as my basement "studio" would conveniently allow; the entire chart not covered by any of lenses tested at this distance)
3) Illuminated by one Cactus flash, wirelessly triggered;
4) manual focus using enlarged focus peaking, five refocusing trials for each lens including at least two from each direction (down from infinity & up from nearest focus distance);
5) Best of five shots selected in each case.

All shot @ nominal f8 (=effective f11 when TC attached) in belief this would be near the best possible IQ.
Imagine the central black-colored block of resolution bars as a small warbler. This has been cropped and enlarged from each selected image file to show the detail resolved.
Some minor exposure adjustments applied to the best-quality JPEGS from the camera.

In each set of four from the top: 1) DA 300mm f4; 2) DA 300 f4 + DA 1.4X; 3) DA 150-450mm @ 450mm; 4) DA 150-450mm @ 450mm + DA 1.4X.

---------- Post added 06-14-17 at 01:50 PM ----------


---------- Post added 06-14-17 at 01:56 PM ----------

My take on the tests above. There are three nested sets of resolution bars - look at the innermost, smallest set in each of the crops, especially the bars at lower right and upper left. The 300mm and 150-450 @ 450 have the best resolution of these, with perhaps a very small edge for the 150-450. Both images taken with the TC are not as good as those taken without using the same lens despite the lesser cropping/enlargement. In practice, I suspect cropped images taken with the 300mm would be indistinguishable from those taken with the 150-450 @ 450mm.
Attached Images
               

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-15-2017 at 02:50 AM.
06-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 1,933
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Just chiming in to give a thumbs up on the fantastic attached shot!
And its great in real life too


Dave

06-14-2017, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote

Comparing the two lenses, there are obvious plusses and minusses:

My DA* would win on weight - presumably build (hard to match?) - handling (easy to shoot hand-held)
The DFA would win on reach, obviously, but how about feather details at 50 meter distance? How about AF speed? And bokeh?
DFA would be K1 compatible, potentially, but from what I hear the DA* 300mm works well on FF also.
DA* is f4, while the DFA is 5.6 at the long end - but I hardly ever shoot wide open anyway because it makes the focus plane too narrow for most birds.
Build quality of the DFA is every bit as good as the DA*.
Focusing is also faster with the DFA than the DA*. In my opinion, much faster especially when using the limiter.
DA* is indeed full frame compatible.
DFA is much larger. You can compare photos but it is hard to appreciate unless you handle both at the same time.
I found that the 150-300mm range of the DFA was as important, if not moreso than 300-450mm. A lot of folks discount the wide of a telephoto zoom, but I think it adds so much more flexibilty.
06-14-2017, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,231
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
And its great in real life too


Dave
Thanks....I coudn't believe how good 150dpi on canvas can be....


Anyway.... note to op..... leave the following note for husband to consider...

Dear Darling,

I am currently feeling somewhat unfullfilled with my current situation, and need to share my feelings with you. I am finding it difficult to focus on occasions, taking more time than is reasonable, whilst, in the end, still left wanting for a bit more. I find my lack of reach at times somewhat frustrating, knowing I am missing out on important things..... so much just seems to be just passing me by these days. My mind has recently turned to pondering the things missing in my life..... and I think I now know what I need to do. This decision will impact you, so I'd like us to sit down and discuss how we can move forward with this.



Leave it a day or so..... and he'll be glad you only want a lens.... (there may be potential side effects)

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-14-2017 at 06:27 PM.
06-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 333
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Bokeh of the zoom can at times be a bit busy..... good light with the 450 at 450mm can still allow a lot of cropping.... this is a K-1 image at 450mm (iso 2000).... 1/3 crop (12mp)...prints to 24"x24" really nicely on canvas at 150dpi... what more can one want?
New Holland Honeyeater right? Nice one.

Anyways, I am also faced with the telephoto lens purchasing decision from the FA* 300, which I love but is too short for some things. I don't have any advice but the 150-450 does look nice. Good luck with the decision!
06-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,480
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
. . .


Anyway.... note to op..... leave the following note for husband to consider...

Dear Darling,

I am currently feeling somewhat unfullfilled with my current situation, and need to share my feelings with you. I am finding it difficult to focus on occasions, taking more time than is reasonable, whilst, in the end, still left wanting for a bit more. I find my lack of reach at times somewhat frustrating, knowing I am missing out on important things..... so much just seems to be just passing me by these days. My mind has recently turned to pondering the things missing in my life..... and I think I now know what I need to do. This decision will impact you, so I'd like us to sit down and discuss how we can move forward with this.



Leave it a day or so..... and he'll be glad you only want a lens.... (there may be potential side effects)

evil, just plain evil

06-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Thanks....I coudn't believe how good 150dpi on canvas can be....

Anyway.... note to op..... leave the following note for husband to consider...

Dear Darling,

I am currently feeling somewhat unfullfilled with my current situation, and need to share my feelings with you. I am finding it difficult to focus on occasions, taking more time than is reasonable, whilst, in the end, still left wanting for a bit more. I find my lack of reach at times somewhat frustrating, knowing I am missing out on important things..... so much just seems to be just passing me by these days. My mind has recently turned to pondering the things missing in my life..... and I think I now know what I need to do. This decision will impact you, so I'd like us to sit down and discuss how we can move forward with this.



Leave it a day or so..... and he'll be glad you only want a lens.... (there may be potential side effects)
I'm happy I am working from home today. I couldn't stop laughing! I love this plan!



QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Conditions:
1) K3 mounted on heavy tripod (Bogen/Manfrotto 3221), Shutter on "X," cable release, two-second delay;
2) Standard Air Force resolution test chart about 20 feet away (as far as my basement "studio" would conveniently allow; the entire chart not covered by any of lenses tested at this distance)
3) Illuminated by one Cactus flash, wirelessly triggered;
4) manual focus using enlarged focus peaking, five refocusing trials for each lens including at least two from each direction (down from infinity & up from nearest focus distance);
5) Best of five shots selected in each case.

