Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #76
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It even has a little ridge inside which nicely fits the lens hood.
Is that right down inside so there is no gaps? I can't see any marks in the shots of the ones I got coming - wish I knew there was an option!.

07-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
What's wrong with the DA40 on the K1? It may be a bit tighter than the 21 on an ASPC, but it's still a pancake and can be found used for great prices. Since it is based on the old film version, it should work well on FF.

...]
I was overjoyed on viewing my DA40 shots on the viewfinder but less so on the monitor.
Thought it might prevent me lusting after the FA43 but no
07-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #78
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I was overjoyed on viewing my DA40 shots on the viewfinder but less so on the monitor.
Thought it might prevent me lusting after the FA43 but no
I went walkies with my M40mm pancake to Holly Hut to test it as a replacement for 28mm (apsc) as default trekking lens. It doesn't feel quite bleeding edge sharp in the raw but it edits quite well and if this shot is anything to go by it may have good 3d rendering properties.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1/360095d149790...p0997shdbb.jpg
07-04-2017, 02:08 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
looks tremendous, need to test the DA more

07-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #80
Veteran Member

I was overjoyed on viewing my DA40 shots on the viewfinder but less so on the monitor. Thought it might prevent me lusting after the FA43 but no
Maybe tell a little more? If you shoot raw you need to PP the photo, add a little sharpening
The other thing is that since the lens is a pancake, you have to be careful not to shake the camera. A hefty lens might be more resistant to little vibrations than a superlight pancake

Edit: If you don't mind MF, check out Voigtlander 40mm. Some say its a little sharper than the DA, and it is f2. Still pretty compact
07-04-2017, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #81
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
for instance the ones I have bought from china that look just like this 49mm Aluminum Standard Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Digital Camera | LED Lights, Photography Accessories | GumpTrade.com (probably from the same factory) are 24mm high and take a 58mm lens cap.
My 55mm standard lens hood has the same measures. 24mm high and 58mm diameter.
However, the 55mm wide angle lens hood is closer in size to the original Takumar 28mm 3.5 lens hood. The Takumar is 6x7cm, while the Chinese lens hood has a diameter of 77mm and is 22mm high.

I mounted the Chinese lens hoods on the SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5 with a 49-55mm step up ring. The Takumar lens hood is on a Super Takumar 55mm 2.0 and I used bubble wrap to match the slightly different lens height.

You should be fine with a 49mm wide angle lens hood.

Last edited by Nessie; 07-04-2017 at 04:00 AM.
07-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #82
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nessie Quote
My 55mm standard lens hood has the same measures. 24mm high and 58mm diameter.
However, the 55mm wide angle lens hood is closer in size to the original Takumar 28mm 3.5 lens hood. The Takumar is 6x7cm, while the Chinese lens hood has a diameter of 77mm and is 22mm high.

I mounted the Chinese lens hoods on the SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5 with a 49-55mm step up ring. The Takumar lens hood is on a Super Takumar 55mm 2.0 and I used bubble wrap to match the slightly different lens height.

You should be fine with a 49mm wide angle lens hood.
I suspect the wideangle hood will do the job. A good option to try if I don't like the petal ones coming.

07-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #83
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hold fire on hoods Pete - I got 20 of these coming in a week or so - hopefully they will do the trick. Even the short round metal ones at Ali are too long for the 28s. Going to the K1 from the K01 has been a bit of an upset are far as hoods are concerned. Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
EDIT This link might work better 10pcs/lot 49mm Flower Petal sharped Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax free shipping-in Camera Lens Hood from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Update on these lens hoods. They vignette but not because of the petals. They are designed with a locking whorl on the filter thread so you can tighten it to the correct orientation. The extra thread required for the whorl means the inside of the hood has too much of a shoulder and vignettes @ 28mm onFF.
07-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Gub
would pruning the petal help ?
I have a bandsaw
07-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #85
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Gub
would pruning the petal help ?
I have a bandsaw
Na it is not the petal. But removing some filter thread might work. I will get one to you when I can.
07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #86
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StefanMikes Quote
Does it. An APS-C lens? In the FF or Crop mode?
Yes, it does just fine in FF mode.
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Several APS-C primes do just fine on FF in FF mode.
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2017, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StefanMikes Quote
Although I much agree with these views, let us bear in mind the fame of the FA31 originated in the times when none of Pentax-brand owners ever planned making an FF digital SLR. FA31 is certainly excellent with APS-C but I believe it is not the top lens for high resolution FF sensor; it is enough to study the MTF figures. The FA31 was tested by Photozone at 10 Mpx and the center resolution at f/1.8 was 1848.5 lw/ph. Sigma A 35 as tested on an FF Nikon gave center resolution of 3262 lw/ph at f/1.4. You don't need pixel-peeking to determine that: It is clearly visible in pictures taken.

