Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FA 50 rubber lens hood...yay/nay??

Title says it all folks. I'm looking to p/u a lens hood for my fa50 1.4. I wondered if the collapsible rubber kind were any good (I've seen these on Ebay).

Pros/cons??

Thanks in advance.

c[_]

08-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one on a 50 mm on my film camera for many years. It finally tore through and fell apart. It was only 20 years old too.
I have had no issues with them at all but I have heard some complain they vigenette on some lenses.
08-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Title says it all folks. I'm looking to p/u a lens hood for my fa50 1.4. I wondered if the collapsible rubber kind were any good (I've seen these on Ebay).

Pros/cons??

Thanks in advance.

c[_]
Pros: Cheap, provide pretty good protection to the front of the lens, especially when folded back.
Cons: Not as effective as a rectangular hood that is fitted to the lens angle of view.
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Hoods

There is some debate as to whether lens hoods are of any value or not. There are several reasons to use a hood. Some suggest they reduce flare, increase colour saturation and they can protect the front of the lens from impacts and fingerprints. Many use hoods instead of protective filters. This helps image quality as you are not putting another piece of glass in front of your expensive lens which might degrade the image. They also look pretty cool. On the downside, like some long lenses, some hoods "may" cause shadow issues with flash, Vignetting can be a problem if the hood is not one specifically designed for use on your particular lens. On a more practical note they also take up premium space in your camera bag.

I’m a fan of the lens hood. I use them on all my lenses. I tried a rubber hood for a while on my M 50mm. On the plus side it was cheap and it kept out some stray light. These were about the only redeeming features of the cheap rubber hood I can recall. The rubber deteriorated over time and tore in the collapsable fold area. It then had to be replaced. If you are convinced of the value of lens hoods you might as well bite the bullet and buy a hard plastic or metal one in the first place. I prefer the rectangular hoods over the circular ones. They will/should last longer than the rubber ones providiing better protection in addition to the other advantages noted above.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-16-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
08-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good info.

I'm quite familiar with the benefits of the lens hood and the possible downsides too. Sounds like a collapsible rubber one would suffice for my needs (just looking to keep out stray light on this particular lens). If they last for 20 years (or even 5) I'll be more than satisfied.

Thanks for the assistance.

c[_]

P.S. I'll continue to watch this thread to see if anyone else has anything to add.
08-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I had one on a 50 mm on my film camera for many years. It finally tore through and fell apart. It was only 20 years old too.
I have had no issues with them at all but I have heard some complain they vigenette on some lenses.
Same here.
08-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Take up space? I have one 49mm rubber hood that I bought off of KEH, with "Vivitar" stamped on the side, so God only knows how old it is.....works with all of my Takumars except the 200/4.

It is only when I go more "modern" that I run into the problem of needing a variety of different hoods for different lenses.

Another benefit of the rubber hoods is that in their collapsed position they do a good job of helping to hold your camera level when you set it down, unless you have the grip installed.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-16-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typo
08-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Take up space? I have one 49mm rubber hood that I bought off of KEH, with "Vivitar" stamped on the side, so God only knows how only it is.....works with all of my Takumars except the 200/4.

Actually Mike I was referring to the hard plastic and metal ones taking up space. They don't take up a lot of room but certainly more than the rubber ones. I find I can't leave the hard hoods on my 50, 35 or 24mm lenses in my bag. I keep them in a separate compartment. I guess this is another plus for the rubber hoods.

Tom G
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use one of those rubber lens hoods on around 1/2 my more common lenses, and wouldn't consider using anything else

They're cheap at around $5.00, and last for years.
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I say yea, I've ended up with a few over the years, and I'm like Mike...
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #11

Hi!

I got a rubber hood for my FA50 about 2 months ago...

I'd say it bumps the contrast a bit, especially in cases where it might flare or wash-out, otherwise...

Only downside... My lens cap (not original Pentax -- I lost mine!) doesn't fit on the lens with the hood on. So, it's cap off, screw on the hood, then shoot. Not a major gripe, but perhaps the only downside to using it.
I still take the extra step most of the time when I use it.

ps. I don't use typically use filters, even UV.

-Chris
08-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One other minor con to the rubber hood is the focus ring on the FA50 is so small that the hood does get in the way of your fingers in Manual focus.
08-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks like the majority here favour the rubber hood. It makes sense as it will do the job much more economically. I still prefer the hard plastic hoods as I think they offer a little more protection for the lens. It seems to be an apples/oranges debate. Go with the one that makes you happy.

Tom G
08-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #14

I own two, one from ebay and one from 2filter (made by Hoya). The Hoya lens hood is better quality, but doesn't work very well with lens caps. I use them occasionally, but mostly not, since it makes the lens larger and harder to fit in my bag. I think they're worth the 5 to 10 dollars though.
08-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have the metal hood for my Super Takumar 200/4, bought in a separate auction. Mainly bought it just for the retro appeal. In the bag I just drop it over the base mount of the lens and it rides there just fine, taking up no extra space. I got one of those kewl rectangular hoods for my 28/3.5, again mainly for the retro appeal. With digital crop factor a regular old rubber hood works fine. On my film bodies it's nice to have the "proper" hood. I just won a metal hood for my beloved 105/2.8. Five bucks and two bucks shipping, it's sort of hard to resist. Whether I'll actually use it or not remains to be seen. That rubber hood is so handy.