[...]
Imagine the central black-colored block of resolution bars as a small warbler
[...]
Wpresto... wow! I can't believe you did this - this is brilliant!

Also, it convinced me of several things. Most importantly: A) I need to buy this lens. B) I am still not convinced about teleconverters. Comparing 1/2 and 3/4 still leaves me a little bit in favour of cropping.

To support my decision, it's really 2 and 3 I should be comparing, and I am totally convinced I see more details in the supercilliaries on the head of that warbler in 3!

Now, I am simply going to share a link to this thread with my husband. If this crazy lot of brilliant people can't convince him, nothing will!

I love this forum!
06-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I recently returned from the Gran Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks where I used a modified stedistock as a support when I didn't have time to set up a tripod with the 150 - 450 mm zoom

we added an additional screw attachment point to it and attached (yes with duct tape) a shortened shotgun stock [my friend who was trying to modify the stedistock for me didn't have time to finish. he was angry with me when I said let's try duct tape (he is a craftsman, I am a realist) but it did work to attach the stock

admittedly not as good as a good tripod but usable, even with the 1.4 rear converter

has the original poster looked at this thread to see how the 150 - 450 mm zoom works with short range targets ??

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - PentaxForums.com
Aslyfox, I never got around to commenting on this one, but that modified stedistock is so cool. I want one. And I sort of like it even better with the duct tape solution!

I bought my husband a zeiss telescope once, secondhand. The original owner had fashioned a cover for it out of a foam mat and brown packaging tape, with holes cut out for the focus wheels. It definitely changed the zeiss design impression. In his own words "it protects against both weather and theft!" My husband liked it so much, it is still on the scope.

(Also, the thread you link is full of more support for buying the lens. Thanks!)
06-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,480
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Aslyfox, I never got around to commenting on this one, but that modified stedistock is so cool. I want one. And I sort of like it even better with the duct tape solution!

I bought my husband a zeiss telescope once, secondhand. The original owner had fashioned a cover for it out of a foam mat and brown packaging tape, with holes cut out for the focus wheels. It definitely changed the zeiss design impression. In his own words "it protects against both weather and theft!" My husband liked it so much, it is still on the scope.

(Also, the thread you link is full of more support for buying the lens. Thanks!)
thanks for the kind thoughts

actually, it is a modified Stedi-Stock II, come to think of it

Stedi-Stock II Shoulder Brace Stabilizer for Cameras, Camcorders & Scopes with Quick Release (Black) and Shoulder Strap

here is the link on Amazon, it ma be available through other vendors:

amazon.com : Stedi-Stock II Shoulder Brace Stabilizer for Cameras, Camcorders & Scopes with Quick Release (Black) and Shoulder Strap : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

shotgun stock and duct tape sold separately

and if you only use duct tape to secure the shotgun stock, you can remove it when necessary to put it in your baggage. ( I put it into checked luggage so I didn't have to deal with TSA saying it was some sort of rifle or shot gun )

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-15-2017 at 02:35 AM.
02-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,480
I wonder if the original poster ever had any luck in obtaining the 150-450mm

I would love to know how the OP liked it compared to the 300mm

I have also found out if you contact the manufacturer of the stedistock II, they will work with you and provide one with 2 attachment points

Stedi-Stock | Stedi-Stock Stabilizes all Types of Cameras

You will need to provide measurements of the tripod foot and the distance between the two attachment holes

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-20-2018 at 07:42 AM.
02-21-2018, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,331
Original Poster
Hi Aslyfox:

Actually a second hand 500mm f4.5 Sigma turned up on the marketplace, and I ended up choosing that. I felt more comfortable with a fixed focal length, since I was never happy with my Sigma 150-500mm. I got the 500mm in October, and I didn't get enough opportunity to use it yet - on most short trips my DA* 300mm is so much handier to bring. But, with that said, I am happy with the performance of the 500mm.

Except maybe the AF: The lens focuses easily enough moving inwards from infinity, but seems unable to refocus if it moves closer than the target... does that make sense?

Here's a white tailed eagle shot with the Sigma 500mm f4.5
HavÝrn-7
02-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,480
Very nice

I will be renting the DA *300mm prime in May to see how I like it

I found my experienced D FA 150-450mm in like new condition at a very good price
02-22-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Very nice

I will be renting the DA *300mm prime in May to see how I like it

I found my experienced D FA 150-450mm in like new condition at a very good price
Well, I don't think any lens will ever surpass the DA* 300mm as my favourite. It is light, compact, solid and I love both the sharpness and bokeh.

Sometimes I simply need more reach, so I got the Sigma 500mm for those situations, particularly birding. But I take the DA* 300mm with me everywhere - because, you know, you walk along and suddenly a stoat jumps out at you...

Hermelin2
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, 300mm, 450mm, 500mm, bars, bigma, bokeh, da, da*, da* 300mm, dfa, f4, focus, hd pentax-d fa, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, pentax-d fa 150-450mm, pm, reach, resolution, slr lens, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! jpzk Lens Clubs 1659 1 Day Ago 12:40 PM
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW D1N0 Pentax News and Rumors 1426 07-07-2017 03:47 AM
Pentax HD -D FA 150-450mm Focus issues Andykins67 Repairs and Warranty Service 14 02-02-2017 12:19 PM
Pentax K-1 and HD 150-450mm D-FA combination Schraubstock Pentax K-1 15 05-28-2016 06:06 AM
PENTAX HD D FA DC AW 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ZOOM LENS - BLACK Australia Sorver Pentax Price Watch 8 05-12-2015 01:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top