Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Title says it all folks. I'm looking to p/u a lens hood for my fa50 1.4. I wondered if the collapsible rubber kind were any good (I've seen these on Ebay).

Pros/cons??

Thanks in advance.

c[_]
After I have had several pictures destoyed by reflections in filters, I run with no UV or Skylight filters. (Yes, they were all Hoya super SMC or similar quality). The lens hood therefor also serves protecting the front lens. I used to have a rubber one (while I still used filters), but when that fell apart, I did try another solution that has worked fine for me (for the 50mm). I just have a couple of filter rings on the lens, without any glass in them. I think I have two rings which gives enough lens protection for physical damage, but will not always give enough light protection of course. If I need more I use the hand to shade the lens. Works for me and helps keepig the lens small.

08-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I use a Kalt 49mm metal hood on my FA50. Works a treat. Prefer metal to rubber. Brilliant buy @ $7.50 from B&H...was looking at the B+W metal hood, but why pay $23 when the $7.50 option is available.
08-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
After I have had several pictures destoyed by reflections in filters, I run with no UV or Skylight filters. (Yes, they were all Hoya super SMC or similar quality). The lens hood therefor also serves protecting the front lens. I used to have a rubber one (while I still used filters), but when that fell apart, I did try another solution that has worked fine for me (for the 50mm). I just have a couple of filter rings on the lens, without any glass in them. I think I have two rings which gives enough lens protection for physical damage, but will not always give enough light protection of course. If I need more I use the hand to shade the lens. Works for me and helps keepig the lens small.
That's a very good point! The "protection factor" would be much better than the rubber hood, and it would allow mf (which I don't particularly use on this lens), and lens cap usage to remain easy.

This may be a dumb questions, but where do you get filter rings with no lenses?

c[_]
08-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #19

This may be a dumb questions, but where do you get filter rings with no lenses?

c[_]
You smash out the glass on old cheap not used filters...

08-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Figured it was a simple response.

c[_]
08-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Just so we remember the true purpose of photography, chicks think glassless filters are poindextery while a rubber at the end of your lens is hot, and thoughtful too. Metal hoods, only if they are those square or rectangular ones, or ventilated. Ventilated rectangular rubber hoods would be the best of all.
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Any hood is better than no hood. With the crop factor, one can go with a deeper hood than the original ones meant for the 50mm. Personally if you want to use filters, either go for the best (B+W, Heliopan, Rodenstock, Kenko Pro 1) or don't use one at all. I prefer the hard plastic/metal hoods better than rubber ones.

08-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
I use a Kalt 49mm metal hood on my FA50. Works a treat. Prefer metal to rubber. Brilliant buy @ $7.50 from B&H...was looking at the B+W metal hood, but why pay $23 when the $7.50 option is available.
Very intuitive and correct.
08-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
Forum Member

Title says it all folks. I'm looking to p/u a lens hood for my fa50 1.4. I wondered if the collapsible rubber kind were any good (I've seen these on Ebay).

Pros/cons??

Thanks in advance.

c[_]
I have a cheap rubber hood for my 50mm which I got of of eBay for like $4.00. I like it and especially like the way that it "collapses down" into a sort of rubber pancake when not in use. Much easier to carry around than a regular plastic molded hood.
08-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
Forum Member

Yay and A-Ok!

Been using a rubber hood on my FA50 1.4 from Wolf Camera for over a year and I think it's really great. My lens cap snaps in fine as well because the the hood threads screw in to the lens (male) and somehow they replicated the female lens on the outside of the hood so the cap fits inside the hood just like it would the lens. WOW, NOT SURE I EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT I JUST WROTE. Suffice to say the lens cap on the FA50 1.4 mounts fine in my rubber hood from Wolf Camera Shop. You might just stop in and try one if in doubt.
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a rubber hood that I fished from the junk bin at the local camera shop on my A 50/1.7 and use a rigid metal hoods (from the bay) on my M 50/1.7 and Jupiter-9. Both work fine on my K10D. The rubber hood is handy and works well with the snap-on type lens caps. The metal hoods provide better "bump protection" but must be removed before attaching a lens cap. As mentioned above, the metal caps, often as not, nest nicely over the lens rear cap for stowage. (I use a plastic sandwich bag over the hood to avoid scratches.)

Steve

Here is the link to the *Bay merchant:

Lens Hoods

(Great seller, BTW)
08-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by memira Quote
You smash out the glass on old cheap not used filters...
Generally, you don't need to smash the glass. Use a spanner or something pointy to unscrew the retaining ring that holds the glass in.

Steve
08-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I recently ran across this online vendor:

Other Brand Hoods

I haven't tried them OR their products, but if you flip through the pages of their lens hood offerings, you'll see that they have various sizes of metal screw-on hoods with lens caps that fit the OUTSIDE of the hood, which is a darn good idea if you ask me.

They also have a wide variety of step-up/down rings and such.

Has anyone else tried them? I probably will order a hood or two, just to check them out. Their ebay store is rated at 99.9%, so I'm hopeful.
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a 'hoodie' rather than a 'filterer' Not only do the lens hoods provide protection for stray light, (and I shoot a lot of back lit stuff, so this is important) but they also provide protection for the front element. The only filters I use are CP's or ND's. I also store all my lenses differently than most. All of my lenses are in third party soft cases, either the Adorama "Slinger" cases or the Lowepro ones. That being the case (pun intended) unless the hood self stores backwards on the lens like many of the bayonette ones do or retracts onto the body, all of my hoods are the rubber collapseable ones. as that way they fit into the case along with the lens. (I dislike having to screw on the hood every time I mount the lens) I've found they work great, and take up very little extra room. To the poster who complained about his lens cap not fitting with the hood, my answer to that is to get the caps that fit inside the filter ring rather than over it, that way the cap will clip right into the threads inside the rubber hood. I've also had no problem with vignetting. I use a "normal" rubber hood on my FA 20mm and have had no vignetting problems with it, and it provides better protection against stray light than the "wide" one does.

NaCl(cheap, do the job, and take up no space...what more do you want)H2O
08-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pros/cons??
Thanks in advance.
c[_]
I hate rubber hoods. They provide no protection and are like dust magnet. With plastic or metal hoods I can store my lenses upside down in bag w/o cap, can't do with rubber.