Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #76
Forum Member

Yes, the biologist on board said one of the whales had a cold so that was possibly a contributory factor. The smell was not a surprise considering what they were up to.

11-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One more type of critter to look for on whale watches are birds, especially the pelagic birds. [Pelagic, or open-ocean birds, are distinct from the coastal birds that "commute" each morning offshore, only to return to land each night (such as gulls) -- pelagic birds remain over the water entirely for months at a time, only returning to land fro breeding during one short part of the year.] Some examples of New England waters pelagic birds follow:

Many birds (both coastal and pelagic) can often found in the vicinity of whales, since they often feed on the same food animals as do the whales (such as this humpback named "Pixar") --

One fairly common pelagic bird is the greater shearwater (which is just a little smaller than a herring gull) --

Shearwaters get their name because their wing tips can often be seen "shearing" the surface of the water.

Personally, I find greater shearwaters to be the most interesting and most beautiful bird in the world (YMMV, of course) --

Shearwaters, when in flight, typically alternate a few quick flaps followed by a long glide --

Here, a greater shearwater can be seen overtaking and about to pass a slower Cory's shearwater --

Cory's shearwaters are almost as large as a herring gull (although a bit less stocky) -- in New England waters, the appearance of Cory's shearwaters can vary a lot from year to year --

Most pelagic birds do not fly constantly, but do "sit down" on the water at times -- here is a raft of mostly greater shearwaters and one sooty shearwater (the dark bird to the right side in the photo) --

Sooty shearwaters are about the same size as greater shearwaters, but are a little less common in New England waters --

The largest pelagic birds in New England waters are northern gannets -- here is flock of one adult and several juveniles --

The smallest pelagic bird in many places - but perhaps the most numerous bird in the entire world - is the (maybe robin-sized) Wilson's storm petrel --

Wilson's storm petrels can often be seen in flocks "fluttering to and fro" just above the surface of the water --

At times they can even be seen to be trying to touch down ...

... to seemingly try to "walk on the water" --

A far less common pelagic bird in New England waters is the northern fulmar --

While the particular species of pelagic birds that can be seen vary by location and season, I believe it is certainly worth looking for pelagic birds (that many whale watch passengers may have never seen before) on any whale watch...

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-10-2017 at 05:48 PM.
11-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #78
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In my one extended encounter with whales ( humpbacks bubble feeding near Auk Bay close to Juneau Alaska ), I noticed two things, in addition to the whales themselves:

1 smells, which reminded me of elephants (??? ) and

2 the circling birds.

now we were on a small tourist boat, 40 or so passengers and our captain was careful in maintaining a certain distance between his vessel and the whales.

( he even yelled out at the actions of one boat that cut right through the feeding whales )

if my memory serves me correctly we were several hundred yards away
11-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #79
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
now I just need to figure out how, living in Kansas, I am going to simulate taking photos of whales from small boat rocking in the water so I can practice my technique
An off road jeep experience will certainly hone the skill set required.

12-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #80
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
An off road jeep experience will certainly hone the skill set required.
can't do the jeep

but could drink a lot of SMS and then wobble around trying to take photos
12-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #81
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
can't do the jeep

but could drink a lot of SMS and then wobble around trying to take photos
Aye that might work.
02-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
unfortunate delay in plans

As the poet [ Robert Burns ] wrote:

" . . . . But Mousie, thou are no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley, [ often go astray] . . .

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/Assets/Poems_Songs/toamouse.htm

In case anyone is interested

we had to cancel our whale watching adventure for now

Thursday, I got an unpleasant surprise -

Went for routine check of my glaucoma treatment in Topeka and they discovered the retina of my left eye is detached

I had no recognizable symptoms

had surgery later that day in Kansas City to attempt to reattach it, gas bubble was inserted to force everything into its proper place

Will have to cancel trip to Baja California to view whales

But not attempting repair will lead to blindness, so missing whales now is worth it

Best wishes for successful treatment and speedy recovery will be appreciated

folks, don't skip regular medical/dental check ups

so far so good but I am not permitted to travel in an air plane currently

since I acquire a gas bubble in the pupil, I am telling the story in the " acquisition " thread if any one is interested

I heartily recommend anyone looking for an adventure in whale watching, you check our the opportunities offered by the non profit group Oceanic Societies.org-

Oceanic Society

they offer some other amazing trips as well

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-09-2018 at 11:13 PM.
02-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Wishing you a speedy and 100% successful recovery, Aslyfox . . .
02-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'm glad you caught it before it was too late but darn! I hope you recover quickly and get back on the whale watching plans!
03-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Just saw your post today while going over older threads. I hope your surgery was successful. You can always re-book the trip another time. The whales will be there and you will have gotten a lot of good insight from this thread. Again, I hope surgery went well and you are better.
03-15-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #86
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Just saw your post today while going over older threads. I hope your surgery was successful. You can always re-book the trip another time. The whales will be there and you will have gotten a lot of good insight from this thread. Again, I hope surgery went well and you are better.
thank you

here is the update [ please forgive its length ]

the problem is in the left eye, I am right eye dominant

after surgery on 2/8 I was restricted to spend as much time as possible laying down on my right hand side, for a week I was not to read or use a computer. I was to sleep either face down or on my right side I use a cpap so I cannot sleep face down

I was to spend no time on my back or reclining.

this was to allow the free floating gas bubble placed into my eye during surgery to push the macula and retina back into contact with the back of the eye ball and the optic nerve as much as possible

after my review on 3/6 ( the surgeon granted me all of 7 minutes of his valuable time to discuss my situation )

I was told I was making progress as expected. The macula and retina had returned to the correct position and was in contact with the back of the eye ball and optic nerve.

They explained again that although the surgery did prevent total blindness they cannot predict how much vision I will eventually obtain in the eye and there was really nothing they could tell me to do that would either increase or decrease the odds of improved recovery. any loss of vision would be permanent and not correctable by glasses. How much nerve damage, if any, occurred is unknowable at this time and may not regenerate on its own, nothing can be done by man to cause such regeneration.

I am still suppose to sleep on the right side only and I spend a lot of time laying on that side as well. However I am free to be active and leave the house.

I am still to spend no time on my back or reclining. Next review early April

my overall vision is being affected more now since I am obtaining more distorted vision in my left eye and my brain is trying to juggle the images from my left and right eye

the bubble is reducing causing the distortion, my vision in the left eye is now split, the portion covered by the bubble and the portion not covered. and the bubble being free floating shifts and I cannot control it. I might have part of the top not affected by the bubble and then it is the left or right side.

The bubble is expected to be absorbed in mid april

until it is gone, I cannot fly nor change altitudes to any significant degree

so the unknowable outcome, which might take months, is the worse thing, I must trust that it will turn out well and however it turns out, I must trust that there is a purpose for it happening to me.

I thank all for their best wishes and support

it helps a lot to be able to vent on the forum

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2018 at 05:15 PM.
03-18-2018, 12:21 AM   #87
Pentaxian

....... I must trust that it will turn out well and however it turns out, I must trust that there is a purpose for it happening to me.
I thank all for their best wishes and support
it helps a lot to be able to vent on the forum [/B]
Double (partial) detached retinas here in 2000 ! Today my vision is Good , but have to use reading glasses and have lots of irritating "Floaters" in both eyes.It will get better !
Stress is also very bad for healing of the eyes.
Do anything to de-stress even if its a Rx.....Worked for me.