Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
Damn Brit

Rubber hoods are really useful at an aquarium. They stop any stray light and are nice and soft on the glass.,

08-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I recently ran across this online vendor:

Other Brand Hoods

Has anyone else tried them?
yeah, I've bought from them a couple of times through ebay (I didn't know they had a website too) without any problems. The 49mm lens hood is very good for the price. The inside has a nice matte finish. I would have preferred higher quality anodizing on the outside of the hood, but it's still better than I expected for the price. The one I got didn't come with a lens cap. I'll have to see if I can find one that fits.

I really like the k-mount rear lens caps from heavystar. They cover the lens contacts and cost one-tenth of the oem pentax ones.
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #33
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another plus for the rubber hood.
1. compactness - takes up virtually no space in the bag when collapsed, so can remain on the lens when stored.
2. reasonably durable
3. reasonably cheap

I've been pleased with it.
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
That's a very good point! The "protection factor" would be much better than the rubber hood, and it would allow mf (which I don't particularly use on this lens), and lens cap usage to remain easy.

This may be a dumb questions, but where do you get filter rings with no lenses?

c[_]
I broke the glass out of some old ones :-))) Since I stopped using the high quality ones, I definitely will never use the crappy ones again :-)
If you don't have spare ones, ask in a photoshop (the old type that has been around forever, if you are still lucky to any close by) they might have some broken filters.

08-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I say yay for rubbers! they are really great!
08-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Went ahead and p/u a rubber from my local Henry's. Thus far it appears to work well. I can fold it back and attach the lens cover with ease and fold out when using. Takes almost no space in the old camera bag and was about $10.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with it. In fact, I may replace the larger metal/plastic ones that I have on my other lenses, as the space saving is pretty significant.

My wife likes it also as she gets into the shooting aspect and sometimes forgets to attach the hood.

Quite pleased with it.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

c[_]