Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FA lenses on K-S2

Are FA lenses worth buying, for use on digital cameras? There are lots of FA lenses available online for a fraction of the price of new DA lenses. Are they tuned to perform on digital cameras? Is there any compromise on image quality? I have shortlisted a couple of FA LENSES. 1) SMC Pentax FA 85mm 2.8. 2) SMC Pentax FA 100mm 2.8. 3) SMC Pentax 50mm 2.8. 4) SMC Pentax FA 200mm 2.8. 5) SMC Pentax FA 135mm 2.8. The camera I would use them on is Pentax K-S2. I have no problems with manual focusing. In fact I prefer it. But autofocus is fine. What matters to me is pictures quality. Previously I used to use Canon EOS 1200D. Not mine, a neighbour's camera. She rarely uses it. So I used to use it. But now I'm going to buy a K-S2. I have a limited budget, that's why I'm talking about these old lenses. All of your thoughts, reviews, personal experience and opinions are welcome. Thanking you in Advance.

06-20-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi!
Among the listed FA 100/2.8 and FA 135/2.8 were I used on K-30, both of which excellent lenses.
06-20-2017, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You're coming to us from the Canon world?

Welcome aboard.

Many of these lenses are excellent value.

Unlike the old Canon FD lenses, they will work perfectly well on your modern Pentax.

I myself use the FA35, FA31 and FA77 on my K-1, and was thinking about the FA 135.

06-20-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least at this point, there's a lot more excellent, used, full-frame glass than glass for crop cameras.

The only wrinkle is the crop-factor of the APS-C sensor.

06-20-2017, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Are FA lenses worth buying, for use on digital cameras? There are lots of FA lenses available online for a fraction of the price of new DA lenses. Are they tuned to perform on digital cameras? Is there any compromise on image quality? I have shortlisted a couple of FA LENSES. 1) SMC Pentax FA 85mm 2.8. 2) SMC Pentax FA 100mm 2.8. 3) SMC Pentax 50mm 2.8. 4) SMC Pentax FA 200mm 2.8. 5) SMC Pentax FA 135mm 2.8. The camera I would use them on is Pentax K-S2. I have no problems with manual focusing. In fact I prefer it. But autofocus is fine. What matters to me is pictures quality. Previously I used to use Canon EOS 1200D. Not mine, a neighbour's camera. She rarely uses it. So I used to use it. But now I'm going to buy a K-S2. I have a limited budget, that's why I'm talking about these old lenses. All of your thoughts, reviews, personal experience and opinions are welcome. Thanking you in Advance.

F and FA lenses are all autofocus and will work on the k-s2. The FA 85mm F2.8 is a special lens. It is soft which was hot in the eighties for people who liked to shoot playboy style. When you don't need AF you can look at Pentax-A lenses. They have automatic light metering but no AF. Cheapest to get are the Pentax-m lenses, you have to meter light manually in m-mode using the green button. Older zoom lenses are often cheaper than primes. None of these lenses were designed for digital but that doesn't really matter. The Ks-2 uses aps-c crop. There is an advantage to that because you are only using the middle part of the image circle, which is the sharpest part. Disadvantage is that there is very little wide angle available and lens aberrations appear larger because you zoom in on the image compared to film. There are also a lot of third party lenses that can be used. Take a look in our lens database:
Pentax Lenses: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Third Party Lenses: Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
Keep in mind that you need an adapter for the m42 screw mount lenses in the database.
06-20-2017, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
At least at this point, there's a lot more excellent, used, full-frame glass than glass for crop cameras.

I don't think that's an issue, Tim.

A full frame lens works on APS-C just fine, as Pentaxians prior to the K-1 have known for years. In fact, only the best 50 percent of it is being used.

Going the other way round can be more problematic.
06-20-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Any of those lenses will be fine on your K-S2. They'll probably out-perform your ability for years to come.

06-20-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are FA lenses worth buying, for use on digital cameras?
Short answer is: probably. They will certainly work on your camera. But keep in mind that FA lenses were made in a different era and the line has both pro quality glass and absolute junk. If you buy a cheap 'kit' lens from that era you will likely be disappointed. However, the good glass in both the F and FA lines is right up there with anything you can get in the DA line, but usually (though not always) less expensive. Watch out for lenses that are really collector items now as the price is much higher due to the collector status.

These lenses are not optimized for digital but they do work. The coatings on older lenses are not up to modern standards and lens hoods are really important to use. They might exhibit more purple fringing than a modern lens. Also, they will all be screwdrive AF, so if you are looking for silent AF or in lens motors they have neither.

Check the lens database at the top of the forum page before buying.

The ones you have listed are all worth buying. The 85mm is a 'soft' lens with very specific uses, make sure you understand those before buying. The 100mm and 50mm macros are as good as you can get. The 200mm f/2.8 is excellent. The 135 f/2.8 is also as good as it gets.
06-20-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think that's an issue, Tim.

A full frame lens works on APS-C just fine, as Pentaxians prior to the K-1 have known for years. In fact, only the best 50 percent of it is being used.

Going the other way round can be more problematic.
Never meant it was an issue, just that it means the apparent focal length isn't what is etched on the lens.
06-20-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

the apparent focal length isn't what is etched on the lens.

focal length is focal length. The associated field of view is different. If you want to shoot wide angle you need a 24mm lens or lower. (But that is easily solved by just using the 18-55mm kit lens)
06-20-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Short answer is: probably. They will certainly work on your camera. But keep in mind that FA lenses were made in a different era and the line has both pro quality glass and absolute junk. If you buy a cheap 'kit' lens from that era you will likely be disappointed. However, the good glass in both the F and FA lines is right up there with anything you can get in the DA line, but usually (though not always) less expensive. Watch out for lenses that are really collector items now as the price is much higher due to the collector status.