Although certainly the FA31 is a respectable lens, its high price and the old design make the lens natural to be reused by existing owners on the K-1 body but I would think thrice before I recommended the FA31 to a new user. Why to pay twice what you spend for Sigma to buy a lens that is outresolved by the K-1 sensor? And well, a 6-degree angle of view difference between both lenses? Is it worth paying the double price? I doubt and that's why I chose the Sigma for my coming K-1 body though I could afford the Pentax Limited lens.
1848 on 10MP APSC with low pass filter mechanically means 2772 on a a 24MP FF with low pass filter. Now that bring both lenses within 15% of each other. Because the systems are different, may have different low pass filter and due to sample variation, from that one sample it is quite hard to conclude the FA would perform any worse on that nikon FF is you where to manage the conversion.

But more importantly, the 16MP shows that the FA31 manage 2403 wide open on a 16MP APSC with low pass filter... So that about 3600 on a 36MP with low pass filter. On what can typically expected by removing the low pass filter, you could add 10-20% more resolution, so more than 4000. That's at f/1.8

Closed down a bit the FA31 saturate the 16MP APSC sensor at just f/2.8 setting meaning it would outresolve the K1 too...

There nothing to fear.

To be honest, in the 28-85mm range any prime lens is going to out resolve a mere 36MP sensor at least on the center. In fact there no bad lens in that focal range. Basically any 30 year old manual lens on K1 is going to mop the floor with the sigma if it is only put on a 24MP Nikon FF...

The choice shouldn't be the sharpness as all lenses perform well in that focal range but more the size/weight, the rendering, the price... The FA31 has a typical FA rendering that is quite different from many modern lenses and has also exceptional bokeh for a lens of that type.

The sigma is nice but is big/heavy, noticably its doesn't provide in body lens corrections for the jpegs and the rendering is different. But it provide f/1.4. That the main reason to buy it: f/1.4 instead of f/1.8-f/2.

As both are very expensive, as a potential buyer I would really be carefull at what rendering I prefer, potentially less dof, heavier/bulkier gear or the rendering of the FA31... Also I'll consider the framing I'll prefer. FA31 is a bit wider and the sigma a bit narrower.

To me at 31-35mm on FF, I'am not sure there that much use for the extra 0.5 stop. I dislike unecessary bulkyness/weight and finally I tend to prefer the rendering of the old FA to modern lenses so the choice would be obviously FA28, FA31 or FA35. As I already own the 31, that would be it, except if I was to sell it for an FA28 as f/1.8 and outstanding bokeh is a bit of a waste for me as such focal length on FF and I get lighter/smaller lenses and get back some cash. I'd never consider the sigma as it is simply too big to be a pleasure to use.

Other people will prioritize different aspects, maybe the max apperture. Or they particularly dislike the FA type of rendering and for them the sigma might be the best choice.

In all cases, we can't really decide for them.

Today I use the FA31 on APSC. The performance from photozone of about 2400 wide open on 16MP with low pass filter hint that on my K3, 24MP and no low pass filter I already get comparable resolution to the sigma on the Nikon FF. For me it serve more as a standard 50mm equivalent of course. A bit wider and I appreciate that. I use the lens reguarly and I am often stunned of its performance. It is extremely sharp at all settings and render beautifully. Better than most lenses I tried in the range. That lens is outstanding.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-16-2017 at 08:36 AM.
07-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Na it is not the petal. But removing some filter thread might work. I will get one to you when I can.
no rush mate

I have received the F28/2.8 and had a couple of little walkies with it...
first, as wished, it is very compact and light.
My arthritic wrists can now heft the K-1 one handed if need be.
I like the appearance of it, I think more than the F lens.
I've already permitted a couple of photogs to read my big coloured "28" on the side
a fixed lens...they say

someone asked earlier for comparison shots with the DA21...I will assemble some shortly
though a bit gun shy after a recent lens comparison I attempted hit the user idiot feature