Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
No lens information for K-1 kit lens (D FA 28-105)

I just noticed that for some reason the D FA 28-105 lens does not seem to show up in EXIF data as the lens used. I tried it with both the K-1 and the K-01 and both on a Mac (Photos and finder) and a PC (PS Elements and finder) with the same result. I tried several other older FA lenses and one Sigma lens and they were all listed as the lens used in the EXIF data. When I used the 28-105 the software just listed 'no lens information'. I could see the focal length and aperture but not what lens had been used. This is of course not a major problem, I hardly ever search for photos that were taken with a specific lens. Still it would be interesting to note why this lens does not show up in the EXIF data.

06-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your lens provides a code to the camera (a pair of numbers) that is recorded in the makernotes section of the EXIF. This is done rather than writing a model name in the LensModel tag of the standard EXIF. This pattern is common across brands and is not just a Pentax thing. Software that supports Pentax makernotes contains a table that maps the codes to lens model names. When a lens is newer than the software, the lookup table lacks the code and the software reports the lens model information as missing.

A software update generally solves the issue.

Addendum: Windows Explorer will generally not display the lens model unless it has been written to the LenModel tag by software as part of post processing.* I believe the same is true of the Mac Finder as well, though I may be wrong on that count (not a Mac user ).

Steve

* ...and even then, Explorer may fail to make that information available.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2017 at 12:22 PM.
06-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Your software on the Mac/PC will have to be updated. The EXIF data from the camera just includes a numeric code for the lens, and it is for your imaging software to provide the mapping to the lens name. It may take a while before the software manufacturer issues an update.
06-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
This makes sense. It apparently takes awhile to update these lens databases since it is more than a year since the lens was introduced. The software I tried was all current versions, except Photoshop Elements (I am using version 13). I had expected to have to update to the newest version to ensure compatibility with the K-1 raw files but have not had any problems. I am pretty sure it can not deal with pixelshifted images though.

06-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gylfimag Quote
The software I tried was all current versions, except Photoshop Elements (I am using version 13).
Adobe is often slow to add lenses to the tables used by its products and sometimes never does. My Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) has been out for several years and while profile support was added to Lightroom 5.x at least two years ago, the program itself will not id the lens on import. Grrrrr...

Steve
06-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ExifTool includes an updated version of libexif. I don't know why it takes Apple so long to update libexif in OS X...Adobe simply doesn't updated older software...

ExifTool by Phil Harvey
06-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It shows up correctly on my Mac using LR, ON1 2017, and exiftool. I think you just need to update your software/database.