These lenses are not optimized for digital but they do work. The coatings on older lenses are not up to modern standards and lens hoods are really important to use. They might exhibit more purple fringing than a modern lens. Also, they will all be screwdrive AF, so if you are looking for silent AF or in lens motors they have neither.

Check the lens database at the top of the forum page before buying.

The ones you have listed are all worth buying. The 85mm is a 'soft' lens with very specific uses, make sure you understand those before buying. The 100mm and 50mm macros are as good as you can get. The 200mm f/2.8 is excellent. The 135 f/2.8 is also as good as it gets.
Yes I know. I have read reviews, but still had some doubts whether they'll work without compromising image quality. But thanks for clearing that up.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
focal length is focal length. The associated field of view is different. If you want to shoot wide angle you need a 24mm lens or lower. (But that is easily solved by just using the 18-55mm kit lens)
Well the kit lens aren't exactly that good, there decent enough.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Any of those lenses will be fine on your K-S2. They'll probably out-perform your ability for years to come.
I'm counting on it. Don't want to spend loads of money on new lenses. Probably some FA lenses and some m42 lenses.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:35 AM ----------

F and FA lenses are all autofocus and will work on the k-s2. The FA 85mm F2.8 is a special lens. It is soft which was hot in the eighties for people who liked to shoot playboy style. When you don't need AF you can look at Pentax-A lenses. They have automatic light metering but no AF. Cheapest to get are the Pentax-m lenses, you have to meter light manually in m-mode using the green button. Older zoom lenses are often cheaper than primes. None of these lenses were designed for digital but that doesn't really matter. The Ks-2 uses aps-c crop. There is an advantage to that because you are only using the middle part of the image circle, which is the sharpest part. Disadvantage is that there is very little wide angle available and lens aberrations appear larger because you zoom in on the image compared to film. There are also a lot of third party lenses that can be used. Take a look in our lens database:
Pentax Lenses: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Third Party Lenses: Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
Keep in mind that you need an adapter for the m42 screw mount lenses in the database.
Yes probably looking to purchase FA and FA* lenses if I get a good deal. Yes I know, I saw the Pentax made adapters on Amazon. I heard that ones made in Philippines had some sort of issue.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by xabolcs Quote
Hi!
Among the listed FA 100/2.8 and FA 135/2.8 were I used on K-30, both of which excellent lenses.
Post some pictures! I would love to see them in action. Image quality matters to me.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're coming to us from the Canon world?

Welcome aboard.

Many of these lenses are excellent value.

Unlike the old Canon FD lenses, they will work perfectly well on your modern Pentax.

I myself use the FA35, FA31 and FA77 on my K-1, and was thinking about the FA 135.
Well have been trying to convert my friends too. But after being acquired by RICOH, Pentax limited it's operations in India. The Pentax K-70 costs just as much as Canon EOS 80D in India. Very bad move by RICOH. Hopefully they come to their senses soon. India is a big market.

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 08:41 AM ----------

Well it can be a boon in disguise. Depends on what angle you're looking at.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-20-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Removed vulgarity per forum rules
06-20-2017, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Well the kit lens aren't exactly that good, there decent enough.

There are third party alternatives. Try to find a second hand Sigma 17-70 2.8-4/4.5 or Tamron 17-50 2.8. Or an old DA 16-45 F4 or second hand DA 17-70 F4.
06-20-2017, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have read reviews, but still had some doubts whether they'll work without compromising image quality.
In general they work very well. Especially the ones you selected. Also, there is not that many options for what you are looking for.
The 85 soft was never made in a DA version so the F and FA are the only ones available. And most likely the only ones ever to be available.
The 100mm and 50mm macros are available in DA versions, well D FA, but aside from some feature set changes I doubt anyone could tell DA from FA image wise.
There is a DA*200 f/2.8 but I have never used either it or the FA version so cannot really compare.
The 135mm f/2.8 has no DA equivalent. The DA*50-135 f/2.8 was the DA replacement for that focal length as apparently it was felt a zoom would be adequate to cover the portrait lengths.
06-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are third party alternatives. Try to find a second hand Sigma 17-70 2.8-4/4.5 or Tamron 17-50 2.8. Or an old DA 16-45 F4 or second hand DA 17-70 F4.
Actually I have seen the Tarmon lens on eBay. The seller 99.7% rating. And he it's selling the lens for 30$ and the lens is in excellent condition, as described. Even the pictures are proof

---------- Post added 06-20-17 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
In general they work very well. Especially the ones you selected. Also, there is not that many options for what you are looking for.
The 85 soft was never made in a DA version so the F and FA are the only ones available. And most likely the only ones ever to be available.
The 100mm and 50mm macros are available in DA versions, well D FA, but aside from some feature set changes I doubt anyone could tell DA from FA image wise.
There is a DA*200 f/2.8 but I have never used either it or the FA version so cannot really compare.
The 135mm f/2.8 has no DA equivalent. The DA*50-135 f/2.8 was the DA replacement for that focal length as apparently it was felt a zoom would be adequate to cover the portrait lengths.
Well if you consider m42 as replacement there are loads on Carl Zeiss jena 135mm lens on eBay, in mint condition. Actually the FA lenses does have a different look to them. They look like some space age guns. Tbh
06-20-2017, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Actually I have seen the Tarmon lens on eBay. The seller 99.7% rating. And he it's selling the lens for 30$ and the lens is in excellent condition, as described. Even the pictures are proof
eBay happens to be my favorite place to buy (mostly used) lenses -- it's always nice to find a lens for much cheaper than the going rate, and be able to win or buy it.

That said, there are often deals on lenses as part of a bundle, or by themselves on the marketplace